GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all:

I am writing to seek your advice, and I hope you have a few minutes to respond.

I am 59 and currently ride a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special in Crushed Ice Pearl (similar in color to the Honda). I bought it while I was living in Sarasota, Florida I traded a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 for it.

Harleys are all the rage in that part of Florida, and I liked the idea of riding a big bike. It’s a great bike on the long flat stretches of highway in Florida. We are from Philadelphia and realized a few years in that Florida was not for us. We decided to move half way back to Raleigh, North Carolina. They have a term for people like us- halfbackers. The riding here is great-winding road, valleys and mountains.

I have been researching the DCT Tour since last year and want to buy one. I did a test ride, I and got the hang of operating a shiftless motorcycle fairly easily. Watching Cruiseman's videos has helped seal the deal.

Notwithstanding all of the above excess and irrelevant verbiage, my question to any of you: with all that you know about your motorcycle, would you be happy to buy it again, or would you hold out for the 2020 model? For me, the 2020 is out of my price range. I know there has been mention of an issue with slow speed “clunking” when downshifting. Is that an issue to be concerned about? In addition, I know that many don’t like the navigation system; I’m okay with that, as I would use the GPS in my iPhone via Apple Play. I don’t care about the passenger handrails, and the extra USP connector would be nice, but I could live without it.

As for lighting, I believe you can never have enough to be noticed. I have significant lighting front and back on my Harley, and I would do the same on the Honda.

I hope you have time to respond to my questions. I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Dan

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I'm looking hard at the new DCT's. For me and my riding style/disabilities I would get the backrest. With that said, I happened across this video, it's a riding impression from a Harley rider. Pretty much sums it up... (edit: my understanding is the DCT reset procedure that @FredH has posted takes care of the shifting issue).

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
There isn't a huge difference between a 2018 and 2020 DCT. Some of the small things they have done to the 2020 are nice but not such an upgrade as the justify the difference in cost, provided you can get a 2018 at a significantly discounted price. The fog lights are good, but I prefer the aftermarket options as opposed to the Honda accessory. And as you mention, the grab rails would be nice for strapping things down, but can also be added if that is needed.

I believe Honda designed the seat for a 70kg / 140lb rider, so unless you fit into that design spec, you are going to need a new seat. Depending on how soft or hard you prefer, there are a range of options (Wingsoft to Corbin ) and price ranges.

Here is a list of options I have on my 2018, rated by my priority:
1. Seat
2. Seat
3. Stand alone GPS (I have several that I can use)
4. Fog Lights
5. Back Rest (I have the Honda accessory and it works ok)
6. Goldwing Isolation Fuse Box (I really like the Show Chrome design)
7. Garage Door Opener
8. Rear Brake Light Strobe
9. Road Pegs (nice add on but not used much)
10. Did I mention the seat?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The difference in price between the 2018 and the 2020, doesn't justify the small improvements in the 2020 model...unless you really like the 2020 colors.
I ride exclusively for pleasure mountain and canyon roads in Colorado and my 2018 Tour DCT is perfect. Never needed to do any DCT initialization.
If you ride constantly in traffic and urban environment you experience could be different, but I leave this judgment to other owners.
You can add extra lights for less than $400 if you do it yourself. Again I never felt the need for it in daylight.
The only accessories I added in 2 years is the driver backrest and the Heli handlebar risers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a very old Goldwing bought new in 1978, but switched in 1995 to a VT1100C2 Shadow ACE. My decision to go back to Goldwing is mainly to upgrade safety (ABS, lighting etc). The pre-2018s just looked too big so I have been holding off for about 8 years. More time for research. I have rented a few large bikes (BMW,HD) but that convinced me to stick with Honda. Here are my decisions:

I keep my bikes a long time so I don't care about resale value or which bike is more popular. My previous bikes had just small leather saddlebags so the 2018+ smaller bags is of no consequence. I had a trunk on my old Goldwing, took it off, and lost it somewhere. Trunks looks like child booster seat to me, and I am usually one up so I looked at F6B but still too large. When the 2018s came out I liked the size and safety features.

The Tour has heated seats, and a centre stand and electronic pre-load, however removing the trunk is both time consuming and cost prohibitive. Too bad the trunk was not detachable. I might miss the heated seats but can't remember thinking I wish my seat was heated. The electronic preload is set to one of 4 positions. If it was variable I might want it but for one up don't need it. The Tour DCT here (Canada) cost $37,877

So I decided to look closely at DCT and went for 3 test rides. In 50 years I can think of twice where I wished for an automatic and that was stuck for hours in a traffic jam at about 3 mph one in LA and one in Seattle . So rather than seeing how nice DCT changed gears or how fast, I tried to simulate a traffic jam and found I didn't like DCT in stop and go. DCT here is $1400.

That left GoldWing and color. Color is very subjective but I will say one thing: My preference was matte silver. Unfortunately every time I saw a demo matte silver, it was scuffed up and small scratches were highly visible on the fenders etc. I almost bought one when dealer said the scuffs could be polished out. He sent it to the shop and after polishing it still looked scuffed.

While my choice was based on color, I waited to see what changes the 2020 models might have and found some very small upgrades but almost nothing for the model I wanted.

In the end I had another dealer scour for an unused 2018 in the color I really liked and have just bought that bike for $22,000 and then tax totaling $25,000. Saved $12,877 but have no trunk and need to remember to shift.

G.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy my 2018 again! I luv the blacked out engine/frame on the 2020 DCT Tour, but not enough to trade in my 2018.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've had my '18 DCT Tour since March of 2018. I've done the Clutch Initialization Procedure and my bike shifts great. The only real issue(s) I've had is with my heated grips - they went out and I've yet to get them fixed and the seat can be less than perfect after a couple hours of riding. But, that might be true of most seats. I have added farkles like the LED brake light and then added the EC strobe and brake run light cables. I also added the EC fog lights, but I haven't added a fuse block - yet.
My previous bike was a '09 Road King that was a pretty nice H-D, but it did exhibit H-D traits (it developed a small oil leak from somewhere around the shift linkage). Unfortunately, I wrecked that bike and in looking around for a replacement I was down to the 2018 Road Glide Ultra and the 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour. It was a near thing as I have a large inventory of Harley t-shirts and they just don't go well with the 'Wing. But, after much deliberation, numerous brews, and consultation with some of my riding buddies, I decided on the DCT Tour. My arthritic hands also helped in making that decision as shifting the tranny was becoming more painful. All my riding buddies pointed out that I was looking at a first year model. I thought long and hard about that and then realized I was talking about a Goldwing. Even their first year models are pretty good. So, I cut my riding buddies off from drinking my brews and made the purchase.
As far as motorcycle purchases go, this has been by far the best decision I've made to date. Would I do it again? Yes, but I won't worry about the t-shirts so much anymore. So, my recommendation is to crack open a cold one and don't overthink this. A 2018 DCT Tour is a nobrainer IMHO. Ride safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for confirming my decision to go with the 2018. As for jfink‘s suggestions:

1. It’s nice to see the price for the Wingsoft rebuild on the seat. My Mustang seat on my Harley cost much more.

2. Nice that the bike has Apple Play, I like its GPS app, so my navigation needs are met.

3. I plan to go with the Pathfinder foglights/driving lights; they seem to be more powerful and less expensive than the Honda lights. In addition, I want them to be wired to be on at all times.

4. On my Harley, I have an Admore Lighting unit on the rear. It has a strobe light that flashes when braking, as well as flashing red leds. It also doubles as turn signals. I plan to move that over to the Honda and download the appropriate software for it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I purchased my 2018 DCT in April 2019. my last four bikes consisted of an Ultra, two Street Glides and a Road Glide. At the risk of sounding like a cliche, I simply grew tired of getting them repaired.

I have no regrets with the DCT. I rarely ride in auto mode because I prefer to shift. That’s the benefit, you can shift or not shift, it's your choice. Honda makes a foot shifter if you want to add it. In auto mode, I’ve had no issues with first or any other gear. I’m glad a I purchased the Tour because to me the trunk is worth it. It’s easy to buy it with the trunk and harder to add it later.
I added a windshield, Helibar risers, and highway pegs, but I added those (handlebars) to my Harley’s too. People complain about the stock seat, but it's the first stock seat that worked for me in 40 years. My biggest gripe with the GW? The GPS. Honda could have done better on the GPS, but being able to use Google maps kind of makes up for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i waited until the dealer dropped the prices on the 18 when they were trying to move inventory to make room for the 19’s. All the things I have added so far- Russel day long seat, fog lights, rear trunk lights, trunk rack, hitch, tall grab bars... still comes out to less money than buying a 19/20 wing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hello, all:

I am writing to seek your advice, and I hope you have a few minutes to respond.

I am 59 and currently ride a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special in Crushed Ice Pearl (similar in color to the Honda). I bought it while I was living in Sarasota, Florida I traded a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 for it.

Harleys are all the rage in that part of Florida, and I liked the idea of riding a big bike. It’s a great bike on the long flat stretches of highway in Florida. We are from Philadelphia and realized a few years in that Florida was not for us. We decided to move half way back to Raleigh, North Carolina. They have a term for people like us- halfbackers. The riding here is great-winding road, valleys and mountains.

I have been researching the DCT Tour since last year and want to buy one. I did a test ride, I and got the hang of operating a shiftless motorcycle fairly easily. Watching Cruiseman's videos has helped seal the deal.

Notwithstanding all of the above excess and irrelevant verbiage, my question to any of you: with all that you know about your motorcycle, would you be happy to buy it again, or would you hold out for the 2020 model? For me, the 2020 is out of my price range. I know there has been mention of an issue with slow speed “clunking” when downshifting. Is that an issue to be concerned about? In addition, I know that many don’t like the navigation system; I’m okay with that, as I would use the GPS in my iPhone via Apple Play. I don’t care about the passenger handrails, and the extra USP connector would be nice, but I could live without it.

As for lighting, I believe you can never have enough to be noticed. I have significant lighting front and back on my Harley, and I would do the same on the Honda.

I hope you have time to respond to my questions. I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Dan
Dan I had the 2017 streetglide and bought the 2018 Goldwin dtc and have never regretted my choice. The honda is far better bike but like you said Harley's have more appeal to certain people. Buy the DCT and make the neccsary changes to suit your self, been there .

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Like said a few posts back, one thing to consider is how long you generally own a motorcycle to decide what is best option. If you like best new tech, and don't keep long, get the DCT. If you plan to keep for 10,20 years then you will be in a world of agony.with the DCT.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would buy another DCT Tour in a heartbeat if something happened to this one! Last bike before was a 2004 GW I had for 13 years.

Test rode a HD Limited and BMW GTL. Almost bought the BMW as I really liked it but now I'm glad I bought the GW DCT Tour.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2018 Tour
1. Seat; Airhawk, done
2. Fender extender
3. Highway pegs
4. Rider backrest;
5. Removed trunk. Need to buy a quick detach kit
6. Tie strap brackets on passenger handrails
7. Tie down brackets under steering for transport.
8. Do the CIP more often then I need to but it makes me feel better.

Disappointed with rear tire wear, 12,000 miles and it's time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've ridden my friends street glides and road glides, but when I swung a leg over the Wing and rode it, I was sold. I've never been a Harley guy and I value function over form. If you can get a 18 or 19 at a huge savings I would say go for it. My trans is quiet. And I have no problem riding in traffic. It operates fine.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts