GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I took my wife on an Ultra Glide, once. I didn't make it a full city block and she told me to go back. She likes her Goldwing. She will tolerate my R1250GS...but barely. LOL

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have a 2018 DCT, no doubt I would buy it again knowing I would make all the changes again. I would buy the 2020 just because it is two years newer and is little bit improved. Can't go wrong with either choice.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Like said a few posts back, one thing to consider is how long you generally own a motorcycle to decide what is best option. If you like best new tech, and don't keep long, get the DCT. If you plan to keep for 10,20 years then you will be in a world of agony.with the DCT.
I'm in a world of agony just reading this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, all:

I am writing to seek your advice, and I hope you have a few minutes to respond.

I am 59 and currently ride a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special in Crushed Ice Pearl (similar in color to the Honda). I bought it while I was living in Sarasota, Florida I traded a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 for it.

Harleys are all the rage in that part of Florida, and I liked the idea of riding a big bike. It’s a great bike on the long flat stretches of highway in Florida. We are from Philadelphia and realized a few years in that Florida was not for us. We decided to move half way back to Raleigh, North Carolina. They have a term for people like us- halfbackers. The riding here is great-winding road, valleys and mountains.

I have been researching the DCT Tour since last year and want to buy one. I did a test ride, I and got the hang of operating a shiftless motorcycle fairly easily. Watching Cruiseman's videos has helped seal the deal.

Notwithstanding all of the above excess and irrelevant verbiage, my question to any of you: with all that you know about your motorcycle, would you be happy to buy it again, or would you hold out for the 2020 model? For me, the 2020 is out of my price range. I know there has been mention of an issue with slow speed “clunking” when downshifting. Is that an issue to be concerned about? In addition, I know that many don’t like the navigation system; I’m okay with that, as I would use the GPS in my iPhone via Apple Play. I don’t care about the passenger handrails, and the extra USP connector would be nice, but I could live without it.

As for lighting, I believe you can never have enough to be noticed. I have significant lighting front and back on my Harley, and I would do the same on the Honda.

I hope you have time to respond to my questions. I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Dan
I own a 2018 Dct and it does clunk sometimes when down shifting on its own ,but you can put it into manual mode and ride through corners with out any shifting unless you decide to change gears.the wing will out handle the Harley,no question and its suspension is far superior than harleys.take one for a drive on nice twisty road and check it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, all:

I am 59 and currently ride a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special in Crushed Ice Pearl (similar in color to the Honda). I bought it while I was living in Sarasota, Florida I traded a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 for it.

Harleys are all the rage in that part of Florida, and I liked the idea of riding a big bike. It’s a great bike on the long flat stretches of highway in Florida. We are from Philadelphia and realized a few years in that Florida was not for us. We decided to move half way back to Raleigh, North Carolina. They have a term for people like us- halfbackers. The riding here is great-winding road, valleys and mountains.

I have been researching the DCT Tour since last year and want to buy one. I did a test ride, I and got the hang of operating a shiftless motorcycle fairly easily. Watching Cruiseman's videos has helped seal the deal.

Notwithstanding all of the above excess and irrelevant verbiage, my question to any of you: with all that you know about your motorcycle, would you be happy to buy it again, or would you hold out for the 2020 model? For me, the 2020 is out of my price range. I know there has been mention of an issue with slow speed “clunking” when downshifting. Is that an issue to be concerned about? In addition, I know that many don’t like the navigation system; I’m okay with that, as I would use the GPS in my iPhone via Apple Play. I don’t care about the passenger handrails, and the extra USP connector would be nice, but I could live without it.

As for lighting, I believe you can never have enough to be noticed. I have significant lighting front and back on my Harley, and I would do the same on the Honda.

Thank you.

Dan
Dan, I’ve logged over 1/2 million miles in over 60 years on quite a few Japanese, British, German, and US bikes. I’m on my 3rd Wing and have logged over 1/4 miles on Wings. I really love the Tour DCT and don’t subscribe to all the complaints. I added XM, CB, rear rack, passenger pegs, hiway pegs, Kurakyn cup holders, battery tender and Gerbing heater gear (adapted to the battery tender port), fog lights, and a number of other options. I ride year round down in Tennessee. By far, the best bike I’ve ever owned and/or ridden. Go for it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello, all:

Thank you.

Dan
There is a company that will remap your ICU which will be just like the 2020. I do not have the name but I am sure you could google it. I believe they are in Philadelphia. Buy it drive it and see if you need it. I heard that it is only when in sport mode. BTW Cruisman said he would buy again. I am going to buy one even though I have my 05 Wing just where I want it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, all:

Thank you.

Dan
Dan don't wait go on and pick up your 2018. I have a red one now and I have no problems out of it I don't know anything about the 2020 but I know the difference in price is roughly $5,000 not worth the extra money. Also the seat is the only thing I have a complaint about only because they put a slant in the back side of the driver seat which digs into my tailbone I am sending my seat off today to have it modified at Wingsoft in Texas. The stock seat may work fine for you but it hurts my tailbone after about 80 miles!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, all:

Thank you.

Dan
Hi Dan,

I think it's all about what you want to do with your money. Obviously, we are all limited by our funds, to some degree. After all, our society will support us in spending whatever we want, based on our cash and what others are willing to loan us. The problem is, we can really get in trouble with the level of money we borrow. As we get older, this becomes ever more critical. Now if you have a lot of cash and can buy whatever you want, you can buy stuff just because you want to. There is no pain. But when you're borrowing money, it's a different matter. So, my question to you is, are there financial considerations in your decision making process? Or are you approaching this from a purely philisophical position? I bought my 2005 Honda Gold Wing with Motor Trike conversion in 2007. It had 3,550 miles on it and cost $27,500. I then added lots of extra stuff to it and custom-painted it to the point where there was no question that I would keep it forever. I didn't buy a Harley because I push my cars, trucks and bikes to the limit and I didn't think a Harley could take the abuse. I've done a number of exhaust modifications, trying to get exactly what I want. If you add up the cost of the Trike with the extra parts and mods, I've got over $55,000 in it. I like it and I don't regret my decisions. But that's me. It's all about what you want and what you can afford. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, all:

Thank you.

Dan
Got a real good friend that decided to leave a gold wing for the new bike with no clutch to pull in.
He has had it for a few yrs.
I asked him if he had it to go over again.
What would he do.
He said he would go back to a .model with a clutch lever and shift gears.

It's hard to believe you want to leave a street glide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dkleiner - I am also from the northeast and living now just outside of Raleigh. Went from a '15 Ultra Limited to a '19 Tour DCT (actually still have the Limited). Love the Gold Wing and the DCT. Only one place to buy from - Sport Cycles in Rockingham - it's worth the ride. If we have direct messaging here (IDK - I'm a new member) and you would like to chat, send me your contact info - I can probably answer your questions. Or if you want, I could meet you somewhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dan, I ride a 2018 Airbag. Native of NC and also Highly recommend Sport Cycles in Rockingham. The 2018 DCT is the most complex, sophisticated, pure pleasure, 2 wheel mode of transportation on earth. Sure, there are a few features that need tweaking by the owner. That is common to ALL bikes. Been riding for 50 years. This bike for 18 months. I am still in disbelief that the wife and I can tool around on something this NICE. Go for it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello, all:

Thank you.

Dan
I traded my 2016 Harley-Davidson Road Glide FLTRUSE CVO Road Glide Ultra for a 2018 Goldwing DCT (With all of the factory lighting options) to make it as equivalent to the CVO's features as possible.

The saddle is probably one of the first things that will have to go, on the Goldwing, it's the most griped about feature I've seen over the past couple of years. Also the passenger grab rails are good only for getting the bike up on the center stand; of no value for securing anything on the rear saddle with bungee cords or for passengers to grab on to for that matter.

Overall, the layout of the Honda is that of a “Sport – Tourer”, much like the BMW's, which is really cramping compared to the “Easy Rider” posture I could achieve when on the highway on my HOG. For an old fart (73) like me that's a far more comfortable ride. The adjustable backrest, higher rise and set-back of the handlebars, and the stretched & elevated highway pegs made it all happen for me. I've mot been able to duplicate that on the Goldwing so there are no more “Iron-bottom” runs left in my future. That laid-back posture is easier on the spinal stenosis!

The HOG's far more capacious bags and tourpak even enabled me to use it as a grocery-getter (for "independently owned and operated" [single] guy). Its upper and lower fairings did a better job of bashing bugs for me too!

I also found that Honda factory add-ons and 3rd party accessories to be as pricey as they were for the H.D..

The Goldwing's engine and transmission are slicker than Vasoline on a brass doorknob, the lower center of gravity and lighter weight make for a mire secure ride feel. I can live with the loss of the sound of two sledge hammers beating together in a bucket of water - it makes it easier to hear all the music I downloaded on that thumb drive I've got plugged in in the left saddle bag. I love that front suspension that takes out the pounding my arthritis petrified wrists used to endure.

The perfect bike for me would be a Harley/Honda hybrid - a CVO Road Glide Ultra with a Goldwing power train and suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, all:

Thank you.

Dan
Hi I am 65 and still have a harley ultra also I have 5000 mi on my 18 DCT No regrets it is the ultimate bike fast reliable and quiet love the heated grips and seat navigation is fine just got to play with it to get used to it. My advise is go for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello, all:

Thank you.

Dan
I can honestly say that I don't regret not holding out for a 2020, I took delivery of my 2019 GL1800D in early January 2020, the dealer did a end of MY discount and to me the 2020 upgrades wasn't worth the extra bucks. As matter of fact they had a new 2018 at super discount that I would have bought if it were another color.
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sold my CVO Street Glide and miss it a lot but would not trade it for my 2018 Gold Wing. I love the DCT. I don't find the seat a problem like some do. I wish it had more storage. And, I ridden some that the sport mode is unusable but mine is great. I think it's a fuel mapping issue. Bottom line is if it's too jerky see if the dealer can fix it. The sport mode really brings the bike alive. Like all my bikes I wish it had more HP. I also wish it had tires like my Street Glide had. Dunlaps dual compound. Hard in the center soft on the sides. Those lasted 23K miles. This Gold Wing won't come near that. I still love the bike!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thank you to all of you with your comments. There is no doubt that I’d be happy with the 2018. The exact bike I want is available for $21K. They will take my 2017 Street Glide Special for $15K. I owe $3,200. on the Harley. I currently pay $81/month. That’s very affordable. The payment would jump to $180/month.

With two kids in college, paying on 4 cars, insurance and all other life expenses, my wife is not going to to go for another $100/month on a recreational vehicle. My only other option is to sell a couple of guitars.

Sigh...

·
Registered
558 Posts
If I might offer a suggestion pls. Scrimp & save all summer while riding the SG and pay that sucker down as much as possible! I mean, it ain't like your riding a pc of junk anyway ;). You'll get a much better deal in the early Fall than you will here at the beginning of riding season. And it's very possible you'll still be able to find a '19 in your choice of colors, etc. MAYBE even an '18 or an ever so slightly used '18 or '19 that someone traded for the newer model or another brand.
Just a couple of ideas as I've "Been there - done that":cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, all:

Thank you.

Dan
I own a 2018 DCT Tour which I bought a year ago. Have 22000 miles on it. Love it. FYI still have my HD Limited.
2018 DCT is a performance bike. Now the price is also right. I will not hesitate to buy it.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts