GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The other thing is, it has to be white. That leaves me with a 2018, where the supply is dwindling fast or the 2020 which is overpriced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, all:

I am writing to seek your advice, and I hope you have a few minutes to respond.

I am 59 and currently ride a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special in Crushed Ice Pearl (similar in color to the Honda). I bought it while I was living in Sarasota, Florida I traded a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 for it.

Harleys are all the rage in that part of Florida, and I liked the idea of riding a big bike. It’s a great bike on the long flat stretches of highway in Florida. We are from Philadelphia and realized a few years in that Florida was not for us. We decided to move half way back to Raleigh, North Carolina. They have a term for people like us- halfbackers. The riding here is great-winding road, valleys and mountains.

I have been researching the DCT Tour since last year and want to buy one. I did a test ride, I and got the hang of operating a shiftless motorcycle fairly easily. Watching Cruiseman's videos has helped seal the deal.

Notwithstanding all of the above excess and irrelevant verbiage, my question to any of you: with all that you know about your motorcycle, would you be happy to buy it again, or would you hold out for the 2020 model? For me, the 2020 is out of my price range. I know there has been mention of an issue with slow speed “clunking” when downshifting. Is that an issue to be concerned about? In addition, I know that many don’t like the navigation system; I’m okay with that, as I would use the GPS in my iPhone via Apple Play. I don’t care about the passenger handrails, and the extra USP connector would be nice, but I could live without it.

As for lighting, I believe you can never have enough to be noticed. I have significant lighting front and back on my Harley, and I would do the same on the Honda.

I hope you have time to respond to my questions. I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Dan
Just installed pathfinder LED's for Low Beams. Much improved visibility, both brightness and distance

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am deciding on whether or not to purchase in the spring as well and money is a concern. But I've decided that the bottom line, life is short and you never know how long you will have the ability to ride, so I decided I am buying, just need to find the deal now......

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
With this bike, it was more about which color I wanted, than price! The bike color you like this year may be gone for next year . . . :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dkleiner - I am also from the northeast and living now just outside of Raleigh. Went from a '15 Ultra Limited to a '19 Tour DCT (actually still have the Limited). Love the Gold Wing and the DCT. Only one place to buy from - Sport Cycles in Rockingham - it's worth the ride. If we have direct messaging here (IDK - I'm a new member) and you would like to chat, send me your contact info - I can probably answer your questions. Or if you want, I could meet you somewhere.
They are great to deal with. Bryan talks the talk and walks the walk. You won’t be disappointed..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my 2019 DCT Tour in September. I put over 2000 miles on it before the weather got too cold to ride. I would buy it again in one second. I went from 2006 VTX 1300 to this, it's like going from a beat up old Chevy to a brand new souped up Cadillac. So smooth and sweet. I love the DCT.....think of this....how often have you stopped and not put it in first gear only to chug to proper speed or stall out? The seat, so far , is wonderful......I have an Ultimate on my X and the stocker beats it by miles. I am 220, 6'3, so comfort is definitely a consideration. I have put a few things on like highway pegs, floorboards, grips, and plan on a few more lights when it becomes warm enough to work on it. life is short....do not hesitate!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, all:

I am writing to seek your advice, and I hope you have a few minutes to respond.

I am 59 and currently ride a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special in Crushed Ice Pearl (similar in color to the Honda). I bought it while I was living in Sarasota, Florida I traded a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 for it.

Harleys are all the rage in that part of Florida, and I liked the idea of riding a big bike. It’s a great bike on the long flat stretches of highway in Florida. We are from Philadelphia and realized a few years in that Florida was not for us. We decided to move half way back to Raleigh, North Carolina. They have a term for people like us- halfbackers. The riding here is great-winding road, valleys and mountains.

I have been researching the DCT Tour since last year and want to buy one. I did a test ride, I and got the hang of operating a shiftless motorcycle fairly easily. Watching Cruiseman's videos has helped seal the deal.

Notwithstanding all of the above excess and irrelevant verbiage, my question to any of you: with all that you know about your motorcycle, would you be happy to buy it again, or would you hold out for the 2020 model? For me, the 2020 is out of my price range. I know there has been mention of an issue with slow speed “clunking” when downshifting. Is that an issue to be concerned about? In addition, I know that many don’t like the navigation system; I’m okay with that, as I would use the GPS in my iPhone via Apple Play. I don’t care about the passenger handrails, and the extra USP connector would be nice, but I could live without it.

As for lighting, I believe you can never have enough to be noticed. I have significant lighting front and back on my Harley, and I would do the same on the Honda.

I hope you have time to respond to my questions. I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Dan
73 here and have had more than that many bikes and would definitely buy an '18 again. Still have a '14 CTX700DCT with 31k with no problems. Just great bikes.
The older I get the more I enjoy them and this Wing takes the prize. Got it from Sport Cycles in Rockingham NC and can't say enough good about them. Bryan, our sales Guy was great. Gave us the best price and that was it. No shipping, setup or documentation fees. In SC here to took care of the Reg and taxes here. They supplied a temp plate at no charge. Go for it. Life is too short.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts