GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering a pair of Aerostich Combat Touring Boots. Sidi manufactures the Aerostich boots, which appear to be of excellent quality and look like they would offer significant protection and comfort. I don’t personally know anyone who owns a pair of these boots. I really don’t mind spending top dollars for footwear, as I have found that it typically pays off in the long run. After all, $237 is not bad if I can get 5 or more years of use from them.

I currently wear Cruiserworks boots and am actually quite pleased with them; they have proven to be totally waterproof as claimed by the manufacturer. The Cruiserworks boots are comfortable and are great footwear for when you need to wear something that doesn’t look like a motorcycle boot. Like for work or going out to eat.

I want a motorcycle boot that can be worn when I’m playing around in the general (day rides) area and also when I travel significant distances. Also wondering how wide the boots are, looks like they are not offered in a wide size.

Seeking comments and opinions.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey Craig, if the Cruiserworks work for you, why spend your money on anything else? I've got the Cruiserworks, too and wouldn't part with them for love or money. They are more comfortable to me than any other shoe I've got and I can ride with them all day and then wander around in the evening without my feet hurting. Just wondering why you would want to trade such comfort?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a pair of SIDI On Road boots and they are only worth the money if you want boots that are totally dry and comfortable to wear all day. I ride with a guy on a FJR1300 who has Combat Boots and he really likes them. He is a full figured person, 6'2" 280 lbs, and has no trouble wearing them all day. The Combat boots seem to have better protection than the On Roads but both are made by Sidi and are top notch. I don't know if the Combat's are made with Sympatex.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why Combat Touring Boots?

MesquiteBob,

I have no problem with the Cruiserworks – they are great boots and do all claimed by the manufacturer. They are nice looking boots and would most likely offer fair to good crash protection if ever required. I just want to take the next step-up, if you will, for my serious riding boots. Have no plans of not wearing or getting rid of my Cruiserworks boots.

Most of the good motorcycle riding pants fit tight around the ankles; not very good for the “pull-on type” boots like the Cruiserworks I currently wear. If I’m going out to eat, work or just socialize, what I have does a fine job and look good as well. If I’m going out to do some serious riding or to scrape the pegs in the mountains, I want more protection than the Cruiserworks provide.

Plus, if I have more than one pair of riding boots – they will both last longer!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Combat Touring Boots

I have a set that has been tried on but never worn. My problem with the boots is that my calf is too big. I won't allow me to close the boots up.
they are size 12. Still in the box. If you would be interested let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
MC Boots

Craig and Redbear,

I tried on several pairs of SIDI boots - I was thinking that I would like the 'On Roads' but those seemed more like motocross boots. So I tried the 'City' model, but they seemed uncomfortable on my calfs as I walked around the store. They fastened ok, I'm just not accustomed to that high of a boot I guess. I ended buying a pair of the much lower 'Champion' model which I have been very happy as far as being comfortable and waterproof. My feet do get a little cold (not too bad) when it's below 40 degrees. This model also appears to be resolable.

http://www.motonation.com/subcategory.asp?cid=2

I noticed that the Panter Sympatex boots are on sale. May have to check those out - might look a little nicer when I'm walking around at work - especially since I've broken the champions in pretty well on the Transalp.

Courtney in Seattle
02 GL1800A
89 Transalp

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've had my Aerostich Combat Touring boots for five or six years now. They are in fine shape and I expect them to last for at least five or six more years. As with helmets, different brands fit different people. My feet are partial to Italian made boots. The hiking boots I wear were also made in Italy, they just fit me better. I spray the CT boots yearly with a water repellant and they keep my feet dry even in heavy rain. They are comfortable enough for me to walk a few miles in. When we travel, I wear the CT boots and carry a pair of sandals. As with anything else, YMMV, Aerostich is very accomodating about taking returns, so if you get them and don't like them, you can send them back.

·
Registered
307 Posts
combat touring boots

I lookrd at these and finally decided to go with the Sidi On Road boots. I hope to have them today. I wanted something that was waterproof as well as protective. The Combat Touring Boots don't say that are waterproof, so that made me choose the On Road boots. Check out this web site for some boot tests.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/access ... r/WPBoots/
That was a great help to me. Whatever you decide, Sidi makes a great boot.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Last summer I was looking for replacement boots for both my wife and I. We looked at Sidi & BMW boots because they had local stores, and my wife thought the BMW boots was like wearing slippers, so comfortable to wear :D . Plus they are waterproof and have really good protection & retention. For me, I couldn't wear either because of having wide feet. They didn't come wide enough for my size. Redwing and a few other hunting style boots offer waterproof boots, but I didn't like the hunting style. Then I found a Cruiserworks booth set up at a local motorcycle event where I could try them on. They fit great and in my size. I didn't like the cruiser style, wanted better retention, so I purchased the Commando model, just as comfortable & waterproof. During our motorcycle trip last summer to Canada there was a few times when we wondered through mountain streams taking photographs, no problem, feet started getting a little cold from the icy stream, but no leaks and we had good secure footing on the stream bed. I have been in some good rain while riding too, and my feet remained nice and dry.

One comment concerning the slip on style boots. I am a retired LEO and over the years investigated many collisions involving motorcycles. If the rider slides down the street, too many times they loose their slip on boots, or gloves without retention straps. Socks and skin don't last long :cry: .

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Craig, thanks for the reply and now I understand. Hope you find just the right boot for you and glad to hear you will continue wearing the Cruiserworks. No affiliation with the company, just appreciate their good service and great product.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Received My Aerostich CBT’s

First off - thanks Redbear for the boots and the good deal - it was a pleasure dealing with you!!

I received my used / new CBT’s and I might say they are brand new – couldn’t tell they have ever been worn before. All I can really say is WOW!! Very serious boots, with no doubt. I can see what many have said about being difficult to “break in” as these boots are very stiff to say the least. My plan it to work them good by hand and wear them around the house and yard until they are more flexible. I wouldn’t be able to shift well with them right now and will need to get used to the feel for both shifting and breaking.

The fit is good and I think I got a great deal at $150 delivered. As far as protection is concerned, there’s no comparison between the Aerostich Combat Tour Boots and the Crusierworks. Now, when it comes to fashion the Crusierworks easily win. Keep in mind now – broken bones and casts don’t look all to fashionable to me either!!

My only real question is why the long laces? Seems like I could cut 10”+ off them and still have plenty of lace to deal with. Any tip’s concerning breaking these boots in or waterproofing them would be appreciated.

I’ll report again after I have a chance to break these things in and actually put some real world miles on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts