GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a one peice suit off eBay Hi vis yellow color. Has some stains. Any ideas to get it clean? Dry cleaners? I will probly contact Aerostich for their expert opinions. Thanks. D

·
Registered
417 Posts
jmop, I take the pads out and normal cycle in the washer, I air dry put the pads back in and waterproof. kwthom mentioned Nikwax which is a great product, (I believe goes in when washing) as for stains ??, Or run it up to Aerostich, they will clean and waterproof it for you, mine is there now getting some repairs done & a wash & waterproofing. Good Luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had mine for a year now. I have washed to several times. Empty the pockets, take the armor pads out, then wash and dry like a pair of jeans. When dry, reinstall the pads. There should be a tag sewn on the jacket with laundry instructions.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Seems like once they get the dirty look it’s about impossible to get the new clean look back, many just sell it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Seems like once they get the dirty look it’s about impossible to get the new clean look back, many just sell it.
Nah.....if you’re rolling a stich, ya want a little grime on it. You know....”street cred” and all.....>:)

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
They don't clean very easy. I've got two suits and tried just about every method, and none have done much good. Yesterday I bought some oil and one of the caps was not sealed and I got various 3" diameter fresh oil stains on my Roadcrafter.Brushed some oxiclean into the stains, did nothing. Brushed some Nikwax techwash into the stains, washed the suit, then washed again with Nikwax waterproofer, then tumbled dry. The end result after this is the stains look 100% identical to what they were before.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
They don't clean very easy. I've got two suits and tried just about every method, and none have done much good. Yesterday I bought some oil and one of the caps was not sealed and I got various 3" diameter fresh oil stains on my Roadcrafter.Brushed some oxiclean into the stains, did nothing. Brushed some Nikwax techwash into the stains, washed the suit, then washed again with Nikwax waterproofer, then tumbled dry. The end result after this is the stains look 100% identical to what they were before.
The trick is to brush the entire suit with that oil for a consistent coloration.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My experience exactly. With about 30,000 miles on a hi-viz Darien coat, it was heavily stained with road grime. I washed it 4-5 times in warm water with everything imaginable, even tried to, "Shout" it out. Afterward, it was still about 90 percent as grimy as before washing. Also, water resistance greatly diminished after washing, and even the waterproof tape came loose around the neck. Later, when dry and laid out, I sprayed it down till soaked with Nik-Wax, but that stuff created stains of its own. I have ridden in the rain several times since, and water resistance is no where near as good as it was prior to washing.

In light of the above, I consider this coat a throw away item, mainly due to its color. I will never own another hi-viz colored anything. I love the idea, but it just ain't worth the hassle. When it becomes too filthy, will toss it. Next time, will either go with gray or tan, or just go back to a good quality leather jacket.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Purchased my first and only "Stich" in 2002 it gets a bath once a year, not concerned about stains. I recently sent it to Aerostich for some zipper replacements, a wash & waterproofing, They were expensive then & more so now however the suit is every bit as good today as it was 17 years ago, & if I don't gain much weight I can see it taking me up to the whistle. jmop

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I agree with Joe on the washing 100% as well. I first sent my roadcrafter to Aerostich for the cleaning, as I didn't want to mess up the suit. When I got it back, it was never anywhere near being water resistant as it was. This is not to say the suit doesn't work, I still like it, but after washing, even using every Nikwax product on the face of the earth, the suit still is not what it was, collects water like a sponge. Like I said, I have two suits, the other one never been washed and it works and repels water good as when it was made.
The good thing about washing is the suit gets less stiff every time. The one I have that's washed and a sponge is comfortable and still the one I use mostly.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Purchased my first and only "Stich" in 2002 it gets a bath once a year, not concerned about stains. I recently sent it to Aerostich for some zipper replacements, a wash & waterproofing, They were expensive then & more so now however the suit is every bit as good today as it was 17 years ago, & if I don't gain much weight I can see it taking me up to the whistle. jmop

Daaaaang. That thing is grungier than my hi-viz ever was. Did not think the gray or tan color would show dirt so bad. Thanks for the heads up. LOL

Reactions: cycledude and DocD

·
Registered
417 Posts
Daaaaang. That thing is grungier than my hi-viz ever was. Did not think the gray or tan color would show dirt so bad. Thanks for the heads up. LOL
That's not "Grung" joe, thats "Patina" (jk) although I haven't seen that many, I don't think I have ever seen one that didn't show the dirt, (unless it was new) I think it is the material, Mine gets a wash every year, & I use a spray waterproofing, I don't recall the name, the same stuff I use on my tent. I just sent it in for a couple of new zippers & a cleaning, maybe the pros know how to do it! when I get it back I will post a photo, A friend has a tan one & I think you are correct, it hides the stains pretty good, if I were to purchase it would be the tan. jmop
The back looks pretty decent, but then,,,

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Like some others posted, I wash my h-viz Roadcrafter once a year. For me it's too hot to wear from May/June until October unless I'm riding a long distance like a SaddleSore of sorts then I'll wear anytime.

I use nearly an entire spray bottle of Oxi-Clean on it and let it set for 30 minutes after brushing the especially dirty areas then wash it with NikWax or other breathable membrane technical wash product according to Aerostich directions. I treat the outer shell with a waterproofing spray used for marine boat canvas. It repels water for a while but in long heavy rain it eventually gets saturated but the shell isn't what keeps the water out - it's the Gore Tex liner and it does need to be kept clean for long life.

Mine never comes back to like new appearance but I know it's as clean as can be and will last for many years, just like the first one.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I need to find something else for water resistance. The bottle spray Nik-Wax does next to nothing, even after two coats that nearly drenched the suit. Per the instructions, I laid the suit out dry, then sprayed it down. I am thinking Scotchguard, or something for marine use, as dueling mentioned.

As is, the suit can barely be called water resistant. I carry my wallet in a breast pocket and, when it looks like rain, put it into a zip lock baggie. Otherwise, it will become soaked through and through in less than an hour, if the rain is heavy. Before washing, the wallet was good for a couple of hours, even then it would be wet but not soaked.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I need to find something else for water resistance. The bottle spray Nik-Wax does next to nothing, even after two coats that nearly drenched the suit. Per the instructions, I laid the suit out dry, then sprayed it down. I am thinking Scotchguard, or something for marine use, as dueling mentioned.
You need to be very careful on the products used on some of this technical material can tolerate.

Again, the TX.Direct NikWax called for the garment to be clean and wet (like, right after it's been washed), then you 'wash' the TX.Direct product into the garment.

Material with Gore-Tex requires a specific amount of heating (like, in a dryer) in order to reactivate the product.

"Once it’s dry, tumble dry the garment for 20 minutes to reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on the outer fabric. "

·
Registered
867 Posts
My experience exactly. With about 30,000 miles on a hi-viz Darien coat, it was heavily stained with road grime. I washed it 4-5 times in warm water with everything imaginable, even tried to, "Shout" it out. Afterward, it was still about 90 percent as grimy as before washing. Also, water resistance greatly diminished after washing, and even the waterproof tape came loose around the neck. Later, when dry and laid out, I sprayed it down till soaked with Nik-Wax, but that stuff created stains of its own. I have ridden in the rain several times since, and water resistance is no where near as good as it was prior to washing.

In light of the above, I consider this coat a throw away item, mainly due to its color. I will never own another hi-viz colored anything. I love the idea, but it just ain't worth the hassle. When it becomes too filthy, will toss it. Next time, will either go with gray or tan, or just go back to a good quality leather jacket.
Wow. Everything you said !!! Couldn't agree more. Have had mine ( grey and black ) for about 25 years ( ? ) or so. Have never washed it. Stains ?? Unless you've spilled something directly onto the suit, who cares ?? Love the idea of Hi-Viz, but, one HAS TO know it's going to look bad/dirty after just a few years, right ??

·
Registered
77 Posts
The main reason I dont own a high viz Darien is because it looks so grimy in a very short time. I opted for the black Darien, even though it’s a bit hotter. I wear a yellow high viz vest over my Darien most of the time.

Also, I believe machine washing is pretty hard on your gear. I have hand washed mine in the bath tub with good results. Of course because it’s black, it will at least LOOK cleaner than lighter colored riding gear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts