GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the advice of many here in the forum I ordered a new Aerostitch one piece riding suit recently. Fedex tracking info shows it has been received at the sorting facility in Lubbock and I will receive it tomorrow, Monday. I have never owned or ridden with a riding suit so it will be an all new learning experience.

A riding partner and I plan to leave next Saturday morning (Oct 1) on a two week road trip to the Pacific Northwest. The Weather Channel predicts a cooling trend beginning later this week so I anticipate some cold mornings in MT, ID, and WA. Temps will probably be down in the upper 20*s over some high mountain passes if we cross them early in the day.

My question: What should I wear under the Aerostitch? I am planning to wear layers beginning with moisture wicking long sleeve undershirt and underpants.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
:congrats: On the Stitch. Sounds like you have the track on the hot weather. So for the cold. You would be hard pressed to beat heated clothing. It can be used a little or a lot and cuts the packing and bulk down quit a bit.
If you prefer all natu-ral,,,,,,,Polyproeline (sp) expedition weight is a good choice. It wicks, not too bulky, comfortable to wear. If you are even more of a naturalist,,,,,,,Wool. It wicks, works very well, warm when wet, light weight. It is more bulky than the poly but depending in use, I would just as soon have the wool, it breathes better.

Trouble with both is you have them on and have to go through major clothing removal to get them off. They are also not cheap. If I remember correctly, you may be able to get into electrics for close to the same price as one or two sets of the others. YMMV

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I wear street clothes under the 'Stich down to about 55*f and then, I add Gerbing liners (w/boot insoles and gloves as it gets colder). I've ridden in temps down to 15*f in NW Arkansas reasonably comfortable without "bulking" up. Also, added back & hip pads to the Roadcrafter which help in the cold, as well as, during a get-off.

I use my Roadcrafter year round and treat it about every six months with Nikwax Direct Spray-On to keep it water-proof. It's nice not having to stop and suit up every time it looks like rain. Another nice addition to the Roadcrafter to me is the Aerostich Triple Digit Over gloves. Not the sexiest item but they work good and pack in a small space.

To me, the Wing lacks good foot protection from the rain/cold even on the comfort models. This winter, I'm going to try the Tulsa Hot Foot wind deflectors. http://www.allamericanprod.com/1800.html

I love my Roadcrafter and feel naked without it. I tow a trailer on all my trips and therefore, I just throw it in the trailer when going in for a sit-down meal. They may fit in an empty trunk but doubt you can get it in a saddlebag. I have heard of people locking them to their bikes when leaving them in a parking lot for a meal.

When riding with my friends, I'm dressed and ready for the road while they are still digging stuff out. Also, I can be out of my gear and heading in the resturant while they are stripping layers.

Good product for me.

Z

·
Registered
883 Posts
You're going to like the 'Stitch. It'll be a little stiff to begin with but, by the time you return home it will be much better.

I agree, go with electrics. It really cuts down on the amount of clothing you need to carry. A long sleeve LDComfort shirt, the electric liner & the 'Stitch is all you'll need. If it's in the 20 degree area throw a sweatshirt over the electrics.

I've got an old Gen Gerbing & a Gen 4 Warm n Safe. The Gerbings I like a lot more.

Have fun on your trip....Be Safe

Sleddog

·
Registered
510 Posts
This area is getting a little rain starting today for a couple of days and then nicer weather again for the remainder of the week. But even those forecasts can change very quickly. My method of seeing what is coming is the satellite views and then only slightly trust the temperature forecasts. Down to 20 in the passes this time of year is not to likely but my advice would be stay off the mountains when it's that cold. As unpredictable as it can be around here it can be dry one minute then snow or ice the next up higher. Have a safe trip. It's beautiful country your going into in the PNW and the scenery can be very distracting at times. BTW, I agree with heated clothing. Only way to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Been looking at this suit...Let me know how it is when is HOT out..Here in South Florida, I worry about the heat.

Have fun, be safe.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
My question: What should I wear under the Aerostitch?
Every person has a different tolerance for cold or heat. My experience with the Aerostitch is that it doesn't block much wind. I find that if I wear a light, windblock jacket under the suit it will keep me much warmer.

Gerbings also suggests wearing their jacket under a windblock, so on really cold days (typical Maine winters) I wear longjohns, the Gerbings, a LLBean windblock light jacket and then the Aerostitch. Sounds a lot more bulky that it actually is....One of the best light weight windblock jackets I found was the Frogg Troggs.

Again, this is all personal stuff, some guys probably feel as though the Aerostitch blocks enough wind to forget about a windblock jacket. BTW, when you get the suit, you can toss it in the dryer for awhile on very low heat to break it in a little before your trip. Nothing screams <Noob> more than a perfectly clean 'Stitch that is stiff as a board. :joke:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Love my Aerostich! I bought it as a "second" for $500.00 in 1993 and use it all the time. The only thing I have ever had to do to it ( besides throw it in the washing machine and spray it occasionally with water proofer ) is have the main zipper replaced. That's 18 years folks. It also increases the miles you can ride in the Fall and Winter. Matter of fact, since I have had the suit I have not missed one month of riding and that's here in the far North snowbelt. I don't like the electric vests, I have several and electric glove also, and just don't like the way they make me feel clammy. I go with a one piece body stocking long johns and have ridden 500 miles in one day, leaving and returning when the temp was 28*. Just make sure you close the velcro flaps tightly in the rain or you may get the dreaded wet crotch. By the way, I can easily fit mine and my wife's suits into a saddlebag. And yes, the triple digit glove covers are a very good thing to have too.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone have a sizing chart for Aerostitch?...
Another member has already advised you about their website size feature. Aerostitch claims that for example, if the shopper wears a size 40 mens suit a size 40 Aerostitch will fit comfortably over his street clothes.

Aerostitch will pleasantly discuss your sizes and give advice over the phone if you call.

I found Aerostitch employees to be very pleasant and helpful over the phone or as a walk-in. I stopped in and looked over their merchandise and talked with them on a saturday morning back in July on a ride around Lake Superior.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the excellent advice and information. I appreciate it.

I have not experienced electric heated Gerbing or other products but prefer to use layering if possible. I'll try the electric gear later if I find them necessary.

I'm going to try layering under the Aerostitch on the upcoming trip and see how it works out.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been looking at this suit...Let me know how it is when is HOT out..Here in South Florida, I worry about the heat.

Have fun, be safe.
My guess is an Aerostitch suit would not be very comfortable in the heat and humidity or FL or the Gulf Coast of TX. I probably won't use mine for summer riding in TX.

Aerostitch makes several other suits such as Aerostitch Light for warmer climates.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Au Contrair. If you go by the owners manual and wet the suit down on the inside and then fill all the pockets with ice and zip it all up, you will look funny on a hot day but you will be very comfy. And I can take funny looks better than I can take stifling heat.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Enjoy it is a good product for sure. I do not own one as I went with Rukka but am riding up there tomorrow to look at and probably get a pair of darien pants!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Taking the advice of many here in the forum I ordered a new Aerostitch one piece riding suit recently.

. The Weather Channel predicts a cooling trend beginning later this week so I anticipate some cold mornings in MT, ID, and WA. Temps will probably be down in the upper 20*s over some high mountain passes if we cross them early in the day.

My question: What should I wear under the Aerostitch? I am planning to wear layers beginning with moisture wicking long sleeve undershirt and underpants.

I think you have a good handle on it, I have used the "Stich" for years and love it, but it is not a "snowmobile suit" so the layering is a good idea, I would also HIGHLY recommend a good Balaclave helmet liner. I have never been one for the electronics (although I am sure they work well) . I wear my Roadcrafter year round, and yes they do get warm in the summer, but once on the move they vent well, The Roadcrafter is a great piece of eq. and to me the pro's outweigh the con's, I haven't done anything to mine I should maybe have it cleaned!!! (but it does have character) I have ridden many miles in the rain and the Roadcrafter has always kept me (reasonably) dry. Have a Great Trip msn

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The newest roadcrafter has the waterproof zippers so should be water tight in the rain completely hopefully. Retrofit new zippers to old roadcrafter for $95 at aerostich for anyone that has the old it's worth it. I have the roadcrafter and have ridden from 10 degrees or so up to 110. You can't beat the gerbing heated gear in cold, then when it's less cold aerostich sells nice fleece jackets that layer nice under the roadcrafter. As to hot weather, I've been around Kansas City, oklahoma city, little rock and had temps of 100 degrees and had no problem. I'm not sure if these citys are considered dry or humid as I can't personnally tell any difference. I enjoy the heat and riding. Also just to compare I have Aerostich darien light jacket I wear sometimes just because I feel a little goofy wearing a full suit sometimes and it is no cooler in summer trust me.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
For me, the Roadcrafter is an industry standard. Same can be said for Gerbings. Once you ever go electric, there's no going back. They will allow you to ride comfortably through the winter and you'll almost feel guilty when riding with others in the winters when they don't have electrics. They are that good.

Z

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I'll second that electrics are great, but it appears you don't have time to look at that, trip is coming up quick.

I'm not familiar with your suit, but I do have some riding suit experience, and I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.... So, I would suggest for legs:

1st layer: LD comfort long pants or something similar (long bicycle pants)
2nd layer: classic white thermal undewear
3rd layer: sweat pants, cotton
4th layer: riding suit

...or any combo of above depending on temp.

on top:

1st: cotton short sleeve T-shirt
2nd: cotton long sleeve T-shirt
3rd: cotton sweat shirt
4th: riding suit

...or any combo of above too

and the thickest glvoes you can find.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts