GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to tell you all how well my Aerostitch Darien worked last Friday when the temperature was 15 degrees when I left the house.
The Darien does not have an electric liner and it worked very well.

Now my Joe Rocket Blizzard gloves sucked! My hands were like popsciles. They also didn't seem to work much better when the temperature came up to 54 degrees, my hands were still cold, just not as bad.

I guess if I spent as much on my gloves as I did on my Aerostitch they would have worked well also. Live and learn! :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad to hear your Aerostitch worked. I've had a First Gear pants and jacket for several years and it's starting to show some wear. I've been thinking about getting an Aerostitch, but was wondering if it would work well in the cold weather. I ride all year and like you this morning when I left my house it pretty cold at 17F. After four years of riding in the winter I think this year I'm going to break down and purchase some heated gloves. It seems to be the only way to really have warm hands.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a Darien. I don't find myself using my Widder electric vest with it until the temperature drops below 40. I also have the Widder gloves but haven't used them since getting heated grips. The Darien is also good in hot weather. Open the vents and put ice in the large front pockets, cool... :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
Aerostich

I've been wearin ah two peice Roadcrafter for several years. I think it's ah real good ridin suit especially in cold weather. I also have th liner that Aerostich sells for th Roadcrafter, & wear it under th suit when it gits around 30 or so on long rides. Even though th suit is ah two peice i always wear it zipped tagether, & am thinkin about gittin ah one peice. Gloves are another story, i've had several pair & have th Honda heated grips, with th Tulsa under th mirror wind deflectors. My hands are OK down to about 35 or so, on long rides at 35 i can slip on some triple digit rain covers over my gloves & git ah little warmer but not really comfortable. I think heated gloves are th real solution for long rides at 30 or below but just don't like th wires. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use the Honda heated grips and Polar Hands (Hippo Hands) with these on and the heated grips on all I need to wear is my summer vented gloves. At temps down to about 20 degrees my hands stay warm. The Polar Hands will have to be altered to fit over the Wings hand controls but well worth the effort.
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've thought about the heated grips, but most reports that I've seen talk about them only working to a point. Once the temperature drops down below 30F they stop being effective. The problem for me is that I like to ride year 'round and we've just entered our deep freeze cycle (to us it's a deep freeze as I'm sure there are worse places). Yesterday morning it was 17F when I went to work. By January there will be days in the single digits. At that point it's to cool to ride: read danagerous because it's difficult to move my hands and fingers. So on those days I have to leave the bike at home which I don't wish to due. It's to much fun riding. Looks like I'll just need to break down and buy some.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would like to have heated grips for those unexpected cool summer nights, but for cold weather my Gerbing gloves are the cats patoot.
I avoided them before because I didn't want to dink with the wires, but that was a mistake. The wires are unobtrusive and it only takes a couple of seconds longer to get ready to ride.
With the Gerbings my hands are warm no matter what the temp is out.
I hooked them up first with out the controller on advice from the Gerbing dealer in Omaha. Within 10 miles I knew that was a mistake, my hands were cooking. With the controller they are perfect.
I just use my two piece snowmobile suit with the Gerbings, a full set of Baker Wings and I'm good way into the teens.

:rat: Bake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.