GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have after market exhaust on your Gl 1800? What make, do you like it and any dyno info? Thanks

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i feel the goldwing exhaust is great

nice and quiet, and still allows all that power

loren

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
I have the Alley Kats on mine. I've had them for at least 20,000 miles. I really like them. They are not distracting, but yet they do have some sound to them. No dyno test! Don't really care. The pipes are stainless steel, not chromed.

You can get the Wing too loud in a hurry because you are sitting behind a full fairing and the pipes will echo. If you wear a FF helmet or use a tall shield you might want to pass on custom exhaust!

C

·
0 Posts
I have the Torq Master and they can be loud. I think they provide better torq in the low to mid range RPM band,but decrease torq above 5200rpm. Nice rumble sound on decel. Easy to install. I like to be able to hear a motorcycle run. The wing is to silent. JUST MY OP. RIDE HARD RIDE Long

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm dyin' to hear some of these exhausts before making up my mind, but I agree a little more sound would be a good thing. Someone on one of the boards was talking about exhaust cut-outs recently. I remember those from my early car days when we screwed caps on exhaust pipes ahead of mufflers, and screwed them off when we wanted to be "COOL". Who remembers the "laker pipes" running along the rocker panels? :biker:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Personnaly I don't mind looking at the tach to see if the bike is running. :D
Back when I had excellent hearing..... does anyone remember "Snuff-R-Nots"? He He

·
Registered
94 Posts
Every time I messed with exhaust pipes on a motorcycle I lived to regret it. The bike is engineered to run with the stock pipes and messing with the flow could change the program. I would not ever consider changing pipes unless extensive test had been run by the manufactuerer to make sure power, mixture and torque are not compromised. Better save the old pipes if you change because you might want to go back to stock or sell the bike at a later date.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
pipes

I added the torque monster mufflers to mine, i sold them within 3 days.
They hurt my left ear. I thought i already have a slight hearing loss after riding m/c's for 30 years, i'll probably lose a lot of my hearing with these pipes, i only lost 75.00 for 3 days use. I might add that the gent i sold em to is happy with the sound.
JD 8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pipes

I put torque masters with removable baffles on mine like the sound for casual rides short distance baffels in but after a while you start to feel a slight vibration in the pegs and the 70 to 75mph range produces kind of a humm. Going to put my stocks back on for my tripp. They sound like a porch when you crank it up

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
pipes, side pipes

William Taylor & Pappy,
You guys should hear my 51 merc. run with lake pipes hooked up, running a mild cam with caps open, i leave them open most of the time, I like to hear the cam bump and grind at the stop lights, have Never been pulled over for loud pipes. I do like a sporty tone. But when you add louder pipes to a wing with the tall windshield and saddlebags and all,like Red says, you have a horse of a different color. Plus if you pull a trailer, the sound vibrates back off the trailer into the cockpit. JD :biker:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts