GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In now is 2005 with 87k on the ODM. It is in for transmission repair.

If possible, I always like to pressure test the cooling system, do a compression test, and check the oil pressure prior to tear down.

At idle while the engine is warming, I had a steady 8psi. With oil at that temp., I'd expect to see pressure well above 25-psi. When the oil got hot (fans came on), 8-14psi. Although Honda does not provide a hot oil, idle spec, I'm looking for a fluctuating needle with the needle bouncing between 10-14psi. However, the only spec Honda provides is hot oil at 5,000rpms and 76psi. I didn't dare take this engine there because at 3,000 rpms I had 20psi which is extremely low. At that rpm I'd expect to see something like 60psi.

I should also say that I had another 5th gens in last week that also had an aftermarket oil filter that failed an oil pressure test too.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well Greg, that info isn't much use unless you tell us the filter make and the miles it's been on the bike!

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You didn't say if you replaced that aftermarket filter with a new Honda filter. If you did, was the low oil pressure issue corrected. Just curious.
I know ... but unless I wanted to dumpster dive, I didn't have an old oil filter around. Also, every time I've done that in the past, the oil pressure returns to normal. So in short, I get tired of proving the same old thing over and over again to myself.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I know ... but unless I wanted to dumpster dive, I didn't have an old oil filter around. Also, every time I've done that in the past, the oil pressure returns to normal. So in short, I get tired of proving the same old thing over and over again to myself.
You noted an engine presenting low oil pressure, nothing more.

You didn’t say what brand of tires were on the bike but from a test methodology POV it’s just as likely the brand of tire caused the low oil pressure.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Alright, I get it...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
There are ways to save money, but cheapening out on things like oil filters and protective gear makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If the point is to support the use of OEM oil filters, the other brand is irrelevant - OEM known good, anything else risky.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
401 Posts
Greg, I know you are big on OEM equipment and that is fine. But in this case the oil pressure reading from an obviously old aftermarket filter is useless. What was the flow when new compared to OEM? What is the flow on an OEM when it has been on a bike for the same mileage as the one in the picture?
For all we know this filter might have been put on after using OEM exclusively and it stopped a lot more debris and clogged up in a few thousand miles.
Or it simply could have been on the bike for 20,000 miles and 4 oil changes.

I know you are just trying to inform the masses but when you put stuff like this out there with very little data to back it up, it reduces your effect.

Keep fighting the good fight. I'll continue to use OEM myself.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You noted an engine presenting low oil pressure, nothing more.

You didn’t say what brand of tires were on the bike but from a test methodology POV it’s just as likely the brand of tire caused the low oil pressure.
Greg, I know you are big on OEM equipment and that is fine. But in this case the oil pressure reading from an obviously old aftermarket filter is useless. What was the flow when new compared to OEM? What is the flow on an OEM when it has been on a bike for the same mileage as the one in the picture?
For all we know this filter might have been put on after using OEM exclusively and it stopped a lot more debris and clogged up in a few thousand miles.
Or it simply could have been on the bike for 20,000 miles and 4 oil changes.

I know you are just trying to inform the masses but when you put stuff like this out there with very little data to back it up, it reduces your effect.

Keep fighting the good fight. I'll continue to use OEM myself.
You might consider this. Other then engines that I don't feel comfortable running at 5,000 rpms, I do oil pressures test on all that come in for a transmission repair. So that means that I've probably done 60 more oil pressure tests than anyone else on the forum. Of those test, those engines have a variant of oil filter brands. So here is the point ... when one fails oil pressure test, it has always had an aftermarket oil filter ... never ever, thus far, has one failed an oil pressure test that had an OEM oil filter. Coincidence ... I'm sure some will argue it is !!!

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't get it …

An effort to take a photo of a "bad" oil filter, and the effort to post the photo but no mention of the brand or the replacement results? It just seems like an abstruse agenda.
I'll post a picture, but I have to remove and clean it off first.

As for further proof, I'm not sending it to 5 oil filter labs, I'm not gonna try and get 50 scientist to test it, and write up a report on it. I'm not sending it to NASA for further analysis, and I'm not shipping it to Mars to see how it performs on a Wing on that plant.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Greg, you opened this can of worms, so verify your results, that's all people want. If you've done this sixty times be prepared to back up your beliefs.

Reactions: Tony in AZ

·
Registered
470 Posts
Greg, you opened this can of worms, so verify your results, that's all people want. If you've done this sixty times be prepared to back up your beliefs.
I do not personally know Greg, but have seen and read enough of his posts and advice to know that I sleep better at night (and ride more carefree), when I take his advice.l I am not one to give my faith easily, but in Greg's case, I believe it is well earned. YMMV. IMHO. FWIW.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hopefully your search engine works, I would encourage you to use it. This is defiantly not the first time I've posted about this. Hopefully on the JustWings forum alone, you will find examples of what you are looking for.

Also, please read my posts as front page news. To me that means you may, or may not, agree with what I post ... it also means that, for the most part, I could care less ... I'm not here for popularity.

However, most of what I post is based on knowledge learned from hundreds of GoldWings. If I express an opinion, in most cases it is based on thousands of observations which is completely different the basing it on just a few. If you choose to disagree, I am fine with that. The main reason I pay to post here has nothing to do with promoting my business, and has everything to do with my passion of sharing what I know and discover.

I should also say that almost everything I post has some sort of dollar value to it, and I'm trying to warn others that their choices can cost them money. For example, in this post alone, the lack of oil pressure may cost this customer an added expense to an already expensive repair. During my two test rides trying to duplicate this customers transmission problem, I wrote "hear tapping or light lifter noise during first 2-3 mins on right side." On the 2nd test ride "valve ticking on r-side until eng warmed." Also, on the 2nd test ride I wrote "late clutch engagement." His engine noise immediately caught my attention. I will admit that at the time I was thinking he's also gonna need a valve adjustment. As for the clutch I was thinking he's running a synthetic oil. Now all those suspicions change. As for the clutch, low oil pressure can cause premature clutch wear.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a 2003 Honda Accord, 2017 CRV, !978 GL1000, 1995 VT1100C2, 2018 GL1800. All were bought new and all have always used OEM parts because I am too lazy to find alternatives. I do my own maintenance so experts that are willing to share their expertise are a great help to me.

Unfortunately, my posts seeking additional information can be construed as doubting or questioning the original poster. When I reread mine, I realize my posts may seem to be inferring something they are not so often I am required to clarify.

My question can be reframed: in the original post there is a photo of an object that looks like an oil filter. I am wondering if there are specific brands that are failing your tests or all aftermarket filters? I am guessing that using a Honda filter corrected the low oil pressure?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
So it's OK for dark-siders to post their opinions and observations as gospel, and of higher value than the Vice President of Global Engineering for the Bridgestone Corporation without any scientific backing evidence whatsoever, but somehow Greg has to back up his opinion with peer-reviewed studies?

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So it's OK for dark-siders to post their opinions and observations as gospel, and of higher value than the Vice President of Global Engineering for the Bridgestone Corporation without any scientific backing evidence whatsoever, but somehow Greg has to back up his opinion with peer-reviewed studies?
No matter how hard they push and pry, or what they say, I'm still not gonna send the oil filter in for a molecular study, or in for forensic monitoring, and could care less how it would perform in an atmosphere with less gravity. What I can say is that thus far, I've never had an OEM oil filter fail an oil pressure test.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hopefully your search engine works, I would encourage you to use it. This is defiantly not the first time I've posted about this. Hopefully on the JustWings forum alone, you will find examples of what you are looking for.

Also, please read my posts as front page news. To me that means you may, or may not, agree with what I post ... it also means that, for the most part, I could care less ... I'm not here for popularity.

However, most of what I post is based on knowledge learned from hundreds of GoldWings. If I express an opinion, in most cases it is based on thousands of observations which is completely different the basing it on just a few. If you choose to disagree, I am fine with that. The main reason I pay to post here has nothing to do with promoting my business, and has everything to do with my passion of sharing what I know and discover.

I should also say that almost everything I post has some sort of dollar value to it, and I'm trying to warn others that their choices can cost them money. For example, in this post alone, the lack of oil pressure may cost this customer an added expense to an already expensive repair. During my two test rides trying to duplicate this customers transmission problem, I wrote "hear tapping or light lifter noise during first 2-3 mins on right side." On the 2nd test ride "valve ticking on r-side until eng warmed." Also, on the 2nd test ride I wrote "late clutch engagement." His engine noise immediately caught my attention. I will admit that at the time I was thinking he's also gonna need a valve adjustment. As for the clutch I was thinking he's running a synthetic oil. Now all those suspicions change. As for the clutch, low oil pressure can cause premature clutch wear.
Greg,
You're like a Timex - for those that remember that commercial.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You might consider this. Other then engines that I don't feel comfortable running at 5,000 rpms, I do oil pressures test on all that come in for a transmission repair. So that means that I've probably done 60 more oil pressure tests than anyone else on the forum. Of those test, those engines have a variant of oil filter brands. So here is the point ... when one fails oil pressure test, it has always had an aftermarket oil filter ... never ever, thus far, has one failed an oil pressure test that had an OEM oil filter. Coincidence ... I'm sure SOME WILL ARGUE it is !!!
I'm sure you will place me in this category but really I'm trying to help you out. Observation and coincidence prove nothing though it makes a strong anecdotal case for those looking for a simple answer. Surely you would want to be seen as an expert with the knowledge to back up a claim like this but it ...... doesn't come off like that because the claims are lacking credibility.

Consider that the post quoted doesn't say if you have seen in your shop 60 Goldwings total, 60 Goldwings with low oil pressure, 60 Goldwings out of xxx and of these then 60 failed low oil pressure, these 60 all had aftermarket filter always from day one [ well OEM at first then aftermarket since yesterday, since 3K ago, 10K ago, 25K ago, 50K ago], and of these all 60 [never, maybe, always, sometimes, well the first owner did but owners 2 & 3 never did] had the [5w30, 5w40, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, 20w50, dino, synblend, synthetic] changed on time while 25% changed every [3K, 4K, 5K, 8K, 12K, when they felt like it, never] and the other 75%.......

Fact is there are so many variables at work it's not possible to equate low oil pressure with the brand of filter on the bike when it came to you. I had a hard time with Statistics in college but I did learn you can't draw conclusions from anecdotal observations.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts