GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm sure you will place me in this category but really I'm trying to help you out. Observation and coincidence prove nothing though it makes a strong anecdotal case for those looking for a simple answer. Surely you would want to be seen as an expert with the knowledge to back up a claim like this but it ...... doesn't come off like that because the claims are lacking credibility.

Consider that the post quoted doesn't say if you have seen in your shop 60 Goldwings total, 60 Goldwings with low oil pressure, 60 Goldwings out of xxx and of these then 60 failed low oil pressure, these 60 all had aftermarket filter always from day one [ well OEM at first then aftermarket since yesterday, since 3K ago, 10K ago, 25K ago, 50K ago], and of these all 60 [never, maybe, always, sometimes, well the first owner did but owners 2 & 3 never did] had the [5w30, 5w40, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, 20w50, dino, synblend, synthetic] changed on time while 25% changed every [3K, 4K, 5K, 8K, 12K, when they felt like it, never] and the other 75%.......

Fact is there are so many variables at work it's not possible to equate low oil pressure with the brand of filter on the bike when it came to you. I had a hard time with Statistics in college but I did learn you can't draw conclusions from anecdotal observations.

Your last sentence is an inescapable truth. A favorite expression of an economics professor I studied under is in its Latin origin: "post hoc ergo propter hoc". Post hoc is a fallacy because correlation does not equal causation. ... The Latin expression post hoc, ergo propter hoc can be translated literally as "after this, therefore because of this." The concept can also be called faulty causation, the fallacy of false cause, arguing from succession alone or assumed causation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Amen on OP as Honda does not or ever did make it's own oil filter neither does anyone else in the OE industry. Honda, Ford, GM you name it has the filters rebranded and adds a little profit in. All the OE also shop for the lowest prices out there. Google Champion Labs and find out the number of different oil filter brands come from them and then check the price differences at your local parts store. That's just my 2 cents after 40 years in the auto and motorcycle business.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Who makes the OEM filter?

What other filters does that same company make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have no idea, but it wouldn't matter, since it is made to Honda's requirements.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Amen on OP as Honda does not or ever did make it's own oil filter neither does anyone else in the OE industry. Honda, Ford, GM you name it has the filters rebranded and adds a little profit in. All the OE also shop for the lowest prices out there. Google Champion Labs and find out the number of different oil filter brands come from them and then check the price differences at your local parts store. That's just my 2 cents after 40 years in the auto and motorcycle business.
If you are implying that an OEM oil filter is rebranded with generic quality, your 2 cents is very wrong. That would be like saying that a cheeseburger from Mac'Ds is the same as one from Houstons or Bubba's33.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Everyone has different experiences and there is no one answer that’s fits all. Information passed on is just that....information of your personal experience, you have people that are very meticulous on Service and those that just don’t care as much with what they use and as long as it works. Nothing wrong with either of those, some do there on wrenching and some takes there bikes to a shop to do everything and that’s ok too. Me I will use the OEM filters, oil and air, I will use Honda synthetic 10-30 oil until I feel it’s not giving me the performance it should in my bike.

Reactions: proudpeacock

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have no idea, but it wouldn't matter, since it is made to Honda's requirements.
Champion Labs make a lot of filters, very good quality filters so I would almost beat they make Honda filters. In the automotive filters not all are equal, I have cut a lot of them open and you would be surprised at how crappy a lot of the cheap filters are made

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Please post what you found inside the engine when you open it up (with this much time past- I’d bet your in it now). To me, the filter age/brand are at this point irrelevant. I wished you had run to 5000 rpm, but I get it-it’s not yours to destroy. I hope you spec the oil pump for wear to add to this thread. There was a way to test oil releaf valves off the (car) but it was a kit at the dealership I worked at. We sure would like conformation of excessive wear from your findings. Keep us posted of this engines condition Would you, please?

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So what is actually causing these filters to fail that your testing?

Usually it's cause from not using a cataloged oil filter. Some will use a filter that Bill-Bob says to use, while others use what Joe-Sixpack thinks is best. I always say to select the filter suggested by the oil filters manufacture's catalog. Other's will use cross references which can be a bad choice.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
👀

Post deleted. I will put up a fresh post for my question.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Usually it's cause from not using a cataloged oil filter. Some will use a filter that Bill-Bob says to use, while others use what Joe-Sixpack thinks is best. I always say to select the filter suggested by the oil filters manufacture's catalog. Other's will use cross references which can be a bad choice.
I understand that part, but what exactly inside the oil filter is causing lower pressures ?

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I understand that part, but what exactly inside the oil filter is causing lower pressures ?

The media itself. Some oil filters over filter and plug themselves to the point of not letting oil through. For various reasons, a GL1800 can be considered a dirty engine. It has a various internal parts that wear. As those parts wear, particle break away and pollute the oil. For example the engine oil is shared with a wearing clutch, and a wearing old style ADGs. However, its very evident that this engine did't get frequent air filter changes.

The outside of this Wing is a clean as a whistle. And I'm sure the owner will make statements like his Wing is well cared for. I've learned that means that it is garaged and always clean and shinny. And my guess would be it got frequent oil changes, brakes, and tires when needed. But like most Wings, that's where "well cared for" ends.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Clogged filters cause bypass valves to open so the oil pressure is not affected. A filter has to be seriously neglected to clog to the point the bypass opens. Neglect of reasonal service intervals might be why an engine develops low oil pressure. Oh no, that brings in another variable :(

·
Registered
276 Posts
Cheap filter media fails and the bypass valve won’t work. Not all by pass valves are created equal

·
Registered
125 Posts
A!l I can say is my 2cents built 2 NHRA record holder engines together with who knows how many other engines you can not blanket blame one part until you know the history of the engine and the maintenance that it received throughout its life including the way it was ridden and used. You own a garage so therefore the bike had problems or it wouldn't be in your shop. Tell me what the readings are on the bearings and are they showing signs of oil starvation, are a!l the oil passages clean etc. You can't take a picture and make a movie. As any mechanic knows many things affect oil pressure not just the filter. What is the specs on the pump.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
What is the price difference between an OEM oil filter and an aftermarket oil filter? What's the cost difference when broken down into cost per mile? Is it really worth the "savings" for not buying an OEM filter? I probably waste more money in my selection of what to eat at one DQ stop.

Reactions: greyhound

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
What is the price difference between an OEM oil filter and an aftermarket oil filter? What's the cost difference when broken down into cost per mile? Is it really worth the "savings" for not buying an OEM filter? I probably waste more money in my selection of what to eat at one DQ stop.
If using an oil filter manufactures' catalog, in other words, selecting an oil filter that their engineers say to use, maybe $3-4 bucks. If using a cross reference, or selecting one by physical outer appearance (length, width, thread size), or using the one Joe Six-Pack uses, $6-7 bucks.

Either way its a win-win for me :) I get to warn others about what I find which fulfills my passion to write, and for the ones who ignore ... cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching !!! Please, please, please do as you please, and feed work to the mechanic of your choice.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Greg, could you go over the procedure of checking the oil pressure? I have a oem filter and would like to know what pressure I'm getting. I would like to monitor the pressure periodically and see if I have any changes occur toward the end of it's life span and the pressure with a new filter after an oil change. I would like to know where you are hooking your gauge into.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts