GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of changing my seat set-up. The choices are to re-cover the seat with leather on my '06 or to buy an aftermarket seat...which will be a real hassle for me as I live in Canada and will have to deal with mailing and customs twice to make this happen (assuming I send the seat to the States).

The problems with the seat are:

1. On hot days I start to sweat and get uncomfortable. I have started using beads and this solves this problem to a great extent.

2. I get really uncomfortable to the point of being in pain so I usually get off the bile a couple of times between fill-ups.

The questions for all of you are:

A) What did you do to solve this problem?

B) If you bought an aftermarket seat what were the results re your comfort level? What kind of seat did you buy?

C) Has anyone simply recovered the stock seat with leather and what was the result of that?

D) So as to avoid the customs issues are there any good seat re-builders in Canada that you would recommend?

·
Registered
408 Posts
The biggest aggravation of the stock seat is the deep crease at the bottom of the driver's backrest. After coming back to the bike after an unexpected rain, I wipe off the seat so as not to soak the seat of my pants. As soon as I sit down a small trickle of water comes out from its hiding place in that crease. It feels oh so wet and leaves a potentially embarassing wet spot on the pants. :oops:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I was also having problems w/ heat, so I rode the last several years w/ WalMart beads. Few months ago I purchased AirRider gel pad. So far I have been very pleased. Good air flow (not quite as good as beads), and excellent for "hot spots". No more squirming around to get comfortable after 100 miles in the saddle.

Cheaper than new seat. Mine was $134.00.

www.airrider.com

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Crossrodes said:
B) If you bought an aftermarket seat what were the results re your comfort level? What kind of seat did you buy?
With the stock seat I couldn't ride from Daytona to Tampa a distance of 150 miles without being on fire down there.

I spent the dough on a Hartco and can now ride as long as I can stay awake. The seat is no longer the limitation. I've ridden a 1000 miles in a day once and 700 in a day several times.

Check the classified ads here you can get a much better deal. A new aftermarket seat is expensive. Used ones can be had for as little as $300 here.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Crossrodes,
Jump on I-5 next summer and ride on down to Lake Shasta, CA. Russell Day Long seat, they are great. If you make an appointment they will do your seat in 1 day while you wait, and you will get a custom fit, just like in a tailor shop.

BTW, I think you live in one of the greatest places on earth. I spent a few summer vacations up there on my boat.

Moby

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The Utopia backrest helped with 2 blown lumbar disks but hip still hurt after surgery for torn cartilage and stock seat with lousey support. I rode ~200 miles from GA to Wings Over The Smokies rally about 6 weeks after surgery and my hip was hurting as usual after 30minutes in the seat. When I got there, Ultimate seats was the first vendor I saw and I really like the look of the seat with the low passenger backrest (I ride alone) but $$$$. I then spotted the Wing Soft tent and decided it was worth risking $175 for the seat upgrade. For those who don't know about Wingsoft, they cutout the piece of crap stock foam and replace it with a much thicker and much better piece of foam and sew back the seat. It looks like stock but feels soooooo much better. I was pain free on the 3-4 hr ride home and have been since. Granted I have not been doing alot of riding since my E3's are almost toast but I am riding to MA and NH from GA over 2500 miles for a few days in Nov. and will spend alot of saddletime and am confident I'll be happy.
http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/

Steve

·
Registered
309 Posts
ddking said:
Here is one in Canada.

http://ultimateseats.ca/goldwingGL1800.html

I've never tried one.

I've used Corbin, Wingsoft, Diamond/Hartco and Russell Day Long. The best were Diamond/Hartco and RDL. Take the link in my signature for reviews on the last three.
While Ultimates are great seats (had one on a Valk), they are not leather and will not cover in leather even if asked.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Saddlement's Road Sofa in leather is what I currently have. I like it a lot... from the leather workmanship to the front-to-back cooling crease.

It also has air bladders in the rider's backrest and the vetical part of the rider's seat for fine adjustments.

It runs mid-range on the pricing... about $770 in leather with backrest at third parties.

Go here: http://www.saddlemen.com/cruiserindex.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
seats

i just done 2000 miles 2 days and 6 hrs on my new wing soft!! my back end didn't get uncomfortable at all i really like the wingsoft, and the price is right also

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetings,

Resolving the issue of the seat is the biggest and best investment you can make in a Goldwing in my humble opinion of course.

Your size, height, weight, and inseam play the biggest role in what seat will work best. Having one custom built to your specifications is the ideal solution.

Here are my reviews of the seats I've been through.....keeping in mind I'm 6'2" 225 lbs with a 34 inch inseam.

Stock - good for 50 miles before the pain begins.

Stock seat with Wingsoft insert - gave me another 75 miles or so before it was intolerable.

Hartco Pro Tour - Vinyl covered - built to my height and weight. No limits on time/distance other than other bodily functions and needs.

Hartco Pro Tour - Velour covered - not as comfy as the vinyl since it took much more effort to slide around on the seat to change potential hot spots.

Ultimate Big Boy - Vinyl covered - superb seat! Not quite as comfy as the vinyl Hartco but very close. One of the best points of the Ultimate is the ease of installation. It falls perfectly into place every time without having to fight/wiggle/jiggle and deal with the seat grommets.

The backrests on the Hartco are superior to the Ultimate and stock with Utopia.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ataDude said:
ddking said:
Here is one in Canada.

http://ultimateseats.ca/goldwingGL1800.html

I've never tried one.

I've used Corbin, Wingsoft, Diamond/Hartco and Russell Day Long. The best were Diamond/Hartco and RDL. Take the link in my signature for reviews on the last three.
While Ultimates are great seats (had one on a Valk), they are not leather and will not cover in leather even if asked.

They offer leather for Valk seats, but recommend vinyl. They charge about $100 per piece (4 pieces possible) extra for leather. But I don't know about Wing seats.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Since you live in B.C., I would strongly recommend that you set up an appointment with Russel-DayLong for a ride-in one day seat upgrade. Since you are just having the existing seat "spruced up", I would not think there would be any customs issues. You will be sitting on the seat both going down and coming back up.

http://www.day-long.com/

If you have a significant other that rides with you on a regular basis, have them come with you. Yes, this is an expensive seat but I assure you that this seat will solve your problems. I had one put on my 89 GL-1500 and it transformed my level of comfort on the bike from one of extreme pain to "gee, we've only gone 500 miles and you want to get off the bike?".

I bought the front and rear custom fit package in Red Velour to match my Wineberry bike color. The velour is prone to wear and fading and you have to take better care of it when it rains. On the other hand, that is the only package that really solves the hot, ichy, monkey butt problems associated with vinyl or leather seats in hot weather.

They take your measurements, ask your weight, ask about the problems you have with your current seat, and they then take a picture of you and your passenger on your bike to know about how you sit on it before they start to design and build your seat. They have a really inovative wire frame with upolstery web arrangment that takes the pressure off your tailbone and transfers it across your backside from hip to hip. It is amazing how well it works.

They say to ride it at least 1000 miles before making up your mind about any perceived problem with their build. Now that sounds like they are putting you off, but in reality, all foam takes a set after being used, and they want to be sure they don't change something based on your complaint and then have to change it back a few months later. This should work out realy well for you considering where you are leaving from and your round trip mileage.

My wife and I rode ~500 miles to get to the shop and the same to return. It did feel very different on the ride home but they were exactly right about waiting for 1000 miles before making up my mind. By that mileage, I was sold that this was the ultimate seat and I even had it re-covered twice to keep it looking spiffy. Rikkitik was spot on when he said "...the seat is the biggest and best investment you can make in a GoldWing".

The only reason I do not have one on my 2005 is the cost, but it is certainly in the budget to get one soon. I have one of those bead covers to add some air circulation but it is not anywhere near the same level of comfort that you will experience with a Russel-Daylong seat. Trust me!
:yes:

·
Registered
977 Posts
I laid down the bucks for an Ultimate seat and love it. I have the red ostrich inlays, rider and passenger backrests. Spent 7 hours in the saddle on Monday and was never uncomfortable.

They are pricey, but after checking every seat at the Honda hoot and Wingding I opted for the Ultimate.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I had an Ultimate Low Rider on my 05 VTX 1300 and rode it 7K miles across country in Jul - Aug 06. Encountered temps of 102, 108, and 112 on three successive days. The seat was vinyl covered w/rider backrest. NEVER had a minute of discomfort or being too hot. It was a fabulous seat.

I hope the Ultimate for the Wing is just as good. I am considering finding out. :)

Todd

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i had a hartco velour and thought it was great

right up until the day i received the russell daylong velour with the 06 factory heat wires installed

the difference is what you sit on

the stock and the hartco are similar in that you have lots of pressure on your inner thighs

the russell allows you to sit on your rearend

a world of difference

over 700 miles about 8 times in the couple months i owned the russell, and 1079 another time

i can easily ride the gas tank dry without getting off the seat

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
GL1800GSXR1000 said:
Check the classified ads here you can get a much better deal. A new aftermarket seat is expensive. Used ones can be had for as little as $300 here.

Good Luck!
Wayne, I have never been a fan of the original seat on the GL1800, and would LOVE to afford and purchase an Ultimate seat ( very comfy at WOTS ).

I have a question.....................

If the aftermarket seats are so expensive and great, why are people selling them, and why are they selling them so cheap????

·
Registered
145 Posts
I posted this reply for another seat question but it seems appropriate here also.

I received my new Corbin for my 06 about 3 weeks ago. I really like it. The seat lowered me about an inch and the front seems narrower so at stops it's easier to get both feet planted. I'm 5'8" and about 175lbs. After a 500 mile day no more sore butt and lower back. The backrest seems to fit me just right. The heaters work allot better than the stock seat. At first my wife hated it. I should stop and say that she also hated the Goldwing when I brought it home in April. The only bike she knew was Harley and the Goldwing didn't add up. Well after 20k miles she loves the Wing and after 2k she "likes" the Corbin. There is less room back there for her with the addition of the backrest. I'm confident she will grow to like the Corbin as much as she does the Wing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts