GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice several suppliers selling new aftermarket alternators for Gl 1800... Has anyone on board installed one of these and are they any good???? Mine is 02 and bearings starting to make little chatter,,, 58,000 miles

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Have not noticed aftermarket alts for the 1800. Got links?

prs

·
Registered
479 Posts
haven' t put one on an 1800, but have put several on gl1500 and haven't had any problems, some of them are made by Hitachi same as the oem

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Thanks Bob. I did see visit eBay and so noted.

prs

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have purchased one from Ebay and it says "Made in China" on it. I hope to get it installed next week and I'll give a report on it after it's in. The ad for it made it sound like it was an OEM alternator, which disappointed me. I plan to rebuild my original if it doesn't cost too much, and I'll keep it as a spare.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
someone on this board bought one of those ebay alternators when his Honda alternator went bad on a trip and no Honda dealer where he was had one in stock, last i heard it worked but was making unusual noise so he was going to try getting the ebay seller to replace it under warranty, thats the last i heard

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
I have purchased one from Ebay and it says "Made in China" on it. I hope to get it installed next week and I'll give a report on it after it's in. The ad for it made it sound like it was an OEM alternator, which disappointed me. I plan to rebuild my original if it doesn't cost too much, and I'll keep it as a spare.
i will bet the alternators that come with the GL1800 when new are also made in China

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
someone on this board bought one of those ebay alternators when his Honda alternator went bad on a trip and no Honda dealer where he was had one in stock, last i heard it worked but was making unusual noise so he was going to try getting the ebay seller to replace it under warranty, thats the last i heard
Yes that is what I remember of what Rick went through when stuck in TX.He was going to return it when he got back home.

Based on that,I won't be using them!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetings,

Yep, it was me that had the aftermarket alternator.

Warranty return was no issue at all. I'll give credit the the place I bought it from - DB Electrical out of Gray, TN - sent me a return UPS label same day I notified them of the problem. Replacement was shipped a day after they received the bad one.

New one is due in via UPS Monday. Once it is in I'll report on how quiet this one is. I did run the bike the other day with the alternator out and I was amazed at how quiet that engine is without the alternator.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Don't know about the alternators, but I was wondering why this was moved from Tech, seem to be a Tech question to me.

I would have posted it here too. :shrug:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Don't know about the alternators, but I was wondering why this was moved from Tech, seem to be a Tech question to me.

I would have posted it here too. :shrug:
I agree.This will get lost on the general board and some guys needing to find this info later on won't think to look in old Geleral board threads.
We all know the search feature is dicey at best.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
seems to be a lot of good information getting moved off the tech board lately

1 - 14 of 14 Posts