GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from northern IL., where it seems that we have bypassed spring and jumped right into summer.

:?: The purpose of this message is to seek some wisdom regarding a replacement battery for my '02 1800. This is the first replacement required since I bought the bike new (thanks, Battery Tender!), and I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any really good (or bad) luck with the many aftermarket options available. My bike is totally stock, with no additional loads on the electrical system, and money is very tight right now. Discuss? :?:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
If you've had the same battery in your '02 since it was new, why would you consider anything other than an identical replacement? Basically you got about 12 years of service out of your Yuasa. Are you looking for something better? :shrug:

Get the same battery and be happy for another 12 years. Doesn't that make a lot of sense?

Less than $90 and Free Shipping from Amazon.com

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
It's a frequently asked question, and the consensus answer always seems to be Yuasa.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/vehicle_search.php?action=showListing

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
+3

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Just to be different.. I guess.
I have purchased replacement batteries for a number of my bikes in the last few years. I always buy from a place called "battery mart" on line. Every "factory" or brand battery I have replaced with one from them has been outlived by their replacement. Gel Mat battery for the GW was 69.95 shipped. Can not attest that it will outlive the GW battery as the ones that come in them seem to last forever but they have been better batteries in every other application in which I have used them.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If money is really tight, go to WalMart. Their lawn tractor batteries last me about 4 uears. I have an associate who has one of their M/C batteries going on 4 or so years, so far no problems. By the time it needs replacing, maybe money won't be quite as tight and you can go back to a Yuasa for 12 more years. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Not sure what to recommend? Every battery I have bought from various places to replace factory batteries never last long. Does not matter if is in the car, truck, snowmobile, or motorcycles.

Best I ever get is 2 years from a replacement battery. I have even tried dealers.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Not sure what to recommend? Every battery I have bought from various places to replace factory batteries never last long. Does not matter if is in the car, truck, snowmobile, or motorcycles.

Best I ever get is 2 years from a replacement battery. I have even tried dealers.
i used a Walmart battery for 6 yrs; and replaced it "just because " I was headed out west on a long trip. Stuck another wallyworld battery in.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
I WOULD PROBABLY RECOMMEND THE OEM BATTERY.
With that said it makes a good argument that the GEL batteries are substantially LIGHTER

·
Registered
468 Posts
lithium??

I know the OP was looking for economical replacement....

But what about a lithium, I know they are more expensive, but do they last longer?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I always use Yuasa and think it is the best choice for lowest overall lifetime cost. But if cash is tight and only first cost matters Walmart might be the ticket.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yuasa seem to last the majority of the riders the longest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts