GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody making an aftermarket CD player/changer that ties into the audio system? The one offered by Honda is way too expensive, out of date (like the rest of the electronics package), and won't even play MP3s. I know you can put an MP3 player in the AUX input, but you would think after 9 years of production there would be something else out there that would tie into the OEM system.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
CD Player

With iPods and MP3 players around, I doubt any manufacturer is going to spend the R&D to develop a CD player for the Wing. A MP3 player can be bought real cheap and it just plugs into the AUX input, holds lots more songs and you dont have to worry about the CD skipping.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
Many years ago I bought a Honda CD changer for an Accord that was just about identical to the one used in the Wing and tried to make it work. I was not successful. The protocol used for communicating to the changer was unique, and it couldn't talk to the audio unit. I think I probably still have the schematics for it around here somewhere.

Electrical Connections now has an interface module you can plug into the CD changer and put an Ipod on the other end of and it lets you use the CD controls for the Ipod. With the advent of MP3 players, the CD changer seems like a dinosaur. I have over 400 CD's loaded on my 16GB Ipod Nano and have around 4,000 songs at my fingertips and it only cost a couple hundred bucks and it fits in the glovebox with lots of room left over.

Compare that to around $1,200 for a 6 disc CD changer that has a history of locking up and breaking and takes up a huge amount of space in the trunk and that you have to dig everything out of the trunk to load with new CD's. No thanks.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
Here is a VERY old post (from Globetrotter) I saved back in 02 (two boards ago) on this subject. I was not able to find the cord referenced in the post, but here is the info I have.

I also have the entire service manual for the Pioneer MG6036ZH changer.

I messed around with it for a while and gave up and put in an Ipod and never looked back.

622317 CD Changer

I don't have the part number handy, but I looked it up on this site and
it was listed.

http://www.hparts.com/part.html

Anybody know where they are located?

Found it, the web site says "We ship items via UPS from Oklahoma,
zip code 73008."

The player is a 6 stacker Pioneer model 08a06-3b5-310 from a
Honda accord. The cable to convert this to match the GL is a Honda
part from Japan. I will try and find the part number. The player fits in
the same place and the cable hooks everything up correctly
Globetrotter
Okay, after digging through the garbage I found it.
It is from Honda Japan - called "HARN BUS CORD" and its part
number (on the package) is - wait for it, go find the pencil
"08e22-s04-a00004"
Rush your nearest supplier
This harness (about 10" long) is for the Pioneer CD changer - it may
work with others.
Globetrotter
CD: 08A06-365-310
Harness: 08e22-s04-a00004
You can rest assured, the pioneer does come from a Honda car. I'll
see if I can take a photo of it which clearly shows the honda emblem
on the front along with the manual. Maybe they supply different
models to different markets.
The unit and cable work just as Honda planned, all controls do the
right things and it works just fine.
You need to make a "u" bracket up to mount it in the existing space
in the trunk. It is exactly the same dimensions as the original so fits
in the same spot. I drilled four holes in the "flap" that covers the
compartment in the trunk to hold the bracket and added some
spacers for support. The other hole I drilled was in the rear of the
well to take the cable out to the connector under the seat.
Someone showed a picture of the bike and car CD players side by
side on this board a while back but indicated that a cable needed to
be made up.
This cable is made in Japan so may need to be ordered on them via a
dealer - maybe Hal could assist.
Globetrotter

G

·
The changer and harness mentioned in that post are probably not available anymore. Honda part numbers that start with 08xxx are reserved for accessories and are usually not available one year after the model they were designed for is updated or goes out of production. Since all the Honda cars have been significantly updated since 02, those parts were probably discontinued a long time ago.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a cd changer on mine that plugged into the antenna,it seem to work fine.I now use a Ipod and took the cd changer off,it did take up some space in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If you "REALLY" want a CD changer you can do what I did, I have and FM modulated one in the space for the Honda Line one in the trunk, just ran the remote to the dash under the key and can use it anytime, not integrated into the bikes controls but works pretty good, have not used it in months since I got my I-Pod, but it is and option for you. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
When I had my 92 & 98 SE I mounted a Sony 10 pack CD player for a car in the trunk of my Wing, it ran through an FM station on the radio and the control for the unit I mounted on the handle bar. Simple and cheap

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Electrical Connections now has an interface module you can plug into the CD changer and put an Ipod on the other end of and it lets you use the CD controls for the Ipod. With the advent of MP3 players, the CD changer seems like a dinosaur. I have over 400 CD's loaded on my 16GB Ipod Nano and have around 4,000 songs at my fingertips and it only cost a couple hundred bucks and it fits in the glovebox with lots of room left over.
not being an Apple fan, I've resisted the urge to join the iPod generation for many a moon ... being perfectly happy with my 60gb Creative jukebox. However, with this EC integration, I guess I have to bite the bullet and make Apple a few bucks. Being able to use the controls would be handy ...

Couple of questions:
since EC states the module fits in the trunk compartment, do you use an interface cable to run up to the glovebox? Why?

Since the video capabilities are pretty irrelevant when the unit is in the glovebox or trunk ... what's the best bet for music?

What's the advantage of the Classic vs. the newer technology (or vice-versa)? I thought firewire was supposed to be faster than USB ... why did they "regress?"

thnx

G

·
What's the advantage of the Classic vs. the newer technology (or vice-versa)? I thought firewire was supposed to be faster than USB ... why did they "regress?"

thnx
Firewire 400 (the standard used on early iPods) at 400Mbps is theoretically not as fast as USB 2.0 at 480Mbps. In practice, Firewire is faster at sustained transfer because dedicated hardware handles the protocol rather than using the CPU as USB does. There is a Firewire 800 standard that is significantly faster than USB but uses different cables than Firewire 400 and is not widely supported.

So I guess Apple had the choice of speed or compatibility and chose USB because it is so common. Firewire is popular in the Mac world but most desktop PCs don't have a Firewire interface (although many laptops do). If you want a big market for something that connects to a computer, you have to be compatible with Windoze PCs.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
8-16GB Ipod all the way .

Save the 1,000 and buy some goodies.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I just received the new EC Ipod unit. It doesn't look like the cable is long enough to run all the way to the front. I think it just plugs in under the seat where the CD would have plugged in.

I am looking forward to trying it out.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Firewire 400 (the standard used on early iPods) at 400Mbps is theoretically not as fast as USB 2.0 at 480Mbps. In practice, Firewire is faster at sustained transfer because dedicated hardware handles the protocol rather than using the CPU as USB does. There is a Firewire 800 standard that is significantly faster than USB but uses different cables than Firewire 400 and is not widely supported.

So I guess Apple had the choice of speed or compatibility and chose USB because it is so common. Firewire is popular in the Mac world but most desktop PCs don't have a Firewire interface (although many laptops do). If you want a big market for something that connects to a computer, you have to be compatible with Windoze PCs.
The Apple firewire does not charge (provide power) where USB does.

For my iPhone I bought a mophie juice back (3300 mah pack) and it uses a standard USB adapter to sync and charge so I am no longer slave to the white cords.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's a new product that will allow you plug in your MP3/Ipod player directly into the "CD Changer" connector block....... AND you have full control of your Ipod/MP3 player from your normal existing CD controls.. Because it takes its power from the connector, it turns on and off with the inition and you can even plug your existing CD changer on the other side of the device so you have control of both CD's and MP3.
Good eh?

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway300.php

and this does work on the 'Wing 15 or 18

Martin..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BigBlue, THIS IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!! We have the controls and the display on the 1800 why not use them.

The question now is, do you have or do you know anybody who has one of these and is using it on an 1800?

I've spent about an hour looking at the company web site and looking around the internet and have found very little on the unit and only a phone number for a company that sells them here in the US.

Google returned a total of 7 hits on the part number and most of them where from Europe.

I've only found one price 159 euros.

If this thing works as promised, I'll ditch my Zune and buy an iPod.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
BigBlue, THIS IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!! We have the controls and the display on the 1800 why not use them.

The question now is, do you have or do you know anybody who has one of these and is using it on an 1800?

I've spent about an hour looking at the company web site and looking around the internet and have found very little on the unit and only a phone number for a company that sells them here in the US.

Google returned a total of 7 hits on the part number and most of them where from Europe.

I've only found one price 159 euros.

If this thing works as promised, I'll ditch my Zune and buy an iPod.

EC carries a similar unit. http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/gl18-ipod-hb.htm

I just installed it and it's very easy. I installed mine in the trunk. DO NOT BE MISLED! NON of these types of devices will make use of the LCD display on the wing. It only allows you to pause, skip, replay songs on the IPod from the CD controls on the handlebars. It also provides charging for the IPod. All this while safely locked away in the trunk (if you install it there).

You pass the connector into the trunk (I used the hole/grommet for the CB)

Plug into the CD connector. There is plenty of cable to run from the CD connector into the trunk.

Put the controller box in the trunk and plug it in. DONE!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I just received the new EC Ipod unit. It doesn't look like the cable is long enough to run all the way to the front. I think it just plugs in under the seat where the CD would have plugged in.

I am looking forward to trying it out.
SlowDog,
The cable will go to the front right or left pocket, I even ran mine to the Handlebar, I put the box where the headlight adjuster is, fairly water proof and easy to get.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Here's a new product that will allow you plug in your MP3/Ipod player directly into the "CD Changer" connector block....... AND you have full control of your Ipod/MP3 player from your normal existing CD controls.. Because it takes its power from the connector, it turns on and off with the inition and you can even plug your existing CD changer on the other side of the device so you have control of both CD's and MP3.
Good eh?

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway300.php

and this does work on the 'Wing 15 or 18

Martin..

The Dension system does work on the Goldwing 1800. I am not sure when it actually became available for the Goldwing, but the system has been out for at least several years as I have seen it advertised for cars.

If you do a search, you will find a thread for this product that was started last year.

Based on that thread, I purchased and installed it on my bike last summer. The place I purchased it from is listed in thread. I cannot remember the name but is is in Canada. I called and ordered it over the telephone. It works as advertised.

I have been following the discussions on the EC unit had have noticed some comments that suggest that some readers were not aware of the availability of the Dension unit. I did not mention it because I did not want to take away from the discussion of the EC unit.

As far as I can tell from using the Dension unit and reading about how the EC unit functions, they appear very similar. The only difference might be the price. I am not sure which is less expensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts