GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been reading up on aftermarket exhaust for my F6B, and I read dire descriptions of problems that could occur from switching the exhaust. I've read that changing the exhaust could affect the valves, and will reduce back-pressure behind the valves, and might change the power curve. However, I haven't found a post yet that indicates what that really means. Does that mean the engine will fail at 30k miles? 50k? Does it just mean I'll have to service the engine sooner? How much power will I really lose in the lower RPMs? Will I even notice it?

I am not very mechanically inclined. I only half-way understood what I was reading regarding backpressure. I understand that dirty or burned valves are not good, but is this really a possibility with the wing? I've read conflicting opinions on the matter.

I intend to go with Cobra six-2-six exhaust, will I need to re-tune the ECM? What does that entail? Can the factory ECM be re-tuned, or will I need to buy an aftermarket fuel controller?

I know the F6B sounds good as is, but I like loud exhaust. That's just what I like. I really like the sound of the cobras. I don't want to install them if they're going to destroy my F6B, though.

Please throw your thoughts at me, unless, of course, it's "the wing sounds fine the way it is," or "loud exhaust is annoying."

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have had the Cobra Six-2-Six twice. Once stock and after a week the novelty wore off and the drone annoyance set in and I removed them. Bought TBR and they were quieter but still had drone and removed them after a few weeks. Then when I decided to install Torq Loopz and try the Cobra again. WoW, what a difference!! The bike ran great and sounded better than ever. Absolutely no drone while cruising. I eventually sold my 2nd set of Cobra pipes for a Bassani manufactured set of Stainless Steel pipes. Absolutely thrilled with sound and performance. What I learned is I would not ever change pipes on a GL1800 without installing Torq Loopz.

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
I have had the Cobra Six-2-Six twice. Once stock and after a week the novelty wore off and the drone annoyance set in and I removed them. Bought TBR and they were quieter but still had drone and removed them after a few weeks. Then when I decided to install Torq Loopz and try the Cobra again. WoW, what a difference!! The bike ran great and sounded better than ever. Absolutely no drone while cruising. I eventually sold my 2nd set of Cobra pipes for a Bassani manufactured set of Stainless Steel pipes. Absolutely thrilled with sound and performance. What I learned is I would not ever change pipes on a GL1800 without installing Torq Loopz.
Here is what I know.

All aftermarket pipes cause back-firing or popping out the exhaust. The same is true for Torq Loops. It can occur under various conditions. 5th gens have a few different part numbers for ECMs, and all part numbers are gonna have different fuel mapping, so from year to year, and from muffler to muffler it is hard to predict exactly what your results will be. I've never heard of any on 5th gens having valve problems from changing the exhaust. All aftermarket mufflers will change the tone. Pipes like Cobras corrode on the inside causing the baffles to rot, and the baffles will go bad internally in a short time ... rotting change the tone more.

Sometimes aftermarket exhaust causes the exhaust to stink. When riding in groups, I try to not be behind one with aftermarket exhaust.

For the most part, OEM pipes last forever and do not cause back firing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Greg, my bike with Torq Loopz, All Stainless Steel Bassani Manufactured Exhaust Mufflers and O2 Eliminators does not have any decelerations popping or back-firing whatsoever. It runs absolutely great and performs better than stock. I will agree about the mild steel baffles that rust out quickly that many manufacturers use. That is the reason I sold my 2nd set of Cobra pipes that were installed with the Torq Loopz and O2 Eliminators. They looked horrible from the back with the rusted baffles. Hence the reason I got the all stainless steel Alley Kat mufflers that were manufactured by Bassani. The OEM mufflers are very high quality materials but are different sizes / volumes left and right sides and designed to be used with a crossover pipe. The Torq Loopz does away with the crossover pipe so best to replace the OEM mufflers if installing Torq Loopz. Since I do not have the Lambda sensor signaling the ECM to lean out the AFR in closed loop low load situations, my air injection system is not running and may be the reason I do not have the decel popping.

Basically I am running the excellent OEM 3D fuel maps without leaning out the AFR from the Lambda input to protect the catalytic converter. This improves closed loop low load engine response.

Would I install again if I got another GL1800, absolutely without hesitation. I am that happy with the difference. BTW, I thought my bike ran good before the modifications and only installed them because I got bored and decided to try it after some research.

Here is what I know.

All aftermarket pipes cause back-firing or popping out the exhaust. The same is true for Torq Loops. It can occur under various conditions. 5th gens have a few different part numbers for ECMs, and all part numbers are gonna have different fuel mapping, so from year to year, and from muffler to muffler it is hard to predict exactly what your results will be. I've never heard of any on 5th gens having valve problems from changing the exhaust. All aftermarket mufflers will change the tone. Pipes like Cobras corrode on the inside causing the baffles to rot, and the baffles will go bad internally in a short time ... rotting change the tone more.

Sometimes aftermarket exhaust causes the exhaust to stink. When riding in groups, I try to not be behind one with aftermarket exhaust.

For the most part, OEM pipes last forever and do not cause back firing.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Don't worry about it. I've been running Cobra Tri-Ovals for the last 100K miles without an issue.

It runs exactly like stock with a bit different sound. No decel popping or strange noises of any kind at any rpm or engine braking speed.

Note...my exhaust just replaced the silencer portion. OEM ECM sensors and cross pipe are still in place. If you take those out, it might be more of an issue for the ECM to adjust to.

Reactions: ccjcc81

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I’m surprised to read of oxygen sensor eliminators. How do these engines run so well without proper inputs to the ecm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’m surprised to read of oxygen sensor eliminators. How do these engines run so well without proper inputs to the ecm.
It appears you do not have a complete understanding of the Honda Programmed Fuel Injection system. Please see below attachments for a better understanding.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Those 3D maps look impressive.
It must have taken Don Guhl a LOT of computer time to create new maps for a Goldwing ECM.
No wonder it costs $375 for a reflash of an ECM.

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
I CAN "FLASH " YA FOR FREE ! :surprise::laugh::laugh: NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY TORQMASTER NO STINK OR POPPING

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
It appears you do not have a complete understanding of the Honda Programmed Fuel Injection system. Please see below attachments for a better understanding.
Having worked on 4 wheeled conveyances for 25+ years fitted with everything from a single downdraft carburetor to 3 stage catalytic converted up and down stream lambda systems that were German engineered with readiness codes etc, gave me a fair understanding of electronically controlled fuel systems. The above diagrams indicate that O2 sensor inputs are needed under certain circumstances to obtain a proper air/fuel ratio for complete combustion. My thought remains unchanged as to how a system designed for o2 sensor input works so well with that required input removed.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I had Vance & Hines Monster slip-ons on my 05 before it was triked. It ran (and sounded) great. I believe a it had a little more power than stock. No backfiring ever.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Having worked on 4 wheeled conveyances for 25+ years fitted with everything from a single downdraft carburetor to 3 stage catalytic converted up and down stream lambda systems that were German engineered with readiness codes etc, gave me a fair understanding of electronically controlled fuel systems. The above diagrams indicate that O2 sensor inputs are needed under certain circumstances to obtain a proper air/fuel ratio for complete combustion. My thought remains unchanged as to how a system designed for o2 sensor input works so well with that required input removed.
Short version. If you remove the sensors, it stays in open loop mode and never gets to closed loop.

It's not as efficient and optimized, but it will work.

I prefer to leave the sensors in place.

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Short version. If you remove the sensors, it stays in open loop mode and never gets to closed loop.

It's not as efficient and optimized, but it will work.

I prefer to leave the sensors in place.
And it does run ok, I’ve ridden one with tubes and no sensors, if I wasn’t told they were gone, I would never know. Shows how tough the engineers made these contraptions. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm. Glad to hear a few people state that no major issues popped up with theirs. 100K miles without problems is hopeful. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
755 Posts
What about the "Vance and Hines exhaust" should I change my stock Ex out for these? I have a 2009 GW

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Are you really sure that by [changing/replacing] the stock pipes that you really do have more power??.. Or because it's louder it's just your imagination , that it's really going faster??
Not trying to be smart azz here, but I remember changing to straight pipes or removing the baffles, back in it's days, it always felt like I was going faster, or had more power, BUT in reality it was just the extra loudness that made it seem faster............. Aaaaaaaaaaaaa the good old days....

Heck, remember placing baseball cards in my bicycle spokes, heck man, I had the fastest bicycle around....NO one could beat me!!!! LOL

Ronnie

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
What about the "Vance and Hines exhaust" should I change my stock Ex out for these? I have a 2009 GW
Not familiar with that exact setup but the key is leaving the O2 sensors and cross pipe in place and just changing the muffler / silencer part.

If you do that, it won't affect the bike much other than changing the exhaust note / tone and possibly (although I doubt it) allowing for more airflow and a small hp gain.

Now...if you remove the cross pipe and sensors...the bike will just run in open loop ECM mode all the time. I don't know if that hurts anything long term or not.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
And now for something different but still 2 wheel related I was thinking of selling my 08 busa so I removed the YOSHI duel slipons that were on it for EPA reasons and to pass a roadworthy test here to my amazement The bike goes better and accelerates smoother now and the throttle response feels crisper to Now I am not in a hurry to take of the stock mufflers The moral of the story is I think any time you put on aftermarket exhaust system or even aftermarket mufflers you need to tune the motor to the changes you made be it on a dyno or a ECU flash or both :yes1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts