GL1800Riders Forums banner

Aftermarket fuel regulator purchase and use.

• I bought one and never installed it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I bought one, installed it and removed it.

• I bought one, installed it and am still using it.

• Fuel regulator? Where'd ya get the fuel regulator?

• What's a fuel regulator?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how many people bought the aftermarket regulator?
And how many are still using it?
I bought one and am still using it. I know Fred H. bought one. Don't know if he took it off or not.
I like it because it got rid of the on/off throttle response durring slow 1st gear manuvers. It also got rid of the flat spot people complain about at low speeds in first. But it also brought down my fuel mileage just a bit.

Please add to the pole if you are so inclined. Thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
aftermarket fuel pressure regulator

I have Fred's DVD's but wasn't aware of folks changing the regulator. Saw one post where some dude basically buffered the vacuum signal, not sure who it was though. Where can we get this regulator?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure many folks did. Fred and I might have been the only ones.
I will try to look through my receipts for the maker of this regulator.
It's popular with the ST1300 crowd.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only makes subtle changes at best. But for me it was well worth it. I live near some of the best motorcycle roads in the world with lots of switchbacks/U-turns. It was pretty tricky making some of those switchbacks on the stock regulator.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only because there are 4 votes for it already.

On Fuel injected systems, you need a constant supply of fuel so that when an injector is activated (the orifice is opened) a predetermined amount of fuel is released. It is predetermined by various factors. Base regulator pressure, engine vacuum, temperature guage, warm-up regulator just to name a few. The base regulator pressure is determined by the spring in the regulator. If you tamper with the base spring pressure, you effect the fuel pressure all throughout the rage regardless of other inputs as they only know what the peramiters of change are. They do not know that the base pressure has been changed. Therefore, if you adjust the regulator to run a bit rich at idle, it will run a bit rich all the way up the scale. Remember we are not adjusting computer inputs that can cause the O2 sensor the overcome erronious inputs. We are starting higher up on the fuel schedule to begin with.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Regulator infor

Nedro,

Where do you buy the aftermarket regulator and about what is the cost?

Next how hard is it to install?

I'm pretty good with a wrench and if it helps a little bit I'll try it.

John

·
Registered
501 Posts
Why would you want to mess with the most advanced system for
a TOURING bike ever? If you mess with it of course the fuel mileage
will be different. On a computer controled system, you need to alter
the map if you change anything.
This is like the HD guy that changes the exhaust, does not change th jetting, and complains about performance.
I here about too many people buying a Wing and expecting it to be an FJR. It is a TOURING bike not a sport bike.
Go for a ride and enjoy it........

·
Registered
309 Posts
Turbo City is probably the place you're talking about. Tom, also known as TurboCity Tom, is the owner of the place.

I used one of his modified regulators (58 psi vs 50 psi) for an ST-1300 and it solved a very specific problem - twitchy thorttle. Lots of ST-1300 owners used it and had the same good results.

But... I see no need for one on the GW... it's a solution for a problem that we don't have.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have found that at very low speeds in 1st gear that my throttle is very jerky for an instant if going from idle to adding throttle unless you keep the clutch in the friction zone. Souds like this could solve that problem.

DJ

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ataDude said:
Turbo City is probably the place you're talking about. Tom, also known as TurboCity Tom, is the owner of the place.

I used one of his modified regulators (58 psi vs 50 psi) for an ST-1300 and it solved a very specific problem - twitchy thorttle. Lots of ST-1300 owners used it and had the same good results.

But... I see no need for one on the GW... it's a solution for a problem that we don't have.

YES Twitchy throttle, but the GL also has a flat spot at low speeds in first where if the engine bogs a bit, you can find yourself on the side of the bike lifting it up off the ground. It hasn't happened to me, but I got pretty close a couple of times.

And yes again, Turbo city is where I got it from.

Also, I'm not trying to get people to buy these. I was wondering how many people tried it and what they thought about it.

As I said before, they are subtle changes. But chages in the right direction non the less.

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
I ran the Turbo City regulator for about 6 months. It did make an ever-so-slight improvement at low rpms. I also recall putting a gauge on the fuel rail and testing the fuel pressure changes after installing. I am sure I posted them on here somewhere.

I eventually took it off and went back to stock and I really didn't notice a big change when I went back to stock.

I also experimented with a damper on the vacuum line to the regulator to get rid of the fuel pressure fluctuations at low rpm (idle and near-idle).

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
blento said:
Why would you want to mess with the most advanced system for
a TOURING bike ever? If you mess with it of course the fuel mileage
will be different. On a computer controled system, you need to alter
the map if you change anything.
This is like the HD guy that changes the exhaust, does not change th jetting, and complains about performance.
I here about too many people buying a Wing and expecting it to be an FJR. It is a TOURING bike not a sport bike.
No, it is not like you are describing. It would be more like bringing home your freshly mounted tire and wheel from the dealer. Then, instead of mounting the wheel to your bike, you put it on your own ballancer and fine tune what has already been done.
OR...
Like when you get a new carburator from pep boys and change out the needles in the mains, epoxy the lower passage caps, and reset the floats. Something only people who are mechanics would know about. I've met guys with 20+ years of wrenching that would NOT qualify being a mechanic.
BTW, just because someone works on machinery, does not make them a mechanic. Anybody can work on a bike. A mechanic fixes them. :wink:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fred H. said:
I ran the Turbo City regulator for about 6 months. It did make an ever-so-slight improvement at low rpms. I also recall putting a gauge on the fuel rail and testing the fuel pressure changes after installing. I am sure I posted them on here somewhere.

I eventually took it off and went back to stock and I really didn't notice a big change when I went back to stock.

I also experimented with a damper on the vacuum line to the regulator to get rid of the fuel pressure fluctuations at low rpm (idle and near-idle).
Thanks Fred, I was hoping this would smoke you out. :lol:
I left mine in because of all the switchbacks I ride. The subtle change make all the difference in the world on those tricky little buggers.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
blento said:
It's my bike, not your bike. Remember? Mine is the one without front end wobble. Mine is the one without a frame crack. Mine is the one that doesn't stall or hick-up. Mine is the one that does not stick at the left luggage compartment.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a reason for that??? :roll:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
blento said:
Why would you want to mess with the most advanced system for a TOURING bike ever?
It may be the most advanced system for a touring bike ever but it is the rough equivalent of late 1980's automobile technology. The system works great the way it is but needs a few impovements to get it up to modern day standards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts