GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping for an aftermarket kickstand for two reasons:

1. Need one with a larger footprint to keep from sinking.
2. Need one that is slightly longer than stock to keep the bike a bit more upright when on the stand.

Primarily I need a LONGER one. (I'm only 140# and the stock stand leans the bike way too far over for my liking.)

I saw some GL1800s in the parking lot at Wing Ding with chrome aftermarket kickstands on them that kept the bike a bit more upright, but could not find the owners to ask them who the kickstand manufacturer was.

It looked like they might have been the Add-On chrome kickstand by the looks of the oval shape of the foot.

I have also seen the ShowChrome Cruise Wing kickstand, but the reviews on that one say that the foot does not sit flat on the ground when deployed. Plus, I don't know if it's longer than stock or not.

I really need a LONGER one. Anyone have one they can recommend?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
This might be a first. Don't think I have ever seen a request for a longer stand. Most folks complain because the bike sits to upright making it a bit easy to tip over.

Using a foot like below would both slightly increase the height of the stand and increase the stand's foot print.

I'm unaware of a stand that is specifically longer though. Best bet might be to add some material to the underside of the kickstand's foot.

You could also drop the preload on the rear shock but I imagine that would be time consuming to constantly adjust the preload.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Kuryakyn and Add On make kick stands wide wider feet to help prevent sinking in sand or hot asphalt. I understand you don't like struggling to get the bike upright from the OEM stand -- but I recommend you reconsider your desire to install a longer one. There are times you will appreciate having the extra lean and weight on the ground when you have to park on a slight incline or in windy conditions that could make it easier to knock your bike over if it were more upright. Maybe you could "buff up" a bit more so you could better mange getting the bike off the stand?

·
Registered
812 Posts
You'll want the shorter stand if you ever get a flat as well.

Don't ask why I mention this today :cry:

jason

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could also drop the preload on the rear shock...
Well... I just had a "DUH" moment after your reply!

This past weekend was the first trip for me and my wife loaded up with all three bags of luggage headed to Wing Ding. So, of course, I increased the preload on the rear shock considerably compared to the setting when I ride alone. Probably had it set too high (my wife is smaller than me).

For a while I was thinking there must be something coming loose under there for my bike to be leaning so far over on the stand. DUH! (Parked with both of us off of it and the bags all empty!) Double DUH ! ! !

I like the Rivco Foot Pad in your post. I may just try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not sure how far your Wing leans, but after upgrading the suspension on my 2008, it leans more than OEM, but I like it. The streets around here have a crown on them and before the upgrade I had trouble parking the bike as it would not lean far enough. After the upgraded suspension and the increased lean I have no touble parking in the street. I did put the above mentioned foot on the oem kickstand to prevent making holes in hot asphalt, soft dirt, etc. Works great.

You could also carry something of the appropriate thickness to put under the sidestand to achive the dessired angle. Attach a cord to it and loop it over the handgrip or something. Then you just pull it up with the cord after the bike is off the sidestand.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could also carry something of the appropriate thickness to put under the sidestand to achive the dessired angle.
A good idea as well.

I have a couple of those octagonal blue plastic Progressive Insurance sidestand pads. Might just epoxy a couple of those togther and carry that in the fairing pocket for those occassions where the back shock preload is set up high.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I use a sidestand called the Fish sidestand and they where made longer than the stock sidestand...the only problem is before everyone was doing suspension upgrades the Fish sidestands were too long for the stock bike and caused the bike to stand straight up with not enough lean....so Fish then shorten the sidestand, but the original Fish sidestand works perfect with a Traxxion wing if you can find one of the older Fish sidestands.

Another option that I have done with a few of my friends Wings that have upgraded their suspension to fix the lean angle was to take a small piece of 1/2" thick stainless steel plate, and with a grinder shape the plate to fit the bottom of the sidestand foot, and then sand the edges with a sanding pad with the grinder to make it look pretty. Then with the stainless plate shaped to fit the sidestand foot, drill a 1/2" hole in the middle of the stainless foot plate....then put the shaped plate on the bottom of the sidestand foot and weld the stainless plate to the bottom of the sidestand foot through the 1/2" hole in the stainless plate, filling in the hole with stainless weld rod. Then just grind the bottom of the sidestand foot and repaint the sidestand black.....if you use a aftermarket chrome sidestand with a wide foot, everything is the same except you just keep a water soaked rag on top of the chrome while welding to keep the chrome cooler so it won't turn color from the heat from welding on the bottom of the sidestand foot. Works very well, is easy to do and the sidestand looks good.....use stainless because it doesn't rust after the bottom of the sidestand gets scuffed up from use.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just welded, shaped larger, and painted a 1/4 inch plate onto the stock sidestand. If you go to much longer the sidestand will dictate where you will be able to park which can be a major hassle at times.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I carry a 4"X4" pc. of wood in the bag on the back of my utopia back rest. I just pull it out and throw it down and kick it under my stand. Thickness is your choice.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i have a longer one bout an inch. home made but very strong. i just lowered the bike so i need to go back to a shorter one. maxster :evil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts