GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came from the world of cruiser bikes, you know mostly load pipes. Well with that said what choices do I have for this wing. Don't want load at all but would like to hear a little more then what sound it makes now. Something the sound of a nice car rumble would be nice. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,407 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't think you'll be happy with aftermarket pipes. Nothing you can put on an 1800 that will make it "rumble". It will end up sounding more like an indy race car than anything else.
I still have a set of "louder "pipes that my wife insisted that we buy at a rally. They stayed on 3 hours. When I got home they went into the corner of the barn and the stock pipes went back on. A $400 mistake.
I'd find someone who already has the pipes on, then see if they will allow you a test ride. I'll assure you, thet will be louder riding on the bike than they will be standing 20 feet behind it.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Turbine surgeon said:
I don't think you'll be happy with aftermarket pipes.
With that said, I've got about 130,000 miles on my Alley Kats. I've played with my Wings exhaust the last 25 years. I can't stand quiet. If I wanted to ride a sewing machine, I'd buy a Singer! LOL.... :wink:

The Alley Kats are stainless. They look as good today as they did in '01. I did 465 miles yesterday with a set of Cobras w/baffles installed. They are a hair louder than my Alley Kats. Just my opinion.

Different strokes...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have a set of Alley Kats, currently run with the baffles removed. If some of you technical types would tell me how, I'd be willing to record and play back the pipes with, and without, the baffles installed. I rode the bike up to Tulare and dropped it off to have the fork seals replaced on Friday, while they are a little louder than I'd like for a multi-thousand mile vacation, it really wasn't objectionable for a 70 mile run. I removed the baffles to see if the bike would get any better than 35 mpg around town on my commute to work and home. The recording will have to wait until I have a chance to get back up there and pick it up again, of course.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Duane in Bakersfield said:
I have a set of Alley Kats, currently run with the baffles removed.
When did they start selling Kats with removeable baffles?

TIA...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Red said:
Duane in Bakersfield said:
I have a set of Alley Kats, currently run with the baffles removed.
When did they start selling Kats with removeable baffles?

TIA...
I don't know if they are actually intended to be removable, but mine only have one sheet metal screw through the bottom of the pipe holding the baffle in. The left side slides right in and out, the left side needed a small slide hammer with a hook to persuade it to come out. I've had them in and out several times over the years I've had them for various experiments. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts