GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minor issue, I recently had the brakes replaced with new tires. A 1000 mile trip back from California I noticed no issues. But recently on a trip, I’ve noticed that applying the rear, Foot, brake slightly causes a shutter that appears to be in the front brakes. Applying further pressure causes it to go away. Applying the front brake, handbrake, it does not occur. If while occurring with the foot brakes and then apply the front brake, handbrake, it goes away.

So, it appears while applying the foot brakes with slight pressure a front pad is “skipping” along the rotor. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Mine does this sometimes and my rotors are not warped. I have heard about this quite a lot. I don't think it is any thing to worry about. I do think it is weird that my '01 never did it and the '15 does and it is a little aggravating. I have also noticed that it only does it when my brakes are warm from stop and go riding.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You most likely have friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc, which over time can build up and form a material called "cementite". This phenomenon is usually described as a "warped disc or rotor", even though things are very rarely (if ever) warped. Machining the rotor will remove some of the cementite, but it will be back, especially if your braking (and break-in) habits remain the same.

Here is a good article we used in the P-car community to share information on braking concerns: https://www.brakes-shop.com/brakepedia/general/myths-of-the-braking-system

The rear brake uses the left rotor on the front wheel. Do you often sit at a red light with your foot on the rear brake? This may allow pad material to transfer to the hot rotor.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I had the same problem on my trip to Europe this past month. Hard braking, or braking with the rear brake didn't seem to have a problem, but lighter application of the hand brake and I could feel the pulsation. I had just replaced the front brake pads so had no clue what it could be. Turned out to be the front wheel bearings on their way out.

·
DSI Keeper
9,169 Posts
When mine did this, I would bleed the brakes, front and rear. I tend to use a lot of brakes, so what you had described, happens to me about twice a year. I now make plans to bleed my brakes twice a year. Winter and mid-summer.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
All brake issues start with a thorough inspections. Then I'd be inspection for thing like non-OEM pads, if the pads are installed correctly, checking the rotors for excessive run out, and that the front spinal is installed correctly. Once all that is check, clean all 3 rotors with BrakeCleaner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe the new tires?

" Minor issue, I recently had the brakes replaced with new tires. "

Don't overlook the possibility it is a problem with the tires. On a previous bike I had issues with what the dealer said was warped rotors, both were replaced. But eventually I found out the vibration I would experience was from the front tire wearing unevenly.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
....https://www.brakes-shop.com/brakepedia/general/myths-of-the-braking-system

The rear brake uses the left rotor on the front wheel. Do you often sit at a red light with your foot on the rear brake? This may allow pad material to transfer to the hot rotor.

Correct me in case I am wrong but on the GL1800's, doesnt the foot brake operate both the left and right front brake? I know on my 1500, the handbrake operated the front right caliper and the foot brake operated the rear caliper and the front left.

On my 07 with ABS, accordimg to the Service Manual, the handbrake operates certain pistons in both the front right and front left caliper. The foot brake operated the rear caliper along with certain pistons on both the right front and left front caliper. Is this the same for all GL1800'S or is this just dependent for certain years and whether the bike has ABS braking or not?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Registered
289 Posts
Do a search for Rocky Bleed in tech forums. Sounds like you may have an air bubble in the system. There are very detailed explanations and very credible solution thanks to Rocky.

Reactions: techdude2000

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Honda says to apply both front and rear brakes to stop the shudder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had it since 2800 klms. Had the tech tried it, but he says he could not feel it. Due for my first service wednesday and IT IS still there. Does it even when applying rear and front. We'll see what they say as they will inspect the front brakes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts