GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed the EC Premium lights but can't seem to get them aimed so that they give me the light I expected.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to aim the lights for maximum illumination? Heading to PA in a week and plan to run all night so I want to be able to see down the road to avoid running over pieces of truck tires.

Thanks,

Jeff in sunny and finally cooling down Naples, FL

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
IMHO, the "driving lights" sit too low to do what you want them to do.

They're good at making your bike more visible to others, and to light up the road close to your bike, but won't be much help in avoiding road gators at night.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Jeff,
My driving lights are the type that mount to the front of the engine, not the lower cowling.

With the lower cowling off and the bike about 10 feet from a wall, I put the bike on the center stand, turn on the headlights and driving lights. Then I adjust the driving lights so that they shine below and to either side of the headlights. Snugg everything down then replace the lower cowling.
:wink:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boots,

Thanks for the info.

I was afraid the lights weren't going to do what I wanted once I had them on. The increased visibility of the bike is a definite plus but I also want to be able to see better.

Down here in FL not all of our road gators are made out of rubber .as my son and I found out when an 8 foot piece of tire decided to move as we rode up toward it.

Jeff in cloudy and cooling of Naples, FL

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drtibird,

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try but since my lights are in the cowl I'll probably be ready to shoot myself by the time I get them lined up.

Adjusting them up and down is not a problem but side to side means completely removing the lights from the cowl and using a Dremel tool on the mounting bracket.

Jeff in cloudy and cooling down Naples, FL

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check,cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check,cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check,cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check,cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check, wow thats Me ......not really thrilled either for the price

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The issue with trying to adjust the side to side is that light gets trapped behind the cowl the more you move it to the side. Thats why we went to the mounts that only allow for up/down adjustment (the same thing as the Honda and the Show Chrome design).

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
upssnowman said:
cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check,cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check,cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check,cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check,cowl off-- adjust, cowl on check, wow thats Me ......not really thrilled either for the price
Thats one of the reasons we made the change to the new mount design last year. To remove fustration. The way Honda designed the cowl on this bike there is no way to adjust with the cowl on....well, and not have multiple holes in the cowl. I think we have the best setup going, but I have yet to design a product that makes everyone happy.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
The issue with trying to adjust the side to side is that light gets trapped behind the cowl the more you move it to the side. Thats why we went to the mounts that only allow for up/down adjustment (the same thing as the Honda and the Show Chrome design).
You have to adjust your lights, :D :D I just eyeballed them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lewis,

Since they are your lights I figured you knew best so I left the alone side to side. Did adjust them up a bit though.

I guess that I was expecting more of a long range, narrow beam light to augment my high beams rather than the wider, more diffuse beam that these lights provide.

I'm not complaining because the lights are well made, easy to install and do light up the road close to the bike and to the sides which is great for turning.

Thanks,
Jeff in sunny Naples, FL loading up to ride to chilly PA and NJ

·
Registered
234 Posts
Easy way to adjust the vertical....

I snugged both bolts on the side of the light mount.....so.....if I need to make a small adjustment up or down...I just dismount...and use my finger to gently but firmly push them up or down...they are a tight friction fit which will keep them well adjusted for a long time.

Then if they get off a little...just go over and move them slightly to suit you....simple..and bets the heck out of getting the cowling off and using a wrench every time you want to make an adjust ment..this takes about 10 seconds for the whole process and is working out great on mine...

I have the EC Platinum Series....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts