GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a night ride. When I rode with the light aimed all the way down and the high beam on, the illumination of the road ahead was great and no one flashed me. When I used the low beam only, I felt like I had been handed a flashlight with weak batteries. After re-aiming the light to mid way the low beam was still dim, and I got flashed a couple of times with the high beam on.
Soo... I guess the what I'm asking is, what you other guys are doing with your aiming. I am not interested in adding more lights. The suspension is set at 10.
During the day I'm riding with the high beam aimed low.
I am a Newbie, educate me!

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I keep my lows set as far out as I can without blinding oncoming traffic. The high beams will burn their eyeballs out, but that's what I want. That's why you don't use high beams when you have oncoming traffic.

Good Luck........

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been messing with that too as far as HI Beam setting with aim turned down. I got the same findings of yours - it's great. I start with it set to full low, then ease it up paying attention to the "glare" line horizon. Everyone should try it!

·
Registered
638 Posts
For some reason the bikes come from the factory with the left low beam aimed higher that the right low beam. If anything it should be the other way around. If you lower the left beam so it is even with the right you'll stop getting flashed by oncoming drivers.
To do so, with the bike on the centerstand, lay on your back on the floor under the left side looking up at the underside of the fairing beneath and a bit to the rear of the the headlight (use a flashlight). You'll see a light gray colored plastec screw head pointing down. This is the left low beam vertical adjuster. Turn it until the two beams are even (or set as you desire).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mine were adjusted cockeyed too. Was a really easy fix. Now they are even, and much better.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Red said:
I keep my lows set as far out as I can without blinding oncoming traffic. The high beams will burn their eyeballs out, but that's what I want. That's why you don't use high beams when you have oncoming traffic.

Good Luck........
I agree. I always dim for oncoming traffic. It's the law but it's just common courtesy anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts