GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yes Sir, I have been wearing the Armoured Air Vest for a year now. I have been pleased with this vest, and no I have not tested it in an accident scenario........lol.

http://www.armoredairjackets.com/index.php

·
Registered
267 Posts
Compared with regular air bags, the inflation time is dreadfully slow at 0.25 secs. Using a gas cylinder may allow inflation atlow speed or there is some "flight time", a regular airbag uses rocket fuel type propellant for millisecond inflation. At 60 mph, your body will travel 25-30 feet in that quarter of a second waiting for it to inflate. The $1000 extra for a level 4 was a good choice for me. Hopefully wasted money.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
They sound good until you study them, look at highway speeds and how far you will travel during a sudden stop such as impact with another vehicle. No way will they inflate during the actual crash. The crash will have done its damage, but if you get thrown in the crash it may inflate before you hit the first time, most likely would.

So it is a system for when you get thrown off a motorcycle, but would not help at all in an actual crash.

Shortening the lanyard a bit might help on the big Wing. With the standard lanyard length you will slide forward and kiss the shield before it does deploy.

Like all things it is a tool for a particular situation, not for crash protection but for protection if you get thrown. Or fall off sliding in a curve.

I have one hanging in the closet, have played with it several times. Did shorten the lanyard on it so if you do scoot forward it might inflate.

Problem is at only 50 mph with a one half second response from pull to inflation, you have already hit, kissed the shield and you are looking at the sky as you fly over the vehicle........but time you hit it should be deployed.

I wish I had an airbag on my Wing.......but not going to go buy a new one to get it, still wish I had one, because that actually works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts