GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to move from an 01 to an 07 and wonder what the pluses and minuses are for the airbag. I know that they will help you in a frontal crash under 40 MPH is a plus, On the minus side you lose the righd glove box and the radio controls are moved to the left side fairing not to mention the $1200 more in price.
Thanks for any input.
James

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Like ABS, the bag will cause a controversy for the first years after introduction. It will eventually become more and more accepted, and perhaps even standard equipment on large touring bikes in the future.

Are the tradeoffs of a potential safety factor worth the lack of some different ergonomics (sp?). If I were to buy a new wing (not in the market yet) I would probably go for the bag. I looked long and hard to find the ABS bike I wanted, just because I felt the ABS made sense. I think the Bag also makes good sense including the changes in instruments.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
If it saves lives....it is worth it. How much is your life worth?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I say get it. Anything you can do to put the odds in your favor are worth it. Some people think that Aerostich Roadcrafters are too expensive. I bet skin grafts are more expensive. :)

G

·
Smart move.

If some dumb-ass cage driver pulls out in front of you and you T-Bone him (her) , the bag could well save your bod from serious damage...or maybe even save your life.

I hope you never have to find out.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's a no brainer!

In a serious head on impact....the first 15 minutes in any ER room in the country will cost you thousands of dollars in medical care...so what's a 1300.00 option for an airbag if it keeps road rash off your skin, or saves you from leaving the Goldwing and going thru someone's elses windshield?

Insurance will pay the bike off....or repack the airbag....

Why do most cops now wear bullet proof vests....because it saves lives every day!

End of statement.....!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have an airbag, nor would I buy a new bike that didn't have one. It's only a $1300 expense until you need it, then it's a blessing. You'd probably get much of that $1300 back when it's time to trade the bike in later, anyway.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I waited months to get one with the bag. I was ready to buy, but they were not available. Once they hit the showroom I bought mine within a few weeks...after I found someone who would come off of MSRP. Dealers in the DFW area were asking MSRP. I went to south Texas, saved $3,300 and rode it home.

Like others have said, I hope I never use it. It won't help in a side or rear impact, but I look at it as some slight insurance in a motorcycle unfriendly world.

·
Vendor
18,595 Posts
Here are my thoughts .... I've waited 10 mths for the bag to get released and was eventually disappointed when I actually saw a new bike with one that was not depolyed. I don't like how the gas tank looks with all it's doors that open for air-bag deployment. Also, I'm disappointed to see that the right-hand compartment was lost to the bag getting added. I like the idea of it being safer, and don't mind that the audio controls got moved. For now, I've put off buying my next Wing till Jan '07 and am sure mind new one will not have an air-bag.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm waiting to see the after effects (did/did not make a difference) of anyone involved in a crash with an air-bag equipped bike before I pass judgement...
I'm convinced about ABS (although the package you have to purchase to get it sucks), but I believe the jury is still out on the Airbag.

Anyone know if you get an additional insurance discount on a ABS or Airbag equipped bike?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Rob(in S.C.) said:
Anyone know if you get an additional insurance discount on a ABS or Airbag equipped bike?
That's a good question! I'm calling Dairyland tomorrow and asking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts