GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a fatal accident to a fellow goldwing rider I have been giving thought trading my 05 in on an 07 with the air bag .

I have seen video and it looks like it would save your life under the right conditions . One thing really worries me though , I always ride two up and in a head on crash my wife would likely slam ino me doing serious injury to both of us !I guess if the air bag keeps us from flying off the bike it would benift both of us .

The fatal accident was caused by a car wondering over the line hitting the goldwing head on at hwy speed . The 47 year old rider was pronounced
dead at the seen .

May he be in the hands of our Lord now .

One other thing was going through my mind was did he know how to counter steer ? or did he even see the car in time ?
If you don't know how to preform this maneuver you should learn ! it could save your live !

·
Registered
601 Posts
I posted a while back about this same thing..
didn't get the answer I was looking for, but thats because the tests with two have not been done by Honda yet, and may never be, as they want to just show how they can make it safer.
2 up IMO, the driver is going to get hurt, not by metal, but by the passenger.. so probably won't be as bad as taking a bite of the roof of a cage.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:55 am Post subject: Airbag ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Airbag, the one in front, not the one riding in the passenger seat.

I watched the video of the crash test with and without the airbag, #1 I was impressed at the damage the Goldwing done to the car...
anyway ..
It looks as if in that situation, it could save a life.

My question is, where does the passenger go during this type of crash ?

My guess is straight into the back of the driver.

Would the airbag, at that point, fail ? (with 2x the pressure on it )

They should do a crash test with two people on the bike and see what happens.

My next Goldwing will definately have the Airbag. and it too will be Yellow ... I just don't want to have to wait for the 2010 models..

Come on Honda .. some of us Need Yellow...
The response.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good question but one that needs to be addressed.
Maybe Honda feels most people ride alone, or only crash alone.....

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If you are thinking about getting it because something might happen. You may as well sell the 05 and buy a car with additional air bags. GET off the bike if it scares you or you will convince yourself of the fact and your wish will come true.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Wasn't that video of a crash at 45mph? I'm not sure anything would save you in a head on crash at highway speed.

I've been thinking of buying a new wing with the airbag too. Mainly just because I want a new bike and I figure if you're gonna spend that kind of money on a bike you just as well spend an extra few $$ and get all the safety features you can. ABS and the airbag.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you are thinking about getting it because something might happen. You may as well sell the 05 and buy a car with additional air bags. GET off the bike if it scares you or you will convince yourself of the fact and your wish will come true.
Amen!

The true 'safety' device is between your ears.

Think about it: All these so called safety devices, and we still kill one person every 11 seconds on the highway.

Have you seen the air bag model? All the radio controls are moved on the left side of the fairing, so if you choose to operate while driving, your eyes will be off the road. Of course, the air bag will deploy in the ensuing collision.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well I totally disgaree with Hokie, I got the 06 w/airbag just in case it does happen. No difference in why people wear helmets, in case it does happen. I think its a very good thing and honestly think you will see more of them in the near future. As most know I was involved in an accident 3 yrs ago and I lost my wife so the decision is not a tough one for me. I think if I would have had the airbag it would have kept my wife from being thrown over the car we hit, sure she would have probably hit me and maybe I would have more severe injuries, but I would have no problem with that if it would have meant that she would have lived. Why wouldn't a person want it, besides maybe the cost. The bike handles the same and I actually like the controls over on the side panel. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jerry

·
Registered
887 Posts
it doesn't bother me that the radio controls are moved over to the left side of the fairing. The controls you use the most are still on the left handlebar just like they've always been so I'm not sure what you mean. You can't look at the road look at the controls on top of the shelter either so it's no different.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I disagree with Hokie entirely. The air bag will in fact decrease the injuries you would receive in certain types of accidents. I plan to get one as well.

I love to ride and I will take ANY extra safety measure I can get that would increase my chances of having a non-fatal versus a fatal accident.

And I also agree that left side or center you shouldn't be palying with the radio controls while in motion except on the left handlebar anyway.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You know none of us will see just how the air bag will work until a crash. Just pray its no one here or anyones friends. By alrights it has to save a life and honda knows that. The front of my wife smashing my back would feel alot better than my head thru a cage while my legs are still attatched to the wing. Ride today, I am.... :capwin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
air bag

I don't think Honda would put the air bag on the bike if it did not make the bike safer. It is not like putting bigger speakers on the the bike or adding a new piece of of chrome. The addition of the air bag does not do anything for the bike but make it safer. If safety is your number one concern you should sell your old bike and buy one with an air bag. I always felt if safety was your main concern riding a motorcycle you probably need to find another sport.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I don't think the air bag can possibly be considered a cure all but it sure can't hurt.

The passenger will probably hit you in the back anyway but then you should have a helmet on and if you have good riding gear back protectors will help as well.

It would seem to me the idea is to lessen the severity as I doubt we can eliminate the unforeseen.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Unfortunately we won't know for sure till data (crashed GW's) start to come in whether it's a good thing or not.

Tests are one thing, real world is quite another.

Till then it's up to individual preferences. For me, I plan to wait a good long time, plus I don't like the moving of the audio controls so low and to the side.

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
My 05 silver is dirty and I can get a silver 07 and the wife won't know--hummmmm

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Airbag is like ABS. Mocked by many now, eventually will be standard equipment. Just because riding poses risk, does not mean attempts to lessen risks are foolish. If I were looking for a new Wing (hopefully not for many years) I would add airbag to the ABS. JMHO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts