GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a certified wannabe and am sorta shopping for an 06/07 GL1800.
Q1:Are any of you aware of any deployment of the airbag in any accidents?
Q2:Did they work to the extent that they helped the driver?

I am trying to figure out if it is worth the additional expense for the air bag option or is it a great idea that hasn't been all that usefull in the real world.

Thanks,

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
IHMO .. if an air bag saves your life... surely its worth it..
now.. IMHO an air bag will only save your butt in a straight on frontal
crash.. I don't think it will help you one bit .. if you go down in a slide..
or get hit from the side or a rear hit..

you make the decision if its worth the extra dollars..

cosmic

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I think it is a peace of mind issue. If you feel safer with a air bag then it is something you should really think about getting. Remember, even with a airbag you still have to watch out for every fool driving cages.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I would not waste my money. And I do wear a helmet and protective clothing when on a two-wheeler; and always a helmet on the trike.

·
Registered
781 Posts
As another person who has been in a T-bone accident and have seen several others, seems that is the most common accident anymore, I think it is very well worth it, thats why I traded my 04 off for an 06 with the airbag. The bike itself is the same, plus you get the ABS brakes. The radio controls are on the side panel but that was no big issue for me, infact I like them over there better anyway.

Jerry

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I want to say up front that I do not have an air bag.

However if I were to get a new bike I can't see not getting one and of course hope it never deploys. But in that split second before a T bone type accident I would not want the flashback of talking to my salesman and thinking how I said it is not worth the extra bucks.

We can all come up with the ways it would not help but the question I have always thought about is can it really hurt?

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
IHMO .. if an air bag saves your life... surely its worth it..
now.. IMHO an air bag will only save your butt in a straight on frontal
crash.. I don't think it will help you one bit .. if you go down in a slide..
or get hit from the side or a rear hit..

you make the decision if its worth the extra dollars..

cosmic
In the perfect world and YOU are doing everything right( ie. not over zealous in twisties, seeing how fast you can go, not paying attention, drunk!) I think data will dictate that alot of non alcohol related motorcycle accidents are caused by people pulling out in front of motorcycles in an intersection, either by a left turn in front or a side street pullout. In those cases it would /could be a lifesaver and/or at least pay for itself.... I am buying one and hope it NEVER goes off... but if it does the pillowey, nestlying, babes in arms effect I am so hoping for will enable me to post numerousely more inane posts here to delight as well as enlighten all of you for years to come!!!

(I know some words I used in this post do not exsist)

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the technology is there take it.

I am on a 2006 Nav Abs bike now and the next one (And there will be a next one) will have every available option upto and includung Airbags or any other safety related option available at that time..

For now and since I own way too many bikes, I am looking at the vests and jackets that inflate when you detach from the bike. Like hitair.com and some other company.

From a Retired Police Officer who has investigated a multitude of personal injury crashes. IMHO

And I do wear complete head to toe and glove safety gear when riding regardless of the weather, hot or cold.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
If the option is there, I'd take it.. As Matt said, most critical accidents are t-bones into left turners.. If you had a look at the video, you'd be sold!! Keeps you on the bike and absorbs that impact energy!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think so, in fact, just bought one today.. I feel the extra cost is justified for that "one" that could happen. Heck, you'll spend it on accessories down the road. I know it won't save my butt in all accidents, and I had a T bone @ 35mph. Wish I had it then! I just feel this is a good design that will work, and again, if conditions are right.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
As a owner of an 06 w/airbag, I think it's more than worth it, if I ever need it. If I never need it, then it wan't worth the extra. Many motorcycle owners will spend sometime several thousand dollars on chrome, LED's and other accessories, that have nothing to do with safety, & don't think much about it. At least if you're willing to spend the extra for an airbag, you're spending money, that might someday save your life. It has to be each person's choice. Good luck, with whatever you decide. :D

Kelly Blue Book has the 06 model as,

Without ABS
$15,680.00

With ABS
$18,135.00

Both prices are retail, & price Includes: w/Premium Audio, Heated Seats/Grips & GPS. Airbag, is not mentioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am doing my homework now for my next bike.

It's a toss-up (for me) between the Wing and an Electra Glide, because I have ZERO seat time on either. No bashing, please.

In looking at new Wings I would love to have ABS, and maybe even the airbag (maybe :? ). But I don't want everything else that you have to get to go along with it (Nav & Comfort).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
There are some people today that would rather buy a cage without bags but I think most people accept the fact that they are worth the cost. If there's only a 1% chance that the bag on my wing will deploy and protect me, I'll take it! Remember the age old expression... there are two types of riders, those that have been 'down' and those that will go down. Well I've been down and if I can eliminate the pain and extensive recovery, or worse, I'll take the new technology.

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
foolish not to get airbag, plenty of fools around i guess

so far i havn't heard of the airbag doing anyone any good but i still think its a very good idea, time will tell

·
Registered
589 Posts
Jim since you are a BMW rider now let me say this. I came from a BMW to my 06 GL1800. One of my BMW bikes was the same model you have listed. The main reason I jumped ship was the on going high cost of maintaining the BMW including the ABS brake system on the BMW which I had no choice. I don't want the airbag because of this. I feel like both cars and motorcycles are getting far to complex. Looks like at best a can of worms to me coupled with added cost at the time you purchase it and during the time you own the machine. I bought my GL without ABS for the same reason. One of the deciding factors the day I came to a GL where I had a choice of Y/N to ABS was a friend who had just spent $2100.00 on an ABS pump on a out of warr BMW. Each his own, you asked so here is my 2 cents on it and why.

·
Registered
318 Posts
About 8 years ago I T-Boned a guy that pulled out in front of me. The only major accident I've had in over 30 years of riding. I went through the bike's windshield, over his hood and landed about 10 feet on the other side of his vehicle. I landed on the left side of my head and left shoulder. My helmet saved my left ear (my head scraped the pavement), my leather jacket saved me a lot of skin on my left arm and shoulder. I had an 3/4 helmet on and cut my chin on the plexiglass as I passed through the bike's windshield. I also got a gash in my thigh from the plexiglass. I lost two weeks of work, spent 3 weeks in a sling for my arm and limped around for about a month.
After seeing the crash test of the airbag I feel none of the above injuries would have happened had I had an airbag.
I am getting an '07 with airbag this spring. Well worth the extra bucks to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all for the info.
When I get one it will have air bags. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Pass.

Note that the radio controls are now on the lower part of the left fairing, so to operate them while riding requires you to take your eyes off the road. Hope you don't have long legs & bump them!

I still maintain that keeping your skills up, having a mental strategy to include space and time to avoid a crash is a better plan. There is no safety device that prevents a crash, only things that may make it less painful. If you really want protection, drive a tank.

But in the end, your $$$ & your choice.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
The way I look at it is this: Will I be thinking it would have been worth it for the short seconds I'm flying through the air before I land? At that time it's too late. If I were to buy a new Wing it would definitely have the air bag.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts