GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been looking at this forum for a couple of weeks now because I am considering buying a Wing again. I've had 2 Wings over the years (82 Interstate and an 85 Aspencade) way back when they were new. I have had several other bikes since then but am now looking at Wings again.

My question involves the Air Bag. In Canada I have the choice (starting 2007) to buy an air bag or not. I have mixed feelings as in most cases I think it is best to be thrown clear of the bike. The only accident I had (knock on wood) was in 1970 when I T-Boned the side of a car and was thrown over the car with only minor injury. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the air bag.

Thanks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
After reading and watching multiple test videos of the air bag deployment vs. no air bag ( test dummies of course), I made my decision and waited months for them to become available. The selling point for me was the instances where the dummy did not clear the car as you described, but did a face plant into the roof of the cage. I was impressed enough to opt to get one.

I realize some on this forum take exception to the fact that it then forces you to also opt for all other options too, but I think that is a personal decision.

On the one opportunity I have had to meet the side of a cage that made a left turn in front of me, I was fortunate enough to be able to lay the bike down and leave it. The bike hit the truck but I did not. I don't want to take a chance on a true t-bone as you describe.

You may want to watch the test dummy videos. There are many. Take a look at http://www.sceneoftheaccident.org/ -> Training Materials -> Goldwing Airbag

Good luck, listen to other opinions, but make your own decision.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Many fatal accidents, even low speed accidents, are the result of the motorcycle striking an object head-on.

If you look at the air bag demo, it looks like, at least in theory, that it would slow down or prevent the rider from projecting forward into what ever stopped the bike suddenly. Being thrown over a car at highway speeds, is not my idea of an acceptable substitute.

All things considered, the air bag might keep the rider from serious injury or death. I have known several riders that an air bag would have saved.

If that is appealing to you and you can afford the cost of the air bag equipped bike, then go for it.

I have also heard that chicks dig em.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts