GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The center rear screw on my air filter was stripped. The inside of air box stayed clean so lid was still sealing. Bought a replacement air box just incase. Was changeing rear shock so since the gas tank was out I tried to replace air box. The 4 screws holding the box to the injectors were very tight. I got them out and tried to install new box and couldn't get holes in box to line up with holes in injectores. The uppper front left of air box is contacting 1 inch horizontal frame tube. The old box didn't line up well either I expect they tweaked the box a little and tightened the screws tight to make sure 0 ring seated. I want to cut a hole in the box to make it clear the frame. What should I patch the hole with that will hold and not effect oxygen sensor?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Might want to investigate why that frame member is in the way. Cracked or broken frame? Bike in a crash of some sort? You shouldn't have to resort to hacken and glueing stuff to get an air box to fit. Something isn't right. I wouldn't touch the air box.

·
Vendor
22,392 Posts
Might want to investigate why that frame member is in the way. Cracked or broken frame? Bike in a crash of some sort? You shouldn't have to resort to hacken and glueing stuff to get an air box to fit. Something isn't right. I wouldn't touch the air box.
I agree. Something is afowl, and you need to find out why.

Throttle bodies not on correct, or crooked?
Engine not straight in frame?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike has tipped over twice. I bought it new. I checked the frame and saw no cracks. The airbox screws are in a very good position to put a lot of weight on the screw driver (I weigh 210). I had a very long phillipshead in good shape twisted all I would dare,didn't want to round out screw heads. I had to resort to a hammer driver to loosen bolts. This indicates someone on the assembly line knew there was a problem and tweaked the box and tightened it extremly tight to make sure oring seated on injectors. There not going to stop and throw the frame away for something that minor. The holes aren't that far off I just don't want to do it the way I believe the person on the assembly line did it. I just checked the frame again and there are two large verticle welds on the frame. Farther back there is the horizontal tube and you can see the left side is further back than the right from the welds. I have worked mass production and some assembly lines and this is nothing unusual. Except maybe for Honda. You know Iam kidding right?

·
Vendor
22,392 Posts
This is the only photo I can find of my bike with the air box out. Maybe it will help you compare to yours, if you can ignore all the wires. See if your throttle bodies appear to be in the same position in relation to the frame.

Attachments

·
Vendor
22,392 Posts
By the way, the service manual has some good photos in it that you can reference to see how the position of your throttle bodies compare. Check both the General Section at the front of the manual, and the Fuel System sections. There also may be some useful photos in the back of the ETM.

·
Registered
17,302 Posts
I agree that you should determine why the air box does not fit. If it comes down to having to modify the airbox, then don't cut it. Heat it and use a smooth flat humk of steel or iron tolmove the softened plastic out of the way. When I installed an aftermarket cruise control system to my VTX, I had to soften and reshape the air box to clear the new throttle connecitons. The black plastic is not hard to work with, I used propane in fast "keep it moving" fashion, but a paint remover type of hear gun would be better. But, I still say find out what is screwy with yours and then decide how to tackle the problem.

prs

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used heat gun on box Iam replaceing, heated up left front corner and put it in frame and pushed it in far enough for the holes to line up and let it cool. It fits now so I put the lid on it to see how it fit and the right front corner has a gap in it. I don't know if the heat warped it but it doesn't fit like it does on my replacement box.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watched Freds airbox r&r video and when he scans the welds I can see that the horizontal tube on his is farther away from the vertical welds directly in front of the tube on the left than on the right. Personally the way the frame is built so strong in that area I don't see why they put that horizontal tube in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts