GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good dependable air compressor to carry on my wing. I've tried the Slime air compressors sold at Walmart and they don't usually last. I looked at Aerostitch Rider warehouse and they have a couple, but they are expensive.(I know, you get what you pay for).

Thought I would check to see what you guys are carrying?

Sam

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I use the Slime. Had no issues except I did not use it for so long, the air hose cracked due to being folded for so long. No problem, Slime sent me a new package at no charge and all is good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought this Aerostitch a few years ago. It's $50.00, but I think well worth the investment.

https://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-ut...ir-compressors/aerostich-mini-compressor.html

I've used it many times for normal air pressure maintenance while on the road during long trips. I also used it last year when I got a nail in the rear tire of my K1600 GTL (before I bought my new Goldwing Tour). The compressor works very well, lock-down delivery valve works perfectly, very sturdy high quality, quick inflation capability and it's compact size and carrying case makes for an easy item to pack.

I've been with two riders on separate occasions who had tire problems. Both guys thought they had a great inflation compressor in their bag. They were in for a big surprise when they tried to use them. I certainly can't speak to other brands, I'm sure many work well, but I know this Aerostich is excellent.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I've had this one for a decade, and have put it to use about six times. It's been in the bike this whole time.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4
It is noisy...but again, see the above. I paid a bit more back then than that Amazon price shows today.
I have exactly the same one. I actually have two of them and carry one each on both the Harley and the Goldwing. While I've yet (knock on wood) needed to use them myself . . . . I have made friends on several occasions when someone else needed one and didn't have one. I've had them both for many years and haven't experienced any reliability issues. I do check them before making a long distance trip though.

Reactions: Newwingrider65

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys... I've had a couple slime compressors, but haven't had very good luck with them. The last time I went to use it , it wouldn't air up my tire and I had to wait for someone to come by with a good compressor.

JW24, I have been looking at that one on Aerostitch's site. I think, based on your recommendation, I'm going with that model. Its a little more, but when you need it, its worth the extra $$.

Sam

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I rode with a fellow last year who had a nail puncture his tire in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He used a Stop & Go tire repair kit (the one with mushroom plugs) , and a motopump to inflate it. Total time on the side of the road less than 15 minutes. Here is their website. I have recently ordered one of their products. https://www.motopumps.com/

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
My old compressor was as small as I could make it. (I'd taken a slime compressor apart and repackaged it into a tupperware box.).

But now with the smaller 2018 bike I've been downsizing everything that I can and I found this portable air compressor that seems smaller, is battery powered, and is rechargable .. so I thought I'd give it a try.

I like having the rechargeable battery (or it can run off the included 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter..)
.. also included is a 12-volt wall charger.

It's only a little smaller than my old package but it's a much friendlier shape for storing on the bike.(flatter and thinner)

..compare old and new..
(...clothes pin is for size reference.)

Just for a test I deflated both the front and rear tires down to 30 PSI and then used the pump on battery alone to inflate the front to 36 and the rear to 41 (it still had juice left).

I hope I don't have to use it haha..
.. just thought I'd pass along the information in case anybody was shopping for a small compressor.

Got it from Amazon for about 45 bucks.

Oasser Portable Air Compressor
Mini Air Inflator
Hand Held Tire Pump with Digital LCD LED Light

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Agree, it's well built!

--

I have used this Mini Pro a number of times. Works well and designed well. I just got the deluxe kit.

https://www.motopumps.com/shop/mini-pro-deluxe

--
:agree: I've had mine for about three years and use it when on the road to bring pressure up as necessary. Never had any issues with it and pumps volume purty kwik. I like the digital gauge too. I also purchased the Pro-Kit.

Reactions: Newwingrider65

·
Registered
198 Posts
Buying it only hurts once, and its likely while your surfing the 'net and sitting comfortably in your easy chair at home.

Compare that to the discomfort of having a cheap, plastic pump fail to work while you're crouched beside your flat tire on a 2-lane road in BFE at 2 a.m., in the pouring rain, and hours from cell-service to call for help...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts