of the 7.5 or 10 amp fuse

..anyways, for those that have wired an air compressor directly
to the battery, what size fuse did you find did not blow with the
compressor?

thanks...Ken

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
I reckon all such small comrpessors are not created equally; but I have success with 7.5 amp fuse in my battery tender hook-up./rear aux; like you noted a 5 would not run my compressor very long.

prs

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Ken,

I'm sure you know this, but the wire has to be sized for the fuse. Putting a 10 amp fuse (that's what you probably need) in a circuit designed for 3 amps can cause melted wires or worse. I have a hot accessory plug wired and fused for 10 amps. This is not the left pocket accessory plug you can add that is plug and play which, I believe, is fused for 5 amps and typically won't handle small air compressors.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ken- I installed the pig tail to the battery with no fuse in the line. I did purchase another connector to use as a cap for this pigtail. My battery tender has a fuse (don't remember the rating) in its line. My compressor also has a fuse in it's connecting line. Therefor each device is protected seperately by its own fuse. No more blown fuses. I believe my compressor takes a 10 amp but I would have to go look.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Maybe I am wrong but I bought the one that plugs into the lighter with the fuse inline already. I then bought a female cigarette adapter and put 2 allegator clips on the leads. Since the clips are only for emergency road use (I have only had to use the clips once or twice while traveling) I just clip it direct to the battery. If I am home I just plug it into a car in the garage.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I installed a regular cigarette lighter in the left passenger junk pocket with an inline 10 amp fuse direct to the battery. I use a slime compressor and pretty much whatever else I need that's 12 volt. Very handy...

·
Registered
902 Posts
It is very important to use the correct gauge wire for the amperage. Don't use wire that is too thin for the amperage or you will burn up the wire and it could cause a fire before the fuse pops.

First, use only stranded wire on vehicles. Not solid wire like you use for house wiring. Here's minimum wire size for amperage fuses.

10 gauge wire for 30 amp fuses
12 gauge wire for 20 amp fuses
14 gauge wire for 15 amp fuses
16 gauge wire for 10 amp fuses
18 gauge wire for 5 amp fuses

Of course you can always use a heavier gauge wire for lesser amps. Example: 14 gauge for 10 amps

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
chuckM said:
I installed a regular cigarette lighter in the left passenger junk pocket with an inline 10 amp fuse direct to the battery. I use a slime compressor and pretty much whatever else I need that's 12 volt. Very handy...
That is where I put mine last year with direct wiring to the Battery, 10 gauge and 30 amp inline. I use it for the coffee pot when camping, and compressor, charging the lantern, phone, airing up the mattress, and wife's Nebulizer (breathing system), Spot light, ect, what ever I need for 12 volts and decent currant.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I use my Gerbings connection with an adapter from the Gerbings connector to a 12v accessory plug.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
KJ5IX said:
chuckM said:
That is where I put mine last year with direct wiring to the Battery, 10 gauge and 30 amp inline. I use it for the coffee pot when camping, and compressor, charging the lantern, phone, airing up the mattress, and wife's Nebulizer (breathing system), Spot light, ect, what ever I need for 12 volts and decent currant.

Hello that plug looks just like mine !!! Except I mounted it in the roof of the trunk!! That way I can charge cell ph or whatever & leave it in the trunk...chuck

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Bought a lighter plug extension and hooked it to the batttery (fused) and ran it into the trunk by drilling a small hole out of the way. An old 35mm plastic film container fits as a cap. It sure came in handy riding home with a slow leak in the rear tire and pumping it up several times.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...appreciated everyone's response; particular note of interest
was the wire gauge to amp relationship from hardway

10 gauge wire for 30 amp fuses
12 gauge wire for 20 amp fuses
14 gauge wire for 15 amp fuses
16 gauge wire for 10 amp fuses
18 gauge wire for 5 amp fuses

Of course you can always use a heavier gauge wire for lesser amps. Example: 14 gauge for 10 amps

thanks again.....Ken

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I connected an SAE plug, one of those two pronged ( one bare, one insulated) devices with about eight inches of wire to my battery. I connect my Gerbings, air pump, cig lighter adapter for whatever, battery tender and volt tester. I just went to an auto parts store, bought a handful of those plugs and made everything I own fit the same connection. When not in use it is capped up and pushed behind the plastic panel. I can get it when I need it through the small opening.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ElBando said:
I connected an SAE plug, one of those two pronged ( one bare, one insulated) devices with about eight inches of wire to my battery. I connect my Gerbings, air pump, cig lighter adapter for whatever, battery tender and volt tester. I just went to an auto parts store, bought a handful of those plugs and made everything I own fit the same connection. When not in use it is capped up and pushed behind the plastic panel. I can get it when I need it through the small opening.
...thanks for the follow-up; what gauge wire did you use?

thanks...Ken

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I used 16 gauge ( which is good for 10 amps ) My air compressor pulls 5 amps. Never hurts to put a little bigger wire on though. My battery tender is 1 to 2 amps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts