GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im undecided on air deflectors. I kind of like the idea of the uppers, mainly to redirect more air at me in warmer weather.
What made you decide to install deflectors and how have the results panned out for you? Would you do it again? Same brand or different?

·
Registered
2018 Tour DCT
166 Posts
I had the upper deflectors installed before I picked up the bike from the dealer. That was in April 2018 and the main reason I wanted them was to defect cold air away from the rider. I’m not sure you can direct air onto the rider. If they are in the “out” position they keep air off of you and in the “in” position they simply behave as it they were not installed. I would definitely buy them again because in my opinion they are certainly needed when it’s cold.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed the upper deflectors, they work amazingly well for the size. Nearly as good as the "Wind Wings" I had on the '98 I traded in. Hot or cold is fine, they block air in the cold and flow air towards you when open in the heat.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I got it that you said "uppers".

If you get them and like them, you might decide to also add lowers. Be careful of your selection. Not all lowers are compatible with the various highway pegs available, and you would likely want the same brand lower as upper.

I didn't know this when I bought Baker Builts. The Baker Builts push my legs too wide for many of the available highway pegs/boards. For now, I'll just use floorboards.

Reactions: zmilin

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it that you said "uppers".

If you get them and like them, you might decide to also add lowers. Be careful of your selection. Not all lowers are compatible with the various highway pegs available, and you would likely want the same brand lower as upper.

I didn't know this when I bought Baker Builts. The Baker Builts push my legs too wide for many of the available highway pegs/boards. For now, I'll just use floorboards.
Good to know! Thanks! I was looking at the Honda uppers because they seem to mount cleaner and have a swivel.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I just rode 7500 miles in three weeks. The uppers work at both deflecting the air away and pulling it in to your chest. The lowers direct the hot radiator air out around your legs. I will be removing the small lower tab for better leg clearance when using foot pegs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just rode 7500 miles in three weeks. The uppers work at both deflecting the air away and pulling it in to your chest. The lowers direct the hot radiator air out around your legs. I will be removing the small lower tab for better leg clearance when using foot pegs.

So keeps the heat off your legs?

I wonder if someone will make versions which are as nice as the Honda lowers - that have a pivot so that you could direct the warm air in during cold weather and out during warm weather. (Not Baker - those are ugly as ****).

I hate heat. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
73 Posts
Baker. I just installed
I just installed Baker Air Wings on my 18. They work pretty well although I don't like the looks. I still can get a little heat because they don't completely close against the radiator area to redirect the heat. My wife says they made a huge difference for her

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Good to know! Thanks! I was looking at the Honda uppers because they seem to mount cleaner and have a swivel.
The Honda mirror wings don't direct any more air onto you when fully open, it is the same air you would receive if they weren't there, when closed they make a big difference.
One complaint I have read here is the fairing lowers direct some heat onto your ankles/lower shin, I'm waiting to see if someone makes an adjustable lower that isn't butt ugly so far NOT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just rode over 150 miles on the highway in 90 weather and the upper deflector kit from show chrome/BigBike parts works amazing well at pulling air into the rider and even my pillion could feel the difference. Very happy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
One complaint I have read here is the fairing lowers direct some heat onto your ankles/lower shin, I'm waiting to see if someone makes an adjustable lower that isn't butt ugly so far NOT.
I have the Honda upper & lower wind deflectors installed. I'm not getting any heat directed on my ankles / lower shin by the lower deflectors.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Pic's?

I just rode over 150 miles on the highway in 90 weather and the upper deflector kit from show chrome/BigBike parts works amazing well at pulling air into the rider and even my pillion could feel the difference. Very happy.

@Downhill502 If you could take some pic's of your deflectors front-side-rear and the mounting points? That would be great!

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Reactions: Downhill502

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

does your passenger feel the difference as in both, more when when opened and less when closed?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts