GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to change my air filter on my '03 with 25K miles since I bought it last August. Yesterday, fellow Winger Mark (Rocketman911) was nice enough to drive 50 miles or so to change it and he done such a good job, showing and telling, I think I can do it next time.
I have read about the rat nest stories in air filter housing of motorcycles and cars but I was shocked when we took the air filter top off. PO and wife had several dogs that did grooming and apparently the rats used it to make a nest.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quite a mess. Maybe it will run better.

That Mark is a pretty good guy. Way to go Rocket.:thumbup:

Richard, the wing was running good and I was getting 42 MPG before.
Drove it afterwards and it does seem like it has more pep. The air filter was 90% cover with 1 to 3 inches of dog hair.
Are these Wings tough or what, lol?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bought the Snap-On Boroscope so I can inspect the air filter in just a few minutes. (I have used it for other inspections also to justify the cost).

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I have been wanting to change my air filter on my '03 with 25K miles since I bought it last August. Yesterday, fellow Winger Mark (Rocketman911) was nice enough to drive 50 miles or so to change it and he done such a good job, showing and telling, I think I can do it next time.
I have read about the rat nest stories in air filter housing of motorcycles and cars but I was shocked when we took the air filter top off. PO and wife had several dogs that did grooming and apparently the rats used it to make a nest.

That is one hell of a pre filter. :22yikes:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Ha Ha Ha, I thought he should have just cleaned the dog hair off and used it for another 25,000. With all that extra filtration, the actual filter should be good!

I'm glad I could be a help to you my friend!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I just changed mine last week and found nearly the same amount of pink fiberglass insulation there. Enough to fill a freezer bag. Now to figure a way to block the intake snorkels over the winter.

Pete

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I just changed mine last week and found nearly the same amount of pink fiberglass insulation there. Enough to fill a freezer bag. Now to figure a way to block the intake snorkels over the winter.

Pete
Pete,
Take the wire screen off the bottom of your old filter and tie wrap it on the front of your inlet tubes. There is actually 2 pieces of screen, one for each side!:thumbup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
"The air filter was 90% cover with 1 to 3 inches of dog hair"

Just consider all the dog fur a free "pre-filter". I doubt it was packed tight enough to restrict air flow....paul

·
Registered
791 Posts
Pete,
Take the wire screen off the bottom of your old filter and tie wrap it on the front of your inlet tubes. There is actually 2 pieces of screen, one for each side!:thumbup:
Good idea. I wish I had thought of that when I had the top shelter off. I'll try it before winter for sure.

Pete

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Aww MAN!
I pity the poor pouch THAT come from.
thecruiser

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Looking at this blockage and the bike running well, I don't think the air filter
needs to be changed EVER....:lol:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I just had an idea! Put a piece of screen on the backside on the inlet tubes and fill them with dog hair. You would never have to change the filter again, and the mice couldn't get in either!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I have never seen such a clean air box in my life!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts