GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several post on several boards about riders taking the time and effort to replace their air filter only to find it wasn't that dirty...

I give you my air filter at 25,000 miles and about 19 months of use.

YUK :!: :22yikes:

Where do you guys ride that say the air filter is still good to go at 25,000+ miles :?:

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
The question should be where did you ride to get one that dirty? :lol:

Just kidding. I still have a ways to go before I have to pull mine. Those things are designed to hold a lot of dirt...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
pshivers said:
After reading several post on several boards about riders taking the time and effort to replace their air filter only to find it wasn't that dirty...

I give you my air filter at 25,000 miles and about 19 months of use.

[See upthread for photo]
YUK :!: :22yikes:

Where do you guys ride that say the air filter is still good to go at 25,000+ miles :?:
Upper Mojave Desert. Got 25000 miles out of mine easy. Had I known what it looked like I would have left it in another 15000 miles.

Your filter doesn't look that much worse than mine. Could it be the resolution of the photo?

Had you noticed a performance hit with your bike?

Was it cured the moment you plopped in the new air filter?

It is important to ascertain the difference between impact on operation and Oscar Madison esthetics, I think.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Just changed mine at 25k and it was not that dirty. Installed a k&n will ck it about 65to 75k.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grumpy one said:
HI JACK ALERT

PSHIVERS is your avatar RUSS COLLINS
on the almighty :twisted: SORCERER :twisted:
it looks close but i cant tell for sure
My Avatar is R.C. on the "Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe", Russ Collin's thundering, three-engine, nitromethane-burning, Honda "750" (1,000cc in each motor). The "AT&SF" nearly killed R.C. when he crashed it in 1976.

The "Sorcerer" was a mere twin engine (only 2,000cc) but was a half second faster that the "AT&SF" (7.80 sec./179.5 mph vs. 7.30 sec./199.55 mph).

HI JACK ALERT has been withdrawn... :wink:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Paul - that looks about right. Here is my first filter that I changed at 24,000. I've changed mine four times now and it's due for it's fifth change this week.

All have looked similar,

DaleC

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I recently changed mine at 35000 miles and it looked much better than the one pictured. As much work as it is to get at the thing I was going to change it no matter what it looked like. Unless I notice a drop in performance or fuel economy, I think I'll go another 50000 miles before inspecting it again. I ride mostly in the northern plains.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
leftwinger said:
Had you noticed a performance hit with your bike?

Was it cured the moment you plopped in the new air filter?
Performance wise I had noticed that my gas mileage has dropped a little otherwise nothing noticable, (33-35 mpg down from averaging 35-40 mpg). I get the feeling that a performance drop from a filter getting dirty would creep up on you and not be noticeable till the change was made to a clean filter.

The bike is in the shop having some electrical lighting work done, so I won't know if the gas mileage or performance has improved any till next weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts