GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the air filter at 80K and wow did this need done long ago. This is what the air box looked like. Water and oil
. IMG_20131221_173832_446.jpg IMG_20131221_173904_413.jpg

The T fitting from the two tubes coming from the bottom of the air box. This drains into the top of the engine case.
. IMG_20131222_172337_782.jpg

I am in need of an explanation as to where all this oil and water is coming from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The oil came from the crankcase as the engine breaths. An excess amount of oil can be caused by overfilling. The water comes from moisture in the air that enters the airbox, i.e. rain and condensation. Be sure to drain the condensation tube on the left front of the engine.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The oil came from the crankcase as the engine breaths. An excess amount of oil can be caused by overfilling. The water comes from moisture in the air that enters the airbox, i.e. rain and condensation. Be sure to drain the condensation tube on the left front of the engine.
Suppose to drain the tube at each oil change

·
Vendor
16,404 Posts
The air filter not only has to breath in, but it has to easily breath out when the motor it is turned off too. If running in a damp climate, the moisture in "wet air" gets sucked in while running. When the motor is turned off, there's an increase of "wet air pressure" in the air box and it needs to immedatly vent out and escape back into the atmosphere. Basically, the air pressure in the air box needs to quickly equalize with the atmosphere. The dirt show evidance of an extreemly dirty air filter that has the ability for a motor to suck air through it going in, but the slime is evidance that once in it is somewhat trapped and can't equalize quickly when turned off. Over time that wet air condenses from engine heat and mixes with oilish gases and turns to a milkish slime.

At the very least, all 3 vent tubes from the rear case to the air box should be cleaned. Also the breather tube that ends near the left valve cover needs cleaned also.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,605 Posts
?

Changed the air filter at 80K and wow did this need done long ago. This is what the air box looked like. Water and oil
. View attachment 49420 View attachment 49421

The T fitting from the two tubes coming from the bottom of the air box. This drains into the top of the engine case.
. View attachment 49422

I am in need of an explanation as to where all this oil and water is coming from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The white goo is from condensation and oil residue mixing. This is normal on a bike that is ridden in all kinds of weather. The filter was definitely over due. The hoses are not drain hoses, they are part of the crankcase ventilation system. Make sure they are cleaned out and wipe down the oil residue in the box. If you remove the larger hose from the engine, make sure and route it back on top of the radiator hose and not under it. ?

·
IronMan
17,136 Posts
i get about 1/2 ounce out of drain tube every oil change . the one next to oil filter

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Here's my air filter at 55,000 miles.
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG Where the M&M's came from is beyond me???

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
You guy's are all too funny :love:............. "Thanks for the smile" , that appeared upon my face, while being cooped up in the house everyday.....because of this Corona bug going around.... 😭

Ronnie

·
Registered
608 Posts
Glad these dirty air filters getting replaced. I've got 26K miles on 2003 and perhap next summer I'll pull the top shelter.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some wine . . .

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Glad these dirty air filters getting replaced. I've got 26K miles on 2003 and perhap next summer I'll pull the top shelter.

OMG! this is funny----Good comeback! (y)

·
Registered
707 Posts

26,000 miles on the OEM filter? You might have your own stash of M&Ms, jtdunc. Or worse. If your 2 ram air intakes aren't screened. Mine at about 27,000 original. Always worth another look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts