GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished with changing the air filter on my 2009 Airbag GL1800 for the first time. The bike has 43k miles on it. I documented the process and posted it to my photobucket site. The illustrations pickup at the point where all of the top and inner shelters have been removed.

See my "Top Shelter Removal for Airbag Models" thread in this forum on removing the top shelters for an airbag model.

Three items of note:
  1. Make sure to read AND follow the service manual's precautions on working with the airbag system. Doing so will insure a successful and safe service.
  2. Honda uses 5 ALOC Torx bolts to secure the Airbag system to the bike. The service manual calls for all 5 of these to be replaced when removed. All 5 cost me a little over $17 from my local dealership.
  3. The airbag ECU cable is mounted to the airbag bracket with some cable stays. Access to the back of these stays is extremely limited. A pair of bent forceps works perfectly to easily remove the stays.
It takes a bit more time than the non-airbag models but the job isn't all that bad. It took me about 5 1/2 hours to change out the air filter and that is starting and ending with the top shelters removed. I work very slowly and meticulously cleaning the bike as I go. For me it is more important to do the job right than to try and do it fast.

I hope this is helpful.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/capozzir/2009 Goldwing/Air Filter Change/

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/capozzir/2009%20Goldwing/Air%20Filter%20Change/?action=view¤t=20110129_AirFilterChange_0041.jpg

·
Registered
698 Posts
Very nice. Thanks!

One point I learned back in the day: when setting the airbag assembly aside always put it on the floor and always face up. That way if some stray static discharge sets it off it will only be exciting. If you set it upside down it would lauch the housing potentially causing havoc in the work area and possibly injuring folks. Keep in mind that you are handling an explosive device.

Cheers,
Igneouss

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Great job Rob. Your photos are a tremendous help. Even though I already changed my filter on my Air bagger, I will be changing it again in around 8 thousand miles. Your pictures will help me remember all the stuff that I forgot. (Age does that to you). Again thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice. Thanks!

One point I learned back in the day: when setting the airbag assembly aside always put it on the floor and always face up. That way if some stray static discharge sets it off it will only be exciting. If you set it upside down it would lauch the housing potentially causing havoc in the work area and possibly injuring folks. Keep in mind that you are handling an explosive device.

Cheers,
Igneouss
Yes! That kind of "excitment" is something I would like to avoid. :lol: The Honda Service Manual is very explicit about how bike is to be preped and how the device is to be stored off the bike. Keeping the device upright is one of those points. Other things like keeping it away from moisture and not near high heat, not touching the plug terminals with live wire, etc. :shock:

·
Registered
698 Posts
leesburg...
Howdy neighbor!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks for a great write up and detailed pics on your service work!
Your effort is truly appreciated as it will be invaluable when I tear into my bike.
Thanks again for taking the time and effort to post it.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Rob

Thanks again, an invaluable help. I had two questions for you but one has already been addressed. I was wondering why bothering to remove the two Torx 40 screws at the bottom of the airbag straps. I thought maybe you could just sit the airbag module upside down on the seat area. As per the above posts, now I know why. :banghead: One other question though, is it necessary to remove the ECM unit on the left side? Couldn't you just move it out of the way or is there a reason why it must be removed?

Thanks again, an absolutely great aid.

Rick

:bow::bow:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have a 2007 airbagger and changed my airfilter a few times. I still use Robs fine photos - To save time I do not remove any of the modules except the ECM (located on the left side of the assembly. The rest of the modules consisting of the airbag and radio I leave on the assembly. After removing all the shelters and such I disconnect the plugs going to the modules including the FM antenna and disconnect the cruise control. I do have to remove the air ducts going to the air filter (use the steel screen from the old filter to insert into the ducts to keep out mice and other creatures). I then remove the four bolts that hold the whole assembly containing these modules to the wing. I then lift up the assembly and move it to the top right side of the bike and the filter housing can now be accessed. Make sure you have a service manual (I prefer the Honda Service DVD). Also mark all plugs and their locations. Last be very careful when you remove the two plastic flaps that are located next to the fuel lid. the airbag straps are located under these flaps. These flaps are held in place by long plastic clips and the clips can break. Be careful and take your time.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob

Thanks again, an invaluable help. I had two questions for you but one has already been addressed. I was wondering why bothering to remove the two Torx 40 screws at the bottom of the airbag straps. I thought maybe you could just sit the airbag module upside down on the seat area. As per the above posts, now I know why. :banghead: One other question though, is it necessary to remove the ECM unit on the left side? Couldn't you just move it out of the way or is there a reason why it must be removed?

Thanks again, an absolutely great aid.

Rick

:bow::bow:
My last air filter change, I did exactly what you suggested. I only removed the three smaller torx bolts and left the rear torx bolts attached. The straps provide enough slack to carefully set the airbag (upright) on top of the fuel tank.

As for the ECM, I no longer unplug it, I just remove it from the bracket and let the ECM hang down. Two less plugs to pull off. I also found that I don't need to move the CC to remove the air filter. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My last air filter change, I did exactly what you suggested. I only removed the three smaller torx bolts and left the rear torx bolts attached. The straps provide enough slack to carefully set the airbag (upright) on top of the fuel tank.

As for the ECM, I no longer unplug it, I just remove it from the bracket and let the ECM hang down. Two less plugs to pull off. I also found that I don't need to move the CC to remove the air filter. :thumbup:
Rob, we are getting better and better at doing this filter change before you know it all we will have to do is snap our fingers and it will be done.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thought I would bring it to the top for the new guys about to change their filter for the first time!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks many time over

Rob I really want to thank you for this information and also your thread on airbag model top shelter removal. I went through these last year and placed most of your pictures and the accompanying comments into word documents with the plan to do this in the future.

Being officially disabled due to numerous spinal deformities, accidents and general abuse, I often find myself unable to work on the bike or if I am able the work periods are short. (Riding follows the same pattern). So with a collection for parts from the past year (monotubes, Traxxion rear shock, air filter, misc electrical fuse and ground blocks, trailer wiring, etc) and an upcoming rally that my wife really wanted to attend, I was placed in a situation I could not handle. Too much work, too little time.

My wife, who a month ago knew what pliers, a screw driver (more than one kind?), and a hammer were, insisted on taking the bike apart so I could change the parts. The problem was if I said no, well you know how that would go, besides she'd just wait until I was asleep and attack the bike. So to compromise thinking it wouldn't go too far, I said OK and I have a set of pictures and steps to follow. Loving puzzles and putting things together if she has instructions, off she went under my watchful eye.

I am PROUD to say that not only did she take it all apart and put it back together, but she did it with only one error on an airbag line not plugged fully back in place. Slow and methodical with some of her days lasting until after midnight.

She now understands why somethings you do by feel when you can't see past your hand. She knows by sight 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" ratchets, sockets (regular 6 and 12 point, hex, torx), why ratchet wrenches are so cool, how to use a torque wrench, what bolts to not take off, what bolts to use thread locker on, and the eerie part - she got quite good at judging the size needed by looking at it.

I gave her tips, tricks, and how to use the tools that I had learned over the last 55 years or so. I could not have handed her the service manual or even told her what order to do things, it was your pictorial presentation that made it all possible. :bow:

Thanks John

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John,
That is awesome! Sounds like you have a real keeper for a wife. Congratulations to both of you on your good work and thanks for the kind note. Just remember, you two did the work! :thumbup:
Rob I really want to thank you for this information and also your thread on airbag model top shelter removal. I went through these last year and placed most of your pictures and the accompanying comments into word documents with the plan to do this in the future.

Being officially disabled due to numerous spinal deformities, accidents and general abuse, I often find myself unable to work on the bike or if I am able the work periods are short. (Riding follows the same pattern). So with a collection for parts from the past year (monotubes, Traxxion rear shock, air filter, misc electrical fuse and ground blocks, trailer wiring, etc) and an upcoming rally that my wife really wanted to attend, I was placed in a situation I could not handle. Too much work, too little time.

My wife, who a month ago knew what pliers, a screw driver (more than one kind?), and a hammer were, insisted on taking the bike apart so I could change the parts. The problem was if I said no, well you know how that would go, besides she'd just wait until I was asleep and attack the bike. So to compromise thinking it wouldn't go too far, I said OK and I have a set of pictures and steps to follow. Loving puzzles and putting things together if she has instructions, off she went under my watchful eye.

I am PROUD to say that not only did she take it all apart and put it back together, but she did it with only one error on an airbag line not plugged fully back in place. Slow and methodical with some of her days lasting until after midnight.

She now understands why somethings you do by feel when you can't see past your hand. She knows by sight 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" ratchets, sockets (regular 6 and 12 point, hex, torx), why ratchet wrenches are so cool, how to use a torque wrench, what bolts to not take off, what bolts to use thread locker on, and the eerie part - she got quite good at judging the size needed by looking at it.

I gave her tips, tricks, and how to use the tools that I had learned over the last 55 years or so. I could not have handed her the service manual or even told her what order to do things, it was your pictorial presentation that made it all possible. :bow:

Thanks John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is it exactly the same for my 2013?

Great detailed instructions. Just was wondering if there are any differences for my 2013. Also the book says 12k miles for air filter. I have put that on in 4 months. Do I really need to change it 3 times a year.Thanks in advance,Henry Fox

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There re are differences in the 2012 and up models. The top shelter is a little different but once the shelter is off the 2012 and up are pretty much the same.

as far as frequency of service, that will depend? The filter at 12k did not even looked used but at 40k it was pretty dirty. I have settled on around 20k for my filter changes. You can't go wrong with changing the filter based on Honda's recommendation though it may be excessive for the environment you ride in (it was for me).

Great detailed instructions. Just was wondering if there are any differences for my 2013. Also the book says 12k miles for air filter. I have put that on in 4 months. Do I really need to change it 3 times a year.Thanks in advance,Henry Fox

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts