GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 is approaching 16K and I'm preparing to do the air filter and spark plug replacements. This will be my first time taking off the plastic. I have Fred's videos and will get the parts ordered soon.

My questions -

1. This being my first time, realistically how long will this project take to disassemble down to the air cleaner and to reassemble everything, assuming no glitches or broken parts along the way?

2. Do I need to have some extra fasteners or parts on hand?

I am not all that skilled mechanically, but from watching the videos, there doesn't seem to be anything that is extremely complex. I plan to be careful, lay out the parts on the floor of my garage, and to label the small parts in baggies.

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Be sure to dig out your "patience"..... The worst thing you can do is get in a hurry, especially your first time. I am getting due for air filter myself, so the first question I would like to see an answer for as well.

·
Registered
18,687 Posts
For me it takes 2 hours removing the plastic going slowly looking at the video. And about the same putting the plastic back on. I take my time

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Laen is about right on the time frame! Fred’s or Chris’s (Cruiseman) videos are ‘must have’ item if you are going to tackle a job like this yourself! But you will have saved yourself at least $400 at the Stealership . . . :yes:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just make sure when you put the parts down on the garage floor, they are WELL OUT OF THE WAY of your walking path. You do NOT want to accidentally step on a piece of expensive plastic.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've got the 16k service to do, but I'm going to go ahead and include the oil and filter changes at the same time (I'm actually over 18k miles, so...). I have already had the broken tab experience, but fortunately nothing that important. I have made myself the promise to not drink beers this time to achieve that clarity of mind needed for this type work. Taking your time and being organized and meticulous are necessary. Of course, I rarely follow my own advice, so there's that.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
For a first timer with novice mechanical skill, I believe at a steady pace one would be in and out within the 5 hour range. This includes wiping the road dust and grime away, making a few sketches of where the wiring and sugh route, and taking a few phone pics to verify same. I strongly suggest that you set up a few card tables or one of those long folding leg tables upon which you WILL organzie your parts from first removed to last removed and with Dixie Cups or such with the related hardware stored with such parts. Use JIS screw drivers, have forceps, have magnetic wand and have confidence. It is not such a hard job, just a new adventure; organization is key. Try not to be interrupted. Use shop towels or painter's tape to protect painted surfaces from scratches. All kidding aside; save the adult beverages for when the job is done,

prs

·
Registered
82 Posts
Use your cell phone to take lots of pictures and or videos.

You never know when you need to go back and determine which way a wire went or something seems out of place upon reassembly.

As has been stated, slow and steady wins the race.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
After installing the new air cleaner, it is possible to tear it while installing the cover back onto it. the front captured screws in the cover hang down and can rip the pleated filter media if you are not very careful while putting it back on. I found that putting a little masking tape around the head of those screws will hold them where they can't do any damage and is easily removed by just pulling it free after the cover is in place but before tightening them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I changed mine at about 15000 miles. Next time I will wait till 20,000 miles. Was not dirty enough to justify changing it that soon. As far as the spark plugs go - make sure you get them before tearing things apart. The dealer here was able to get mine in a few days however some guys have had trouble finding them....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the responses. Sounds as though the beer will have to wait until I put it all back together.

I'll report back after I finish. Maybe over the thanksgiving weekend.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am at close to 23K and still holding on changing the air filter. The reason is that my gas mileage is avg over 50 MPG. I took a ride the other day for 130 miles or so and the readout when I arrived home was at 55.5 MPG, I know the calculated mileage can be a bit fat but at fillup it was 53.6 MPG. My thoughts are the same with this bike as with my ST1300 previously, that 16K is overkill. I know I won't go to the 40K I did on the ST1300 but this bikes gas mileage is still excellent. If the filter was not breathing properly the gas mileage would suffer. So right now I am looking at 30K intervals unless the gas mileage changes.

Did anyone here with over 16K on the filter notice a drop in gas mileage? At what mileage were you at if you noticed a drop in mileage?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I had no drop in gas mileage. This is what mine looked like at 16,051 miles. Yes, I will change mine again at 32,000 miles. View attachment 367316

Would be interesting to do an airflow test to see how much restriction there actually is compared to new filter.
I'd probably do the same as you and replace at OEM intervals but, I wonder if just because it's dark does it restrict flow enough to matter?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too wish we knew when airflow is actually impeded - a drop in MPG would be a good proxy, I'd think. Lots of filters get changed prematurely - filters that impede flow are much dirtier than those shown in posted photos on this site. It feels good to start with new filters, but is it necessary?

Donaldson makes filters for every kind of vehicle and would benefit from preaching the "change often" sermon. They don't. For those interested:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I’m hoping the 16-20k will be this winter for me while the temps are too cool for me to ride. One weekend to remove the plastics and the next weekend to reassemble. I would suggest that if your doing this process to go ahead and buy up any accessories you wanna install and do it all at once to simplify everything.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
I too wish we knew when airflow is actually impeded - a drop in MPG would be a good proxy, I'd think. Lots of filters get changed prematurely - filters that impede flow are much dirtier than those shown in posted photos on this site. It feels good to start with new filters, but is it necessary?

Donaldson makes filters for every kind of vehicle and would benefit from preaching the "change often" sermon. They don't. For those interested:

Guys, consider that this is an EFI engine. If air flow is restricted or we go to higher elevation, the fuel milage will almost certainly increase given similar throttle demands. Less air will cause engine to restrict fuel to maintain the target air:fuel.

But, I agree that the above pictured filters are probably passing air well as new ones. Road conditions make a huge difference and around here there is sparse traffic and fairly clean roads.

prs

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
I changed mine at about 15000 miles. Next time I will wait till 20,000 miles. Was not dirty enough to justify changing it that soon. As far as the spark plugs go - make sure you get them before tearing things apart. The dealer here was able to get mine in a few days however some guys have had trouble finding them....
Doug; this is a VERY common standard grade sparkplug. The last number, "9" IIRC is the gap of .9mm and that is the rare bird, maybe Honda exclusive, But the same plugs with different pre-gaps are easily found and re-gapping to .9mm is a piece of cake. Any auto store, small engine supply, or marine supply should have them; including ammazon if you can avoid counterfeit plugs.

prs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts