GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my air filter for the first time. With over 114K on GL1800's I figured I should start doing my own maintenance.

I had to take the shelter off to install some HID's and figured this was a good time.

Anywho, what is the trick to keeping that gasket in place? I finally put some silecone in the groove. and then pushed the gasket in place. But that was a real pain.

·
Registered
287 Posts
AL2000,

What does it say on page 132 of your owners manual re change of Air Cleaner/Filter. :?:

:beer2: :rw1: :chef3:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Al, it says to change the rubber gasket each time you put in a new filter. I just stuffed it into the groves and crossed my fingers. Worked out this time with no trouble. :clap2:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked for a new gasket in the filter package and none was there. So I went ahead and used the old one. But it was a bitch getting it to stay in place. I finally just ran a little dab of silecone in the grove to hold it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just checked my parts CD and it says you can only get the gaskets if you purchase an air cleaner cover or an air cleaner housing. It does not list a seperate part number for the gaskets by themselves. Maybe the honda dealers can get them seperate for a small fee.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It sounds like there is a discrepancy between the service manual and the parts manual. One calls for them to be changed but the other doesn't list them as a separate item. On my '90 GL1500 that I had 10 years and accumulated 120k miles, I never changed the air cleaner gaskets and they worked in a similar fashion with no problem. So I'm not going to bother with trying to get new gaskets to change the ones on the GL1800 either, as I don't think it's necessary.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Air Cleaner Gasket

The only time I've done this myself (last year at about 28K) the gasket came with the new Honda Air Cleaner. I had to remove the one stuck in the groove on the bike in order to fit the new one in there in place of it. I never read the directions, but it seemed pretty obvious to me. LOL.

·
Registered
67 Posts
air filter

Well BIG RED my page 132 only has engine oil information

·
Registered
2,628 Posts

Here's my page 132.

Now, if you're talking about the repair manual, it says on page 5 of section 3, to install a new air cleaner element and the cover with new seal rubbers.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big Red, thanks for your concern. However, I think most of us come here for assistance, not to play guessing games. If I had a clue about what was on page 132 I might not have needed a second clue as to what was on page 131.

Is it really so difficult to respond with helpful information?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've changed my air cleaner twice and on another bike once. None of the new filters came with replacement gaskets. Neither HDL parts fiche nor my own list a part number for the gasket. I did notice that mine was getting a little brittle. Maybe Hal can find some and list them. I'll buy a couple.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, since you were trying to be smart, you must have misunderstood my original post. I said I have 114K miles on GL1800's not 114K miles on an oil filter. If you go to my web site http://web.bsu.edu/00amleduc/wing/cost.htm I think you will discover that I have no problem in understanding the maintenance schedule.

I don't post much here anymore in part because of stuff like this. It used to be if you needed help, you posted your problem and folks came to your aid. We learned from each other.

Stuff like this is a waste of time.

Even with your misunderstanding, it would have been a lot easier to have said, you should change the air filter every 12K and I would have recognized that you misunderstood my original post immediately.

I hope when you need help, folks respond directly to your issue as opposed to playing games.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Big Red must be off in the Ozone or else he is a Honda Plant trying to Blame the Customer First.

Page 131 & 132 in the US Owners Manual for '01-'03 are about changing the Oil Filter only, NOT the Air Filter.
The Air Cleaner isn't covered in the Owners Manual Index but it does start on 3-5 in the Service Manual.

AIR CLEANER ELEMENT
Replace the air cleaner element in accordance with
the maintenance schedule or any time it is excessively
dirty or damaged.
Install a new air cleaner element and the cover with
new seal rubbers.
Install the removed parts in the reverse order of
removal.

Over in the Parts Catalog section it lists

3 COVER, AIR CLEANER.............................. 1 1A 2 2A 3 3A -------- -------- 1 17221-MCA-003 6536973

4 HOUSING, AIR CLEANER.......................... 1 1A 2 2A 3 3A -------- -------- 1 17231-MCA-003 6536981

for the Cover with gasket and Housing with gasket.
No Gasket sets are listed other than with the housing pieces.

It seems that Honda has struck again with a Proof Reading error or SNAFU. You just can't get the Gaskets without putting up big bucks.

When I changed my bike back to the OEM filter from K&N I had to re-install the gaskets that had been removed for the K&N. They went in without any problem and seemed to swell up with the time they were out of the bike, a couple of years. perhaps there is some way to gently warm them up for to just above room temp to help them expand back to their origional state. Other than that a little Silicone Gasket Seal would most likely be the best bet to keep them in place.

JErry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts