GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A big thanks to all who have previously posted their experiences for changing the air filter :clap2: (and no thanks to the B_$tard that designed where its located :banghead: ). I had about 25,000 miles on the filter and it was dirty and starting to deteriorate.
I am by no means a mechanic, but did manage to change it out in about two hours. I never would have attempted this on my own, with out the previous input I read on this board.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
GP Young said:
and no thanks to the B_$tard that designed where its located
Where would you have put it? It's right on top of the valve body where most air filters are located on most vehicles. IMO, that's where it should be. You do have to remove stuff to get to it, but you only have to do it every 20-30k miles. It gets easier the more you do it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A good rider can actually ride between the bugs so as not to waste valuable riding time washing his bike.
A rider who has experienced "the changing of the filter" has incentive to improve his riding skills to the point of being able to avoid the dust motes that clog the infamous filter.
I suggest you go ride some more until you have mastered this ability.
Of course, you will have to remove the air filter form time to time to measure your improvement level, but don't give up, perfection takes a lot of practice. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
No flame meant, but...

1. If 20,000 miles is too often, get a K&N and go 50,000 miles between cleanings.

2. I can't see that changing the filter on an 1800 is much harder than changing one on a 1500.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Dream Catcher said:
A rider who has experienced "the changing of the filter" has incentive to improve his riding skills to the point of being able to avoid the dust motes that clog the infamous filter.
DC
This is not as funny as it sounds.....I actually pull in the clutch and let the engine idle as I blast throught dust clouds on the highway. An air filter designer told me this was a good way to "reduce the loading" on the air filter.

I'll do just about anything to avoid extra work! :wink:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
k7lvo said:
get a K&N and go 50,000 miles between cleanings.
Now that is something that will surely give a person the WILLIES..... :roll: :roll: :roll: (no way to describe what it will give to the GL1800 engine. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DaleC

·
Registered
95 Posts
GP Young, I agree with you, the posts on this site are second to none when it comes to wrenching on your own bike. Just from reading the posts on this site I've replaced my leaking fork seals, disabled my anti-dive unit and installed a CB on my 01 ABS.

My hat is off to all of you that post your wrenching experiences (good and bad) and make it a little easier for some of us.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
no need to change the filter

once a month use your acetylene torch to fill the exhaust pipes with gas

then cap the pipes and light the gas

the resulting explosion will create enough pressure to back flush the air filter

my top shelter has a little bulge from doing this but it's hardly noticeable
and, all in all,
much preferable to changing the air filter once a year.

:roll:
Dennis

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
Wanderer said:
Where would you have put it? It's right on top of the valve body where most air filters are located on most vehicles. IMO, that's where it should be. You do have to remove stuff to get to it, but you only have to do it every 20-30k miles. It gets easier the more you do it.
actually, they could have located somewhere different. Made it more like a CAI instead of directly on top of the heat. It's just that this place was the norm, so they put it there. They didn't need to put thought into it then.

DaleC said:
k7lvo said:
get a K&N and go 50,000 miles between cleanings.
Now that is something that will surely give a person the WILLIES..... :roll: :roll: :roll: (no way to describe what it will give to the GL1800 engine. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DaleC
I agree!! No matter what filter I put on there, I would not feel comfortable trusting K&N (or any manufacturer) with my engine like that. I would rather spend the hour changing my filter every 12k or whatever. It's really not that hard once you have done it the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts