GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie to writing to the forum although I have been reading it for some time. I have a 2006 gl1800 which I purchased new and now have 19,000 miles on it. a couple of days ago I decided to change the air filter as I didn't have anything better to do. I had read numerous posts about this change and thought these guys must not be very mechanically inclined to make this such a big deal of this. After 2 days I have had a complete change of heart and a lot of respect for you guys. My question is; when I removed the filter I noticed a small amount of (what appeared to be) oil in the trays around the intakes. Is this normal ? the bike has never used any oil. Pleas help. Gene
Ps. I'd like to meet the guy that designed this filter system. He had to study under the Marquis De Sade.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Got to agreee that the air filter placement SUCKS! Very poor design location for such a required maintenance interval item. No way it should ever be where it is. Yes, there most always will be some residue around the bottom of the air filter case. Once you've changed it, the 2nd time will be MUCH easier.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Having done the change myself, and from other posts, what you found is normal. And if you run across the idiot who put the filter where it is, let the rest of us know. We would like to give him/her a piece of our minds.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Once you do it once then it gets easier to do. Luckily it only has to be done every 25 or 30K. Mine was not that dirty at 25k so next time I will let it go longer before changing. Oil is normal and can be just wiped out with a paper towel. It comes from the crankcase breather.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
air filter

Thanks for the info guys. The filter wasn't in bad shape after 19000 and I will sure let it go for another 20000 before I tackle it again. I'm sure it will be easier the next time if I don't forget how I did it. Thanks again, Gene

1 - 6 of 6 Posts