GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual states the filter should be changed every 12k miles.

According to my shop manual, the work required to change the filter looks very $$$$$.

When you last changed yours, how dirty was it?

I'm thinking about changing it at 18K miles.....

Thanks!

wing_man

·
Registered
740 Posts
airfilter

Just changed the filter on my 02 at 18K. It was dirty but not as bad as I had expected. I'm sure riding conditions contribute to how fast it gets dirty.
Bob VanNess
Royal Oak, MI

·
Registered
988 Posts
Just changed mine for the 3rd time @ just over 50K so that's about every 16-17K miles. They were always dirty enough I was glad I did it.

I buy an air filter with each case of oil and 3 oil filters I order from HDL. I work on (approximately) 5K oil change intervals so it works out that I try to change the filer about every 3rd oil change.

It now takes me 1-2 hours start to finish which includes stopping for a cold adult beverage before putting it all back together. So it's really not that hard at all. Good way to gain familiarity with the inards of the beast.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just changed mine at 29,000 km. It was somewhat dirty but not to the point that I would nomally change it...but since I had the top shelter off....

Where I normally ride we do not get a lot of dust in the air.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Depends on your riding style. If you rack up a lot of miles in a short amount of time on clean roads you aught to be able to go twice what the book says. If you ride a lot of dirt roads then you had better change the filter by the book or less. Also the high volume performance air filters have a much more coarse micron rating so will also suck in more dirt than a stock filter. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I change oil and filter every 4,000 miles. I've invested a bunch of money in my Wing....no sense going CHEEP and running clean oil through a dirty filter.

Zippeer

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Changed mine at about 20K, it was not too bad and it gets pretty dusty here. I would not worry about it at 12K.

Also, it looks intimidating to DIY but it is not that hard, just go slow and keep track of all the parts and where they go. Definitely need a service manual or Fred's DVD.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I think it has to do were you live but here were I live I have changed the air filter on three Wings at 16000 miles and all three looked like they could have gone another 16000 miles. I'm changing my air filter at around 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Changed mine at 38,000 miles. Pretty dirty.Probably should have changed around 25-30K.I plan to do it again at 65K.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I've found that a schedule of every 24,000 miles works best for my Wing. After doing this five times now, the filter is dirty and ready for changing, but so bad that I feel I have left it in too long.

DaleC

Here is a sample:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here's mine at 20600 miles:

This filter sucked air through Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Iowa and Nebraska. All types of weather and temprature ranges.

Install looks much more difficult that it actually is:

WGW

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wgwgoldwing said:
Here's mine at 20600 miles:

This filter sucked air through Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Iowa and Nebraska. All types of weather and temprature ranges.

Install looks much more difficult that it actually is:

WGW
Gosh .... Hey -- Thanks to all for the quick response!

Based on all of your inputs, I'll change my air filter at 24K miles, and
I'll also perform the labor myself!

Thanks all!

wing_man

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you have a factory shop manual it gives good details on how to but it does not tell you how to unclip the radio switches. you just have to feel for the little tab to release the rest is fairly simple if you are even a little bit machanical. Just take your time and don't force anything

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Every 12K like the manual says but after reading the Honda manual I would have had the dealer change the air filter. The book leaves out alot of things that you need to know as far as how to remove trim, where little tabs are, how certain plugs are disconnedted, etc. all of those things are shown to you in Freds videos. I bought Freds Videos and now I would do it myself. Seeing it done works better for me then reading it. I figure the labor charge for changing the filter would cost more then Freds videos so the first filter change paid for the videos. Thanks Fred.

Reactions: All Boots No Saddle

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WinginHunk said:
Get the Shop manual, and Fred's DV's if you can. If not, Fred has a picture how to at:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/airfilter
Be sure and check the rest of Fred's photo site for other "how to's"

If you want more instruction, go to the "Bikers Workshop Series:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/bikersworkshopmenu.htm
The air filter install is item 15, and you can even download a movie that shows you how.

Thanks WinginHunk!
I viewed Steve Saunder's video. It will help a lot.
I think I will allocate an entire day for this job.....
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts