GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Haven't changed it yet at 27K...maybe I'll do it at 32K along with the valve adjustment. No power or MPG loss, so I ain't worried about it. :)

Changing it at 12K is just ridiculous, considering all you have to go through! :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
Changing it at 12K is just ridiculous, considering all you have to go through!
So true - When I cleaned mine it was not very dirty and certainly did not need to be changed. I will probably get a new one this winter and then change it I will have close to 100K on it then.
That syntetic air is much much cleaner than the regular stuff you know.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Kikker said:
I live in a small town area with a lot of dust and dirt. I suspect I will be changing mine more often.
The first sign that the air filter needs changing is when you have a noticeable loss of fuel mileage.
The fuel mileage indicater is not a good indicator because by the time you get to that point you have already sucked in a ton of dirt through your engine which will definately shorten it's life. In fact your mileage loss is not the first sign but the last sign. You should never get to that point. Cheers. :)

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The fuel mileage indicater is not a good indicator because by the time you get to that point you have already sucked in a ton of dirt through your engine which will definately shorten it's life. In fact your mileage loss is not the first sign but the last sign. You should never get to that point. Cheers. :)
stick405,
You're absolutely correct. I don't wait long enough to find that out I was only suggesting that for those that have noticed their fuel mileage dropping off would be a good indicator if they haven't serviced the air filter on a regular schedule.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I finally did that dreaded job. I was going to wait till this winter, but I hope to ride the Rockies with y'all in Sept. I'd like to keep up, I might even change the plugs.
The clock says 29k, the filter is probably original. I'd bet the hickory nut came from my yard last winter, I'm sure I'll need those screens.
The next change will probably be in another 20-30k.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I change my air filter every year. That means it is somewhere between 8 and 22 K miles.

·
Vendor
16,856 Posts
I finally did that dreaded job. I was going to wait till this winter, but I hope to ride the Rockies with y'all in Sept. I'd like to keep up, I might even change the plugs.
The clock says 29k, the filter is probably original. I'd bet the hickory nut came from my yard last winter, I'm sure I'll need those screens.
That's an extremely dirty air filter. When I see ones like that, and because I remove and open up many 5th gen engines, the inside of your engine will look similar to others engines that got infrequent air filter changes. For me, when I don't replace my home's heater/ac filter, the furniture around the house gets super dusty. The same is occurring on the inside of your engine.

There's a reason why the Honda engineers who wrote the Maintenance Schedule says it needs replaced every 12k or sooner.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I finally did that dreaded job. I was going to wait till this winter, but I hope to ride the Rockies with y'all in Sept.
I'm headed to the Rockies Saturday Morning!!! With a quick stop at Sturgis before hand. Ohio - Sturgis - Montana- down south through the Rocky Mountains - Utah.... and then see where from there... depending on the craziness' of the world out there!

·
Vendor
21,779 Posts
FYI, the air filter in new generation WIng (2018 and on) gets dirtier much quicker than the one on the previous generation did. Part of the reason is because it is smaller, and part of it is probably due to the new circular airflow designed into the airbox. The end result is that after about 12-15K miles, it's really pretty dirty and needs to be changed.

Here are some photos of one I took out of a bike with about 18K miles on it. It was overdue.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That filter was over due for changing.
My 2001 turned over 60k miles yesterday. I've had it a year now and put on about 6500 miles. Did the steering stem bearings this spring but have no idea if/when the air filter was changed. Never asked about it when I bought it as an air filter change didn't seem like a big deal. Fuel mileage averages 44-46 mpg when not towing the trailer(s) and even then on the North Shore trip towing 2 up we averaged almost 42 mpg.
I guess it's best to change it after this season wraps up in October before putting it to rest for winter.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Two changes in 66k miles. No plans to do it anytime soon, probably this winter.
My gas consumption, if that's an indicator, has gone down as I put miles on the bike. I'm thinking a range 40-45 mpg at this point.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,897 Posts
I did mine at 13,000 miles and it could have gone longer, but I seldom ride on dirt roads or in dusty environments.

·
Vendor
47 Posts
Two changes in 66k miles. No plans to do it anytime soon, probably this winter.
My gas consumption, if that's an indicator, has gone down as I put miles on the bike. I'm averaging 40-45 mpg at this point.
40-45mpg? What year is your wing cause that's a bunch more than I get on my 2006.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
IMG_0863.JPG

[/QUOTE]
I found nothing wrong with my filter after 30,000 miles....(I didn't see any reason to change it...) LOL

21 - 40 of 58 Posts