GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Two changes in 66k miles. No plans to do it anytime soon, probably this winter.
My gas consumption, if that's an indicator, has gone down as I put miles on the bike. I'm averaging 40-45 mpg at this point.
40-45 isn't an "average", that's a "range".

·
Registered
927 Posts
That sure is great mileage

That filter was over due for changing.
My 2001 turned over 60k miles yesterday. I've had it a year now and put on about 6500 miles. Did the steering stem bearings this spring but have no idea if/when the air filter was changed. Never asked about it when I bought it as an air filter change didn't seem like a big deal. Fuel mileage averages 44-46 mpg when not towing the trailer(s) and even then on the North Shore trip towing 2 up we averaged almost 42 mpg.
I guess it's best to change it after this season wraps up in October before putting it to rest for winter.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I will look through my left pocket every spring with a tele camera, to make sure there is no mice activity
And you can see how bad it is some what for dirty ness
Change about 30,000

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
40-45mpg? What year is your wing cause that's a bunch more than I get on my 2006.
That's probably honda-miles/gallon if his bike has an uncorrected speedo/odometer, so his actual MPG is lower than that.
My calculated MPG dropped a bit when I installed the Yellow Box on my bike. Mine is adjusted to make the speedo read correctly and therefore the odo reads slightly low, but a more accurate MPG than OEM.

·
Vendor
44 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
That's probably honda-miles/gallon if his bike has an uncorrected speedo/odometer, so his actual MPG is lower than that.
My calculated MPG dropped a bit when I installed the Yellow Box on my bike. Mine is adjusted to make the speedo read correctly and therefore the odo reads slightly low, but a more accurate MPG than OEM.
Yes, and my mileage as reported above is with OEM setup also so the mileage is "inflated" a bit. Although the speedo is off about 4 mph at typical cruise speeds the odometer reports fairly close to accurate. Similar to my VWs...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Funny, but when I triked my wing the speed is right on now with what the gps says. Didn't do anything to address speed differences
What tire(s) did they fit on the rear??

·
Registered
844 Posts
My trike came with Falken rear tires, Never heard of them but they say made in the USA(y)
I guess I meant what size(s) they used that brought the speedo into acceptable accuracy.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Did my first air filter change at around 30,000 miles. Didn't look too bad. That is Midwest riding. No real dusty or dirt conditions.

Most annoying part is when you take the fasteners out of the top shelter, you have to keep them sorted because they have to go back in specific locations.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Someone on this board a long time ago posted to take a piece of cardboard and sketch a pattern looking like the wing area where the screws are and number the screws and holes and stick the screws into their proper holes in the cardboard. Made the job much easier at assembly . I took some little pans I saved for the job bout the size of a single muffin and wrote on the bottom what went in them worked very well on mine and other wings. Another tip is:: LIST ALL connectors and number them and make sure you check them off the list as you reconnect them.. Those PLUS a few SMART PHONE photos will make the PIA job much more doable..

One thing I found out right away was the (4ea side) screws for the caliper covers & front fender ( are NOT the same diameter!! but VERY close) so they do NOT go in the same parts bin!!! YMMV!!!

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Someone on this board a long time ago posted to take a piece of cardboard and sketch a pattern looking like the wing area where the screws are and number the screws and holes and stick the screws into their proper holes in the cardboard. Made the job much easier at assembly . I took some little pans I saved for the job bout the size of a single muffin and wrote on the bottom what went in them worked very well on mine and other wings. Another tip is:: LIST ALL connectors and number them and make sure you check them off the list as you reconnect them.. Those PLUS a few SMART PHONE photos will make the PIA job much more doable..

One thing I found out right away was the (4ea side) screws for the caliper covers & front fender ( are NOT the same diameter!! but VERY close) so they do NOT go in the same parts bin!!! YMMV!!!
Someone on this board a long time ago posted to take a piece of cardboard and sketch a pattern looking like the wing area where the screws are and number the screws and holes and stick the screws into their proper holes in the cardboard. Made the job much easier at assembly

That would be me and I believe others have done the same thing. I did that when I did the first filter change on my '01 way back when. ;)

Reactions: doug of no fl
41 - 58 of 58 Posts