GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

How many miles do you travel between air-filter changes on your 2018+ Goldwing

• 0-16K

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • 16K-32K

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • 32K-48K

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • 48K-64K

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 80K-96K

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 96K+

Votes: 2 4.3%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16K is painfully low mileage to be replacing an air filter on a modern engine. With the exceptional effort/cost associated with changing the filter, I thought I'd ask the group a question
How long did you wait to change your filter...and how bad was it. I get that this won't be scientific, in that each of us ride in different environmental conditions, which will have a big impact on how dirty it is...just wondering how far you all are pushing it.

I have a follow up question regarding K&N, which I will post separately.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had mine checked at 15k before a big ride last fall. My mechanic said it was so clean he just blew it out and put it back. I'll replace it at the valve check around 30k. At 25k now my mileage is still as good (45-50 mpg on average) as when he checked it.

·
IronMan
18,046 Posts
JUST DID A "TEST" CAME BACK NEGATIVE !! THE MASK IS WORKING .......

·
Registered
739 Posts
Too bad you specify 2018 + since many of us have not gone the 16K yet let alone 96K in 2-3 years.
However, I own a 1978 GL1000 that I bought new. I replaced oil and filter periodically. In 1990 car oil got "energy conserving" but no one told me so in 1992 my clutch started to slip but I soon rectified by changing to a Jaso MA certified oil in 1998. So my cutch slipped a bit for 6 years. Then it got better.

The GL recommendation was new air cleaner element every 3,600 miles. It was really really simple to get at. I took it out, shook it to see how much dirt and put it back in. At about 50,000 - 60,000 miles I replaced it.

Spark plugs were easy to access. Recommended replacement was 7,200 miles. Every year for a few years I took them out and looked. Still good they went back in. At 50,000 miles (see above) I bought a new air cleaner element and new spark plugs.

Coolant change recommendation was 25,000 but I waited till 50,000 (see above)

After all this neglect, what were the results?:
My clutch slipped a bit for 6 years using oil conserving oil.
Although I changed coolant the one time at 50,000 I forgot after and waterpump blew in 1993 at 150,000 miles.
Thats it. Bike still runs well and has more than 250,000 miles. I am not advising that Honda service intervals are extremely conservative. Just pointing out my sad, sad history.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,226 Posts
I just changed the air filter on my 2018 at 20k miles..it was pretty dirty..much more so than the air filter on my 2003 was with only 20k miles. This 2018 plus model will require the air filter to be changed close to the mileage that Honda calls for...the old model would go a easy 30k miles and the air filter would still not look all that bad..but this 2018 plus model is harder on the air filter for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
i had traxxion do my suspension so i had them change it at around 15-16,000 while they had it apart, otherwise i wouldve waited longer. it was in good shape.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I purchased a service plan when I bought the bike and it was changed at the scheduled interval. When they showed me the filter it did not appear overly dirty. But, I do not often ride on dusty dirt or gravel roads for long periods of time. Honda has laid out their recommended service schedule it is ultimately up to us if we choose to follow it or not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
16K is painfully low mileage to be replacing an air filter on a modern engine. With the exceptional effort/cost associated with changing the filter, I thought I'd ask the group a question
How long did you wait to change your filter...and how bad was it. I get that this won't be scientific, in that each of us ride in different environmental conditions, which will have a big impact on how dirty it is...just wondering how far you all are pushing it.

I have a follow up question regarding K&N, which I will post separately.
I live in the Great Lakes area and replaced my air filter at 32000 miles. I think it could have gone another 10-15 thousand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I was "in there" anyway due to right radiator replacement recently at about 20+ thousand miles, so I replaced what was still a perfectly functional air filter. It had a bug or three and some dried leaf litter and some modest dust and it was a little discolored; but no where near the point where it would be restrictive. I live in a very rural setting and riders using busy highways and lesser air quality may find shorter filter life. I was happy to see NO evidence of Mrs. Mouse in the air box or the wiring harnesses.

prs

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,226 Posts
20210508_170432.jpg

20210508_170426.jpg

Here's my air filter at 20k miles..maybe not restricting air flow just yet but still very dirty compared to my 03 wings air filter at 20k miles..quite a few bugs and some leaves also made it to the air filter

·
Vendor
18,992 Posts
My bank account says to shut up, and tell them to do what they want !!!

However, not changing an air filter at least every 16k, or sooner, is like a 2 pack-a-day smoker telling the Dr that he's never felt better.

Does anyone wanna guess if this engine had frequent oil/oil filter, and air filter changes ??? To my knowledge, there are no exceptions to the rest of the story !!!

·
IronMan
18,046 Posts
COMPARED TO WHAT ! ?????

·
Vendor
18,992 Posts
COMPARED TO WHAT ! ?????
Compared to these.

So tell me, which one(s) got bad maintenance, and which one(s) got good maintenance ???

·
Registered
900 Posts
Of the three pics the bottom one has apparently had more oil changes but with the engine being out of the frame maybe no so much.. You sell "service" just like Max sells "shocks" both will find a reason to visit.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,226 Posts
Of the three pics the bottom one has apparently had more oil changes but with the engine being out of the frame maybe no so much.. You sell "service" just like Max sells "shocks" both will find a reason to visit.
So he works on lots of Gold Wings..all he is doing is showing the difference between a well maintained engine and one that was not so well maintained. I don't see Greg trying to get any business with his posts...seems to me Greg comes here for the same reasons we all do...posts like yours make people not to want to share what they experience...and without that, what good is this forum.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I actually enjoyed looking at the pictures. I would otherwise probably not see the insides of the engine let alone a comparison. I did not take his post as selling anything. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
861 Posts
Soo what broke on each of these engines that they were torn down? It doesn't seem oil choices prevented a tear down of the clean engine.

Reactions: remoandiris

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,226 Posts
Soo what broke on each of these engines that they were torn down? It doesn't seem oil choices prevented a tear down of the clean engine.
Probably the ADG...one of the design flaws with the old model

1 - 20 of 29 Posts