GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a good portion of my bike apart today for general maintenance and deep cleaning. When I looked in at the air filter through the inlet openings, the filter looks new. I have 10k on it. The air filter wasn't on my list but upon referencing the manual, it says 12k is replacement time. I didn't get one from Hal and want to wait. Gas mileage is fine. Have multiple bikes and use this bike only for trips. About 5k a year. When did you guys do yours? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Had ours replaced on our 03, when we had ECM job done. That was at aprox. 14,000 miles, & still looked almost new. My mechanic said, unless you ride on dirt roads, you probably don't need to change the air filter till 20,000 miles+.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I replace mine once a year wether it needs it or not.
Mick :) :yw1:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I had mine replaced at 13k when I had the ecm done. $20 while the bike was apart. :lol:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Tourer

I changed th air filter in my 01 at 16,000, 47,000, & 71,500. IMO in most cases th air filter is good for air least 25-30,000 miles. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just replaced mine yesterday with 18,225 miles. It had a lot of life left in it, but, I want everything like new for a big trip this summer.

If you do your own work, taking all the parts off to access the filter isn't a bad idea anyway since you get to look around and see if there is anything loose or needing attention.

I'll do the fork oil next, a set of new tires, oil and filter, and then Easward Bound....................Yippppppeeeeeee!!!

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
changed the air filter at 40,000 looks like it would have easilly been good for another 40,000.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Replaced first one at 12,120 filter was very clean
replaced second one at 37,317 filter was not very dirty
replaced third one at 52,998 filter was clean.
I miss calculated and thought I had gone 25k not 15k from the last change. I will change it again in 40k miles

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I'm having mine changed this week while the dealer is changing the ECM. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be changing it for at least another riding season. (I ride approximately 15,000 miles a season, bike has 17,000 miles on it now).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts