GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am no mechanic, so for those that are, please excuse this question. In a past post here, it was mentioned that changing the air filter when the schedule calls for checking the evaporative emission control system would be a good time because they would be right there to do it. In my case, this would be at the 24K mark. Is this correct?

tia.......Rich

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Here's what the 05 Service manual has to say (pg 3-15)

EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM
Remove the air cleaner housing (page 5-91).
Check the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister, which is located in front of the engine, for cracks or damage.
Check the hoses between the fuel tank, EVAP canister, EVAP purge control valve solenoid and throttle body for deterioration, damage or loose connections.
Also check that the hoses are not kinked or pinched.
Refer to the Vacuum Hose Routing Diagram Label and Cable & Harness Routing (page 1-23) for hose connections and routing.

It looks like the only reason to remove the air cleaner housing is to inspect hoses. If you think your hoses have deteriorated in 24k, then you should check them. And doing it while you're in there changing the air cleaner makes sense.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I am glad that you posted this so I won't have to start another Air Filter thread. :lol: :lol:

I am about to do some winter maintenance and the filter is on the list at 42+K, I think that it will need at least looking at. I have used the search to look for paper or K&N, with several iterations of wording. I may as well be looking at the general index.

Question is. Is the K&N better or is it a head ache, versa paper. I know it is a pain to change. I'm not asking about that, just information on the filter itself.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
KJ5IX said:
I am glad that you posted this so I won't have to start another Air Filter thread. :lol: :lol:

I am about to do some winter maintenance and the filter is on the list at 42+K, I think that it will need at least looking at. I have used the search to look for paper or K&N, with several iterations of wording. I may as well be looking at the general index.

Question is. Is the K&N better or is it a head ache, versa paper. I know it is a pain to change. I'm not asking about that, just information on the filter itself.
K&N filter is permanent, but needs to be cleaned (with water & K&N cleaner, you have to purchase a cleaning kit, about $12) and reoiled. I've used them in the past and it's a PITA to wait for the filter to dry before you can oil and reinstalled it. There have also been questions as to there filtering ability compaired to paper. When I used the K&N in my truck it left an oily/dirty residue in my throttle body. It didn't cause a problem, but I didn't like that and removed it.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I used a K&N in my Harley Dyna... like the previous post... it left dark
oily smudges in the intake behind the filter... I went back to a paper filter
but on my Dyna.. it takes all of 30 seconds to change the filter...

cosmic

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have also heard people complain about the k&n letting too much through. As involved a process as changing air filters are, I would just use the factory one. I ordered a couple of them and a bunch of oil filters from Hal right after ordering my bike.I also got a set of oem brake pads. These are just good items to have in stock. I also keep a emergency set of tires . I use a k&n on my jeep but that is a snap to get to.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I believe that a clogged K&N filter will work better than a clogged paper OEM filter. Taking in consideration the location of where it's at, an oversighted rider might not perform the replacement of the filter on a scheduled maintenance interval, and forgo checking it. This is where the K&N filter is better.

I clean it using Simple Green and let it soak in it until all the old oil is off the filter. Once it's clean and dry, I spray it with an oil spray can that I bought from K&N.

As far as the K&N letting small dirt particles through that the paper filter doesn't, I'm not sure about that. Where have you guys heard that?

Thanks for any reply.

Mike

·
Registered
428 Posts
K&N Air Filter

I have used K&N on all four of my bikes and in my cars. Never a problem.
I now have one in my 2005 and intend to run it at least 20K even in the desert that I live in. Very easy to clean with the K&N kit.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The only time I thought a K&N beniffitted me, was on my Jeep that I took off-road a lot. I would trash up an air cleaner in one outing, so being able to clean the K&N and re-install saved me a bunch of money.

·
Registered
428 Posts
K&N Air Filter

My K&N runs about a needle width cooler in the summer time even when I am out in Death Valley every few weeks. I have been out there on the bike at a registered temp of 126 degrees and the needle still stays put.

G

·
K&N filters are one of the most successfully marketed and hyped aftermarket parts in the automobile/motorcycle business. More power to them. They have done a h**l of a job.

Fact is that nothing will last longer or work better than your OEM air filter in your car or bike, and K&N filters do not filter as well as OEM.

A K&N filter (or similar other) may be better for a very high performance engine that needs far more intake air, but the OEM filters in our stock cars and bikes provide way more air than your engine needs, even when dirty.

And there is no reason whatever that any engine will run cooler with a K&N filter. Sorry..simply urban legend.

Ride safe. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Italian Stallion said:
I believe that a clogged K&N filter will work better than a clogged paper OEM filter....
Many years ago I was working as a branch manager for an automotive parts store chain. During one of our manager's meetings, a rep from maybe Fram or Purolator (can't remember which) showed us a film (yes, film) comparing their brand to a few others including K&N.

The film depicted new air filters placed in a chamber to show CFM air flow. I don't remember the data but K&N did have a lower CFM flow rate then most of the other filters.

FWIW, we elected not to pick up the K&N line…

·
Registered
128 Posts
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

There are a number of home style studies on the effectiveness of aftermarket filters. In this study they used a paper filter AFTER the test filter and made subjective comments on the results. (scroll to the end of the page)

It was pretty apparent though that paper filters actually FILTER pretty well. I believe that I will stay with the paper filter by Honda.

G

·
Italian Stallion said:
I believe that a clogged K&N filter will work better than a clogged paper OEM filter. Taking in consideration the location of where it's at, an oversighted rider might not perform the replacement of the filter on a scheduled maintenance interval, and forgo checking it. This is where the K&N filter is better.

I clean it using Simple Green and let it soak in it until all the old oil is off the filter. Once it's clean and dry, I spray it with an oil spray can that I bought from K&N.

As far as the K&N letting small dirt particles through that the paper filter doesn't, I'm not sure about that. Where have you guys heard that?

Thanks for any reply.

Mike
How can one CLOGGED filter work better than a different CLOGGED filter.

:?: :?: :?: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Interesting concept.

FYI Mike, many tests have been done by independent labs, and K&N filters do not filter out particulates as small as OEM filters do. It may be that thay last longer before becoming CLOGGED, but guess why that is? They aren't catching as much airborne junk before it is ingested into your engine.

Use what ya like man. OEM for me. Probably not a huge deal one way or the other.

Ride safe. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
428 Posts
K&N Air Filter

O.K., call me deaf, dumb, blind, hellucinating, sucking more dirt or whatever, I know what I see, and that heat indicating needle is a needle width lower in Death Valley in the hot summer than with an OEM filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts