GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock: Will be coming up on 12k on my 2008 gl1800 when the snow finally melts this spring. I was thinking of requesting that the air filter not be replace just yet, when I take it to the dealer for service. I'd wait until probably 18k.
What should I expect from the dealer as far as voiding the warranty? The bikes has been ridden in the rain maybe twice and never gets very dusty.
Just hate to see all those parts removed for nothing.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I didn't replace mine until 25K and then it wasn't real dirty. Riding on highways won't dirty them up nearly as fast as riding on dusty dirt roads or in windy, dusty areas.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just changed mine on my '04 with 18,500 miles, Yea I know I don't ride enough, and if I didn't have it torn down to there anyway, I wouldn't have changed it. Wasn't very dirty at all.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
air filter

forget the dealer,
change the oil & filter yourself - very easy.
Air filter does not need to be changed for another 12,000 miles unless you are riding in very dusty conditions.
keep receipts, no warranty issues.

·
Florida Moderator
4,616 Posts
We don't have any "mise" down here in Florida. What do they look like? Just kidding, LOL. But we do have big Alley Gadders that like to chew on the filter.

Tom

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
here mice are baby rats

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
When living in Florida, not necessary to change the air filter until 28,000 miles. It was time by then.

No warranty issues.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Mise is multiple meeses. We have a few of them there alley gadders around too.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Had my '06 apart for sidecar installation last new years (2008 that is) at 31,000. Didn't have a replacement filter so we blew out the original OEM one and reinstalled it. Finally installed a new filter at 48,000. Wasn't especially dirty other than the giant swallowtail and dragonflies in it. Whilst it was apart for the filter gzinta, installed highbeam silverstars, headlight dancers, sparkplugs, oil change and a couple other items.

Ride long and safe..and lookin' forward to Wing Ding.

John L
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6 TE
'08 Hannigan GTL sidecar

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
We don't have any "mise" down here in Florida. What do they look like? Just kidding, LOL. But we do have big Alley Gadders that like to chew on the filter.

Tom
I think that there is a certain mouse in Orlando that may disagree with you :lol:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I changed mine for the first time at 30K. It wasn't that dirty, changing at 12K is a waste of money. It's not that difficult to do yourself and will save you a couple hundred dollars. If they even talked about it being a warranty issue I would find myself another dealer.

I have a couple of really cool dealerships that know me and treat me right. The steering head bearings was replaced with the steel tapered bearings and the wobble has never returned. It was done under warranty. The dealer said that if he couldn't get the factory to pay he would take care of it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Had my '06 apart for sidecar installation last new years (2008 that is) at 31,000.

Went to Key West last year via the Florida turnpike. Toll booth operators kept wanting to charge me for three axles because of my sidecar. Had to fight it at every booth. Watch out for this, or have a sunpass for the pike.
Changed my filter at 25k, looked like new.

Harvey
DS#30

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I plan on changing my in a few weeks. You don't want to know how many miles are on it!:wrong: Just can't seem to stop riding long enough to change it. I have noticed a slight drop in MPG in the last couple thousand miles, so I have one on order and am waiting for it.
As for the mises/ muses, mise, mouses, elk, etc. if you ride the bike all year, they shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As for the mises/ muses, mise, mouses, elk, etc. if you ride the bike all year, they shouldn't be a problem.
Amen, brother. Ride 'em year round. Fix 'em when they break. If I don't get 25 - 30K miles per year I feel cheated.
Rock

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
doesn't the honda recommend that the air filter be changed every 16000 miles? I have 48,000 on my 08 and am taking mine in to change the air filter this weekend....am I wasting my money? the last change was at 32000. I did not see the last one to know if it was dirty or not, can you just blow the dirt out? :shrug:

·
Registered
552 Posts
doesn't the honda recommend that the air filter be changed every 16000 miles? I have 48,000 on my 08 and am taking mine in to change the air filter this weekend....am I wasting my money? the last change was at 32000. I did not see the last one to know if it was dirty or not, can you just blow the dirt out? :shrug:
Yes at 16K your wasting your money. I changed mine at 30K and it could have went a little longer. I guess if you ride on gravel roads most of the time it should be replaced at 16K. It's not a big deal to change yourself, just a little time consuming. It is hard enough to get to that and at 30K it needs replacing so you would not want to blow it out with air. What's the dealer going to charge to replace the air filter? Oh my valves were in specs as well at 32K, I have used Amsoil full synthetic since 500 miles and that makes a big difference on wear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts