GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
There is no way I would ever attempt that....
Could they have made it any more difficult to get at the freaking air cleaner?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yes, the steve saunders site has a wealth of information. A friend has an 04 and we are about to tackle his aircleaner filter. I'm glad I have the video to show the way.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Could they have made it any more difficult to get at the freaking air cleaner?
Huh? You want some snot nosed goober working on your bike? Be carfule who you have working on your bike. You will be a lot more careful than they will.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This air filter is going to suck to change. :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
After installing it in my friends 04, I can give the following tip. You don't need to remove the reverse module or the ECM like Steve shows in his video. Just disconnect the wires (like steve shows) and unbolt the base and everything comes away clean. I don't know why he removed the two items from the base except that he might have been wanting to make the video cleaner.

Also, when removing the screws holding on the top shelter, mark each screw with ink dots using a sharpy. Start with one dot on the inner screw, and then two dots on the outer screw and add additional dots for the remaing screws in sequence to the bottom of the fairing shelter. This will make it easier to reinstall all the screws in the correct locations since they are different lengths.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks this is all good info to have as I am waiting on HAL to ship my new air filter.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
That's good info! Freds DVD's are better and you'll save the purchase price the first time.....

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I couldn't agree more.

Find a good honest wrench, pay him what it's worth plus a pizza, and use your time for riding.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Changed out air filter

Just completed changing the air filter.Time consuming but not hard, just read my Honda maintenance manual step by step.Approx 1 1/2 hrs to take apart and 1 1/2 to put back together.Dealer wanted $316.to change air cleaner or $520. for 24,000 maintenance for about $50 bucks in parts I suprised myself and did it.Waaa Hooo :>)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Just completed changing the air filter.Time consuming but not hard, just read my Honda maintenance manual step by step.Approx 1 1/2 hrs to take apart and 1 1/2 to put back together.Dealer wanted $316.to change air cleaner or $520. for 24,000 maintenance for about $50 bucks in parts I suprised myself and did it.Waaa Hooo :>)

WOW I had no idea they wanted that much. Geeze! Glad we did it ourself.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not much to it, once you have Freds vids or the service manual. Like anything you haven't done it seems daunting at first. Take your time, relax and don't worry.

Wait till you tackle 3 throttle cables. I'm just doing the assembly after replacing the cables and was initially worried but as in the filter change, it's not as bad as you think once you understand the way the bike is designed and assembled.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is very easy to do. It is mind over matter. As others have said take your time, relax and remember to look at the videos as often as needed. Also think about how much gas and or safety bling you can buy with the money you save.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It's really as the guy said a little work but not hard as you would think
I number the screws top to bottom , each side with sharpie
and if an 06 or above DO NOT remove grill covers as shown they don't come off like this , as shown was 05 and less.
while your in there do all the other stuff, adjust cruise, shield for cruise actuator, run power wires for future use, ect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Finally got around to changing mine on Saturday. Its not bad at all and after all was complete I said to myself "good job" not left over parts!:thumbup: Then about 6:30 AM Sunday morning laying in bed listening to the news on TV "ding" :shock:, a light went off and I couldn't remember plugging in that little connector on top of the air box...but did I and just didn't remember? I then strated going through the procedure in my mind and was sure I had forgot that connector? Later that day when I disassembled the bike once again I was right I had missed plugging in that connector! So a word of experience take your time and look everything over good before reassembling.;)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
AH, the good old days (GL1000) when the only nut you had to remove was the wing nut on the air cleaner housing. The whole job, maybe 3 min!

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm not going to tackle mine until next spring, but besides marking screws, it might not be a bad idea to jot down how many connectors you take apart and cross them off as you put things back together so you don't forget one....pain in the butt to take it all apart again cause you missed a connector....ride safe....

Scott

·
Registered
152 Posts
Steve's videos are on his site HERE.

However, the videos that are the essential tool box item are Freds "Angel Ride Videos," available HERE.

Hope that helps...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts