GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that when you change your air filter and miss a plug in connection and put it all back togather, even the Wind Wings
people will laugh at you for several days? :nojoke::wrong:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
My mechanic did just that when he changed my air filter. The FI light kept blinking, so he knew he did something wrong. He, of course, could not charge me for the additional time he spent in removing the shelter (again) in order to fix the connector. He wasn't laughing, however. I couldn't help but smile (a little) :cool:

·
Registered
584 Posts
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Sorry, couldn't resist. :joke:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Did you know that when you change your air filter and miss a plug in connection and put it all back togather, even the Wind Wings
Tell me about it...

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I missed one plug the last time! It would run fine but none of the electronics would work. Did not take me near as long to fix that as it did to change the air filter.

·
Registered
619 Posts
do you mean like the radio antenna??? duh...........

·
Registered
3,699 Posts

Hmmmm...Your 1800 has to be newer then my '03.

I think my coolent tank is under the right pocket.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I changed the air filter last night, but the plastic is still on the workbench, I'm reluctant to put it back on until I'm confident I hooked everything back up!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Who told you I did that?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
What the average time without mistakes, to complete an air cleaner service?
I'm working on two weeks, no mistakes so far!:eek:4:

No really, it took me about an hour and a half to get it apart, but I could do it in less than 45 minutes now that I've done it. I didn't have the air filter when I started and the dealer didn't have one in stock and then I decided to add some farkles while I had it apart. Part of the problem the first time is the directions are in several different chapters of the manual and you do a lot of flipping back and forth. Once you've done it, its a lot easier the second time. I'm thinking its another hour to put it back together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
radio antenna wire

do you mean like the radio antenna??? duh...........
Funny you should say that about the antenna wire because I got a feeling that I forgot it when I changed my air filter a few weeks ago. Can anyone point out where it should roughly be in that picture. All I get is static now and I'll bet that is what I did. Thanks.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ah, the top of the abyss. A word to the wise, don't drop any screws, bolts or nuts here.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Funny you should say that about the antenna wire because I got a feeling that I forgot it when I changed my air filter a few weeks ago. Can anyone point out where it should roughly be in that picture. All I get is static now and I'll bet that is what I did. Thanks.
The antenna wire connector is above the gas cap in this pic. It is laying under the orange ringed multi-pin connector. It is the red sleeved single metal male pin. Look at the lower right area of the air filter to see it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What the average time without mistakes, to complete an air cleaner service?
About 1 1/2 hr the 2nd time. Took me about 2 1/2 hrs the 1st time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The radio antenna plug-in cable sould plug into the rear side of the radio unit, near its left rear corner, when viewed from behind looking toward the front wheel. You should be able to access it without removing the top shelter panel. Just do the necessary to enable taking the top shelter's rearmost flanges off the two frame threaded stud posts. All you need do is lift up the rear of the top shelter high enough to snake a hand in to plug the cable into the receptacle hole. Eyeball the area with a flashlight, first, then you'll be able to do it "by feel".

As far as the questions re avg time to R&R top shelter: The only hassle with removing Tupperware on these bikes are those damn Hitachi plug connectors.

They are an invention of The Devil, marketed and distributed by Marquis de Sade.

With the intricacy of detail they can mold into those connectors, God Forbid they design an integral press-to-release lever that could actually provide leverage force to press against and separate / release / push the male half of the plug-in connector out of of the female half socket.

That's make Life Too Easy. That's just one facet and a significant part of the overall Plan, Agenda and Goal.

Induce the Consumer to take it back to the Dealer for servicing, so we can charge ya $75 per hr Labor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts