GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I usually let mine go to 30K and they are never that bad. JMO. Others will have different takes on it.

Fred

·
Registered
995 Posts
I only changed mine at 26k miles on my '12 because i had most of it apart to install new Progressive spring on rear.
It wasn't that bad yet. Probably 50k miles max.
Depends how much dirty air you ride in.

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
Just did mine 49,000 was time !!! Doing front forks seals ' springs / bushings / tapered bearings - oil / filter / leds high beam

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Should I change my air filter on my 2012, just turned over 20,000 miles. Thanks.
Only if you want the inside of the motor to stay clean. I post pictures all the time of dirty engines on the inside. Engines that are poorly maintained become oil-burners sooner then if well maintained.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
For the record: I just changed mine last week at 22,000 miles.......
I am a clean freak (wash) all the time, i take it out for a ride, and almost every rainy day i sit in garage and wax her...
I never ride on dirt roads,
I never ride in rain (unless of course i get stuck in a storm while out riding) and that's been years since that has happened
It's ALWAYS garaged, never, never ever left outside....

Well when I changed mine I ***honestly freaked**** it was loaded with M&M's..... yes the candy, and I had a small mouse nest in my filter.... I have no idea where this mouse or M&M's came from....We have no mice in our garage, and it's just my wife and I so no body is eating M&m's and leaving dropped one's on the ground....????

Ronnie

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
I am a clean freak (wash) all the time, i take it out for a ride, and almost every rainy day i sit in garage and wax her...
I never ride in rain (unless of course i get stuck in a storm while out riding) and that's been years since that has happened

Well when I changed mine I ***honestly freaked**** it was loaded with M&M's..... yes the candy, and I had a small mouse nest in my filter.... I have no idea where this mouse or M&M's came from....We have no mice in our garage, and it's just my wife and I so no body is eating M&m's and leaving dropped one's on the ground....????

Ronnie
Less the rodent, your are describing how many 5th gen owners care for their Wing. They are always clean and shinny, but when it comes to proper maintenance, on a scale of 1-10, they'd receive a D. Here's the important thing to remember, maintenance is all about paying forward, and there can be everything wrong with not following Honda's maintenance schedule and doing it late. On the flip side, there can be everything right with doing it early. Early is far better than late.

Real examples of doing poor maintenance; Honda's brake recall surfaced (SB-23), and many owners have complained and are beginning to complain more about over heating issues.

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts

Ronnie
IF YA TAKE SCREEN OFF BACK SIDE OF "OLD" FILTER AND PUT IN VENT HOLES THE CRITTERS CANT GET IN . OR JUST KEEP A SNAKE IN GARAGE :surprise::wink2:

Reactions: Trebor1978

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Here is where I am...
There is the factory recommended filter change interval, then there is real life service.
If the conditions where one rides are dirty enough the filter may need to be changed earlier than factory recommendations.
If conditions where one rides are relatively clean, the service interval can be extended. It depends on conditions and where one is.
The more one changes the filter, the quicker the process will become. So there is a good argument for that.

For me, I don't have a rodent issue. I ride year round. I keep an eye on my servicing records and can check the Air filter with a bore scope through one of the air horns feeding the filter area. Factory recommended filter change is too soon in my situation. However there is no reason to wait for a filter to get filthy before changing.
For me, somewhere around 30,000 miles has indicated an only slightly dirty filter. I change it. No reason to let it go any more with that many miles!
There is no argument that a clean filter is best. Then I was at the AC-Delco labs we studied filtration. One of the favorite lines I remember from a service center representative.... "We don't use AC filters. They get dirty too fast"!!!!!!!! :eek:4:

Corventure Dave

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Here is where I am...
There is the factory recommended filter change interval, then there is real life service.
If the conditions where one rides are dirty enough the filter may need to be changed earlier than factory recommendations.
If conditions where one rides are relatively clean, the service interval can be extended. It depends on conditions and where one is.
The more one changes the filter, the quicker the process will become. So there is a good argument for that.

For me, I don't have a rodent issue. I ride year round. I keep an eye on my servicing records and can check the Air filter with a bore scope through one of the air horns feeding the filter area. Factory recommended filter change is too soon in my situation. However there is no reason to wait for a filter to get filthy before changing.
For me, somewhere around 30,000 miles has indicated an only slightly dirty filter. I change it. No reason to let it go any more with that many miles!
There is no argument that a clean filter is best. Then I was at the AC-Delco labs we studied filtration. One of the favorite lines I remember from a service center representative.... "We don't use AC filters. They get dirty too fast"!!!!!!!! :eek:4:

Corventure Dave
Bring your engine here, let's tear it apart to see if you change your mind :) My bet says you will !!! The reason ... your "point of view" is lacking a critical piece of information.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Air filter discussions interest me because I want to postpone an ugly job as long as possible. I keep reading posts like these waiting for someone to announce that their 100k interval presented an "ok" filter!

Caterpillar knows as much as anyone about air filtration replacement practices. Note the principle behind the service indicators in the linked brochure - they only work because dirty filters flow less air.

Heavy equipment maintenance protocols advise strongly against premature air filter changes, due to the opportunity to introduce dirt during the change-out. Greg, I wonder how much of the post-filter dirt you find in your tear downs is introduced during the filter change, keeping in mind that many contaminates are smaller than we can see.

It would be great to have a visual indicator like these on our Goldwings!

https://caterpillar.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C10467202

Lee

ps I reached out to Donaldson Filtration Solutions to learn if they have a suitable device for our rigs.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
BUT What causes dirt to get in to filter if motorcycle is NEVER ridden in dirty areas?
NEVER a dirt road
NEVER left outside
NEVER left dirty /cleaned after every ride and actually waxed every rain storm (in garage)

Do they recommend automobiles filters to be replaced as often??

Ronnie

I got to learn how to post a picture, so i can show you how my filter looked

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Greg,

If your implying about the "We don't use AC filters because they plug up too fast". That is an obvious joke! That tech was fooling himself.:banghead:

If a filter loads up too slow, it's obviously passing along a lot of dirt! The more debris it catches, the better job it's doing. At least until it gets to the point that its restricting air flow. And then it's been extremely neglected!

:capwin:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Less the rodent, your are describing how many 5th gen owners care for their Wing. They are always clean and shinny, but when it comes to proper maintenance, on a scale of 1-10, they'd receive an D. Here's the important thing to remember, maintenance is all about paying forward, and there can be everything wrong with not following Honda's maintenance schedule and doing it late. On the flip side, there can be everything right with doing it early. Early is far better than late.

Real examples of doing poor maintenance; Honda's brake recall surfaced (SB-23), and many owners have complained and are beginning to complain more about over heating issues.
Come on Greg - settle on a rating scale - 1 -10 or A - F. :grin2:

And am I mistaken that you said you didn't have this recall done? Not sure what your point is here.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts

And am I mistaken that you said you didn't have this recall done? Not sure what your point is here.
Honda had a major recall. It was called SB-23. As time passed they were eventually able to determine that the real problem was caused by owners not changing their brake and fluid every 12k. How would you score that one ??? For most, that's a flat 'F' ... but wait, two 'Fs', let's not forget that the clutch needs it's fluid changed then too.

Then there's the cooling system. It needs inspected and pressure tested every 8k, and the coolant changed every 2yrs/24k whichever comes first. Let's skip the 8k and go straight to the 2yrs or 24k. On my 07, that means my cooling system was changed and serviced 7 times. Last year while pulling a trailer, I think there were 3 of 6 other Wings lighting up the CB as their temp gauges were rising. Mine was not, and I was the only one pulling a trailer. I might add that mine was by far the oldest Wing, and with the highest mileage on it. I read here about over heating problems all the time.

Of those in that group, I can guarantee none have ever had their Secondary Air Supply, or their Evaporative Emission Control systems inspected. Have those systems been inspected on yours ???

That brings us to other important services such as changing the air filter every 12k or checking the reverse system every 8k. Just today, one left with over 60k on the ODM. One of his complaints was it popping out of reverse in cold weather. No ... he's not had his reverse system checked every 8k, or he would not be complaining about it now.

How's your side stand ??? Are you aware that it needs inspected every 8k. For most that means removed, cleaned, inspected, and lubed ... do you get an A+ on that one ???

Yes ... I've not had SB-23 done on my Wing. According to SB-23, if Honda is correct, mine does not need it. I've changed my brake and clutch every 12k.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Honda had a major recall. It was called SB-23. As time passed they were eventually able to determine that the real problem was caused by owners not changing their brake and fluid every 12k. How would you score that one ??? For most, that's a flat 'F' ... but wait, two 'Fs', let's not forget that the clutch needs it's fluid changed then too.

Then there's the cooling system. It needs inspected and pressure tested every 8k, and the coolant changed every 2yrs/24k whichever comes first. Let's skip the 8k and go straight to the 2yrs or 24k. On my 07, that means my cooling system was changed and serviced 7 times. Last year while pulling a trailer, I think there were 3 of 6 other Wings lighting up the CB as their temp gauges were rising. Mine was not, and I was the only one pulling a trailer. I might add that mine was by far the oldest Wing, and with the highest mileage on it. I read here about over heating problems all the time.

Of those in that group, I can guarantee none have ever had their Secondary Air Supply, or their Evaporative Emission Control systems inspected. Have those systems been inspected on yours ???

That brings us to other important services such as changing the air filter every 12k or checking the reverse system every 8k. Just today, one left with over 60k on the ODM. One of his complaints was it popping out of reverse in cold weather. No ... he's not had his reverse system checked every 8k, or he would not be complaining about it now.

How's your side stand ??? Are you aware that it needs inspected every 8k. For most that means removed, cleaned, inspected, and lubed ... do you get an A+ on that one ???

Yes ... I've not had SB-23 done on my Wing. According to SB-23, if Honda is correct, mine does not need it. I've changed my brake and clutch every 12k.

You missed my point. Nobody gets a "D" on a scale of 1 - 10. And I wasn't questioning attention to overall maintenance; just the brake recall issue.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
678 Posts
BUT What causes dirt to get in to filter if motorcycle is NEVER ridden in dirty areas?
NEVER a dirt road
NEVER left outside
NEVER left dirty /cleaned after every ride and actually waxed every rain storm (in garage)
I'm far from the best when it comes to maintenance I'm sure...but...its the lesser of 12K or every two years for me. I ride 5K a year on average. Believe me when I say I hate the process but I feel its important.

As to how dirt and crap gets into the cloistered air-box, I'm reminded of how the ancient Egyptians leavened their bread. They formed their dough AND LEFT IT IN AN OPEN WINDOW.:surprise:

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Believe it or not, there are some who think that the dirtier the air filter gets, the better it filters. What some don't under stand is that capture air particles live in a horrendous environment, of ever changing air currents, with more particles stacking behind old ones, and all are being pulled and pushed, trying to rip their way through the filter element. As some get through, it leaves behind a wider trail for more to follow. The dirtier the filter gets, the more air particle's rip through. The same is true with my house's a'c filter. If it does not get changed regularly, the more we have to dust. The same is true for the inside of the engine.

I'm currently working on one of the cleanest 5th gen engines that I've ever opened up. The reason ... frequent oil, oil filter, and air filter changes. This engine has 111,000 miles on the ODM.

The only thing laying on some of the ledges is clean oil. This one is less likely to be an early oil burner.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts