GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into checking/cleaning the air filter. After reading the bible, looks like quite a job removing all that tupperware. What are your experiences?

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
#1. You don't check it, you replace it! LOL....
#2. It's a bear to get to. Especially the first time.
#3. Probably good for at least 25,000 miles unless you ride moto cross. :wink:

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
kevin burton said:
Honda in UK say to change every 12000 miles must be to do with our weather.
So does ours, but have you ever seen a dirty one at 12,000 miles?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, since it says in the book to maintain more often if rode in rain etc..... and I have been in atleast one real bad rain, just thought I'd take a look at it.
But dont think I will bother with it for now.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Replaced mine the first time at 23,000 and it was still fairly clean, could have went 30,000.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I have replaced the air filters on three Wings at around 16000 miles and the filters on all three were still green and could have gone at least another 16000 miles. I am going to replace my filter at around 35000 miles but I would recommend at least looking inside the air box at least once a season.

You can look inside the air box when you have the top shelter off by removing the intake snorkel and looking in the hole. It's only one screw to remove the intake snorkel and it's a good idea to check the air box to make sure mice haven't moved in and built a nest on top of the air filter. I had a mouse build a nest in my trucks air box and I drive it everyday.

B

·
0 Posts
Like Red said, it's enough of a hassle that if you check it go ahead and replace it. They are pretty cheap from HDL anyway.

I have over 26,000 on mine and from what I hear here, I don't plan to change mine until maybe 40,000.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I agree that 12k miles is a bit too soon. However, those who've said it was still green might be missing the true condition of the filter. Air filters can look brand new, but when you shine a very bright light through them, they can be quite clogged. Next time you change it, take the new and old and hold them up so you can see the sun through them. This will tell you how dirty the old one is.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
If you remove the OEM filter, you should replace it. Whenevery you remove it, you compromise the integrity of the seal and could create a path for dirt to get into the engine.
K&N filters are probably a different story, I have never used one, so I can't say for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts