GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for any and all recommendations for an air filter for the 2003 GL 1800. The good, bad and the ugly.

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Use the OEM filter. It's the best for your bike.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am having a hard time understanding why I should pay almost $60.00 for one when there are models in the $20.00 range. I don't race the bike and have not read any positive write up on the K&N rechargeable filters. On Hal's site I don't see anything but the K&N and one other for $56.+ .

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have read all the posts to this is the best then someone says its that is the best. I just changed mine and used OEM 13.00, the old one in 25K wasnt all that bad. Now if I was riding across the desert dirt maybe I would have done something diff JMO

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am looking for any and all recommendations for an air filter for the 2003 GL 1800. The good, bad and the ugly.
stick with OEM and you can get away with a change every 24k with
no problems. If you use a K&N your mileage will go down and will
cost more in fuel and I didnt feel a big diff in performance to warrant
the extra cost in fuel

:cool:

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1, stay w/ oem, I took the K&N out of my '03, went oem, IF cleaning/changeing wasn't so assnign, might have stayed wirh the K&N.
My .02

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You can find the OME filter at HDL go to the OME parts section and parts finder.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
With such long intervals why not go O.E.M.? I changed mine at 21K it was barely dirty. I checked the next one at 35K or 14K since the first change it looked new. I'll probably go with 25K intervals unless I'm in there anyway.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
If I'm going to the trouble of digging down to the filter, I'm changing it and putting in an OEM from Hal. So far, I've done it twice, and so far I've managed to do a lot of other things while in there. This time I changed ALL fluids, brake pads, and added an EC power pad. Two leisurely days at about 2-3 hours a day, and I had it all knocked out.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
We just completed maintenance on a friends 04 with 69,000 miles and 34,000 since last plugs, air filter and coolant change. The plugs still looked great, hardly any gap growth, and I'd say the filter was maybe 40% blackend, I think both the plugs and the filter could go to 40,000 with no problem.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If you're lazy, like me, consider a K&N.

I've gone 90,000 miles with no cleaning on one (1981 GL1100) with no, I repeat, NO adverse effects.

If you're energetic and don't mind changing an air filter every 40K miles, go OEM and take the peace of mind.

But, for shiftless souls like myself, a K&N may be considered. I've currently got 52K on the one in my GL1800 (see signature) with no cleaning and she's going strong. I'll poke my nose in there in about 15,000 miles or so and give it a look. I predict all will be well, I'll give it a spritz of K&N air filter oil and then I'll then wait another 32,000 miles or so and give it another look.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I use the OEM filter and have changed it when I am doing something else that requires the shelter off. Have change it twice and am at 42K...even in the dusty desert area.

·
Banned
625 Posts
By far the best. EaAM27. Wholesale is $55.75. More info at https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaam.aspx?zo=1181889 . "AMSOIL has brought (oil-free) Nanofiber technology to the motorcycle market. AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Air Filters hold 15 times more dust than a wet gauze type filter (K&N). Their nanofiber media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filters (OEM) and 50 times more dust than wet gauze."

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
If you're energetic and don't mind changing an air filter every 40K miles, go OEM and take the peace of mind.
Hmm, I guess that is what I am then. I've changed my filter 6 times now at 24,000 mile intervals and I for one wouldn't want that dirty grimy stuff in my bike or engine with a K & N filter for 50 - 60 or heaven forbid 90,000 miles. Why - Why - Why?? A 24,000 mile interval is nothing in the way of effort. It's been a 90 minute project since the first time I did it long long ago, and with practice it gets less, so no real effort, and what a great feeling to know there is a clean new OEM filter in there doing it's job to keep dirty foul crap from getting into my engine.

Peace of mind with OEM every 24,000 miles ---- priceless!!

DaleC

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hmm, I guess that is what I am then. I've changed my filter 6 times now at 24,000 mile intervals and I for one wouldn't want that dirty grimy stuff in my bike or engine with a K & N filter for 50 - 60 or heaven forbid 90,000 miles. Why - Why - Why?? A 24,000 mile interval is nothing in the way of effort. It's been a 90 minute project since the first time I did it long long ago, and with practice it gets less, so no real effort, and what a great feeling to know there is a clean new OEM filter in there doing it's job to keep dirty foul crap from getting into my engine.

Peace of mind with OEM every 24,000 miles ---- priceless!!

DaleC
Dale,

I salute your energetic-ness!

However, I must disagree with several of your other assertions.

When I had about 80,000 miles on the K&N air filter I eventually logged 90,000 miles on without cleaning, I pulled it and inspected the interior of the air box. There was no, repeat, NO sign of "that dirty grimy stuff" in the air box. The bike burned no oil and the fuel mileage of the 125,000 mile engine was the same as it was when it was new.

Now, there are lots of reasons many folks prefer the OEM air filter. It is a fine product. However, I've never seen any dirt ingestion due to a K&N air filter, nor have I ever noticed any degradation in engine performance while using a K&N air filter.

And that's first-hand, real-world evidence. These are the facts, and I'm passing them on so that the good folks that frequent this board can make informed decisions.

Besides, I think you've sorely underestimated my level of sloth. :lol:

Ride safe! :yes1:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
<snip>
Now, there are lots of reasons many folks prefer the OEM air filter. It is a fine product. However, I've never seen any dirt ingestion due to a K&N air filter, nor have I ever noticed any degradation in engine performance while using a K&N air filter. <snip> /quote]

...So. In your opinion the oil wetted filter measurement appears to be as good as an OEM element? :shrug:

·
Registered
571 Posts
...So. In your opinion the oil wetted filter measurement appears to be as good as an OEM element? :shrug:[/quote]

And at only 5-times the cost

1 - 20 of 48 Posts